Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 AM

251 posts, read 1,066,121 times

Advertisements

Reading some of the threads on this board, there has been mention of some new apartment communities, as well as new neighborhoods, that have popped up around the Toyota plant. Can anyone tell me what the names of these are? I'd like to do a little research on them.

Thanks,

Chimp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 04:41 PM

260 posts, read 1,144,917 times
I thought the Hunter's Pond community looked pretty good back in December 2005 when we were looking for homes. The place was just getting started. We stopped by again 6 months later and it was coming together nicely. Still, it's in a risky area. You'd be making a bit of a gamble on the community prospering or falling to crime. Of note, Texas A&M is supposed to be building a new campus somewhere in that area as well. If you do your research, and don't mind the risk, South SA could be a decent investment.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 45,523 times
Default Communities near A&M

I just purchased my home in Hunter's Pond and love my Wall Home. I personally have not any problems with crime, etc. It's a very family oriented and quiet neighborhood. A&M is literally 5 minutes away from Hunter's Pond. My sister works for Toyota and says that Wall Homes sent out flyers to all Toyota employees offering them special incentives for employees. I highly recommend the neighborhood.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
I'm keeping this area on my list of "to look at" areas when I finally get to the point where I can afford to buy a home. It's close enough to downtown (and to work!) and to everything, but not too close. It reminds me of what the Northwest side of SA used to be like (but not for long if it continues its growth huh?)

I loved the Lago Vista neighborhood for a half a second, but googled it and found out about all the problems they've had in the neighborhood. I've also heard people bought in that neighborhood and now are renting, so it's not as peaceful as it used to be.

I'd be interested to hear about more neighborhoods in the area.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,140 times
I checked out a Lago Vista home last year when we were looking, its appearance is very charming and homes are pretty big, especially for the price. The downside is what Ashbeeigh mentioned, also there was literally 5-7 homes on several streets that were foreclosures. I saw one in particular and the outside was really nice, but the previous owners trashed the house before moving out. It was disgusting. I imagine that has to have had some impact on the value of the homes there. This 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 bath home we saw was selling for $65,000. Also, I THINK these were KB Homes, not sure if that makes a difference to the OP, but I know it does to some.

An ex coworker of mine bought a home in Mission del Lago. Plantation Homes | Mission Del Lago - Golf Course Community

Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I checked out a Lago Vista home last year when we were looking, its appearance is very charming and homes are pretty big, especially for the price. The downside is what Ashbeeigh mentioned, also there was literally 5-7 homes on several streets that were foreclosures. I saw one in particular and the outside was really nice, but the previous owners trashed the house before moving out. It was disgusting. I imagine that has to have had some impact on the value of the homes there. This 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 bath home we saw was selling for $65,000. Also, I THINK these were KB Homes, not sure if that makes a difference to the OP, but I know it does to some.

An ex coworker of mine bought a home in Mission del Lago. Plantation Homes | Mission Del Lago - Golf Course Community
I didn't notice when I replied this is a 2 year old thread I hate replying to dead threads.

But speaking of foreclosures in the area, the reason I was over there was because of a foreclosure. I have client who we're working with who bought a house over there specifically for her disabled daughter. Now they're working with us to stop their house from being foreclosed. They're the sweetest family ever.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 PM

72 posts, read 62,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
I thought the Hunter's Pond community looked pretty good back in December 2005 when we were looking for homes. The place was just getting started. We stopped by again 6 months later and it was coming together nicely. Still, it's in a risky area. You'd be making a bit of a gamble on the community prospering or falling to crime. Of note, Texas A&M is supposed to be building a new campus somewhere in that area as well. If you do your research, and don't mind the risk, South SA could be a decent investment.
what risk are you talking about? according to SAPD data the La Cantera and Stone Oak area have more DWI's, vehicle break ins, and homicides than the area around the Toyota plant. you must forget it is a pretty rural area compared to the rest of the South Side.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 PM

317 posts, read 307,726 times
I'm going to bring this thread back to life once again.
Are there any more recommendations for decent communities in this area near TMMTX? I currently work at the plant in California that Toyota will soon stop ordering from and apparently close (NUMMI). I've been there almost 10 years and really enjoy what I'm doing and believe in the way Toyota does business. One of many things I am considering is to attempt to get hired with Toyota at one of their other plants. San Antonio seems to be a desirable area, although I've never been there and know nobody there. Of course I would visit the area for a few days if I do seriously consider this. I would most likely rent, at least in the beginning while getting adjusted and figuring out what to do with my overpriced California condo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,942 times
That would be a nice plan, would Toyota be willing to transfer you over here?

Also a bit off topic, is Toyota still considered a Japanese company, do Japanese expats have to work in San Antonio with the new Toyota plant and where do they choose to live in San Antonio? Just curious because Japanese language is booming in NEISD schools.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:05 PM

317 posts, read 307,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
That would be a nice plan, would Toyota be willing to transfer you over here?

Also a bit off topic, is Toyota still considered a Japanese company, do Japanese expats have to work in San Antonio with the new Toyota plant and where do they choose to live in San Antonio? Just curious because Japanese language is booming in NEISD schools.
I wouldn't be able to 'transfer' anywhere. I work for NUMMI - Welcome to NUMMI.com. NUMMI is an independent company with one location that GM did and Toyota currently does contract with to build vehicles for them. This company is or was (not sure of the current status) jointly owned by both GM and Toyota. To work for Toyota, I would have to apply and go through the hiring process like everyone else. Any time I have vested with this company will go away once the company does. I don't know that this is what I want to do, but it is one of several options I am exploring.

I think it is fair to consider Toyota a global corporation of Japanese origin and that is based in Japan. Toyota has manufacturing or assembly plants in Japan, Australia, India, Canada, Indonesia, Poland, South Africa, Turkey, Colombia, the United Kingdom, the United States, UAE, France, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Czech Republic, Mexico, Malaysia, Thailand, Egypt, China, Vietnam, Venezuela, the Philippines, and Russia.

Toyota sends TMC coordinators to work in most or all of their plants around the world. I have only worked in one plant and its not even a Toyota plant, so I can't speak about others. But from what I understand, most plants have a number of coordinators from Japan working, training, teaching, and learning most of the time. They can be in the plant from days to years. I have no idea where they would live, that would be up to the company. Here in Fremont, CA, NUMMI or Toyota (not sure which) rents furnished apartments for them to live in a gated community in a nice area of town. It is across from a large park with a lake, water slides, tennis courts, softball courts, etc. The main library is down the street and shopping is not far away. I don't know what they do at their other plants, but I think it would be something similar.

Not being familiar with the area, I had to look up what NEISD schools are. I see that is one school district in SA. I don't know if the popularity of Japanese is related to Toyota now being in town or just coincidental. But I'm sure others on here who are familiar with goes on in that part of the country would be able to answer that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio