U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:57 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,006,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
You're describing that "ugly urban sprawl" that some newcomers really hate about this city. So you mean they caused it, but hate it??? I am soooo confused.
No Im describing all those new buisnesses outside of loop 1604 on the NW side . When i moved here I had to drive really far if i wated a pizza or a buger (except for the sonic) or get groceries. When I moved here I loved it instantly why? Theres not that many fakesters here, and its actually safe to roam the streets at night. and No Ghettobirds wakeing you up every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 04:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
No Im describing all those new buisnesses outside of loop 1604 on the NW side . When i moved here I had to drive really far if i wated a pizza or a buger (except for the sonic) or get groceries. When I moved here I loved it instantly why? Theres not that many fakesters here, and its actually safe to roam the streets at night. and No Ghettobirds wakeing you up every night.
Is that LA"speak"...please translate!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:13 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,006,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Is that LA"speak"...please translate!

lol
short and simple. if it werent for all the people that moved here I would have any shopping/food stores near me.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 PM

944 posts, read 2,801,645 times
As has been noted by others in this forum, I think that part of the reason that SA is provincial (something that many in this forum take pride in, alla "small town feel"), is that it is located at a South Texas crossroads well out of the way of necessity for most of the country.

I think that part of the Euro-vibishness of L.A. is attributable to hordes of actual Europeans living and visiting there! This is not to mention the trendy Persian influences, etc. True, some will argue that Europeans live in SA as well, as they do in Oklahoma City and any number of cities, but their critical mass in L.A. due to its being a cultural HUB makes it the most eclectic of places. San Antonio is not, nor will ever be, such a hub, and that's okay. It's just the way it is.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
As has been noted by others in this forum, I think that part of the reason that SA is provincial (something that many in this forum take pride in, alla "small town feel"), is that it is located at a South Texas crossroads well out of the way of necessity for most of the country.

I think that part of the Euro-vibishness of L.A. is attributable to hordes of actual Europeans living and visiting there! This is not to mention the trendy Persian influences, etc. True, some will argue that Europeans live in SA as well, as they do in Oklahoma City and any number of cities, but their critical mass in L.A. due to its being a cultural HUB makes it the most eclectic of places. San Antonio is not, nor will ever be, such a hub, and that's okay. It's just the way it is.
You're right, Hello. I've mentioned that aspect several times over the past couple of years. It's not just a "crossroad"....it's just flat out of the way and not a "port of entry" as many coastal cities are or even cities that have international airports that serve many nationalities. Really...going back to the original question....is SA like LA?....yes and no....which and what parts are debatable. I don't think anyone here feels SA is trying to compete with LA and all it's excessive everything...good and bad. You did say it accurately....it is what it is....and it really is "okay".

Old 09-20-2008, 02:20 PM

67 posts, read 59,047 times
The fact is, a lot of you have seemed to miss the actual subject of the OP's post.

It was great fodder for anti-SA people to misconstrue and say: "SA is nothing like LA!"

BTW, Hello, having both IH 35 and IH 10 is not "out of the way" for most of country. Add to that, NAFTA.

What great port of entry is there in Minneapolis? What about Portland or heck, Charlotte?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbizness View Post
The fact is, a lot of you have seemed to miss the actual subject of the OP's post.

It was great fodder for anti-SA people to misconstrue and say: "SA is nothing like LA!"

BTW, Hello, having both IH 35 and IH 10 is not "out of the way" for most of country. Add to that, NAFTA.

What great port of entry is there in Minneapolis? What about Portland or heck, Charlotte?
Hey Biz...I'm the one that said it's "out of the way".....and for shipping costs for big industries it is. SA and South Texas cannot fill return trucks with merchandise or products in the same return. Shipping costs to this area for many businesses are astronomical and can just stop the growth of a business if it's on the smaller side. Businesses that do the best here use more local resources or are not "product based"....like tech, tourist, data.

The OP mentioned LA...not Minneapolis, Portland or Charlotte.

I think the overall theme is that SA has gotten so many new neighbors from SoCal which explains the reason for the constant comparison. Comparison doesn't mean competition.....heaven forbid!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:10 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post

Lol...what's a "fakester"? I think I can translate ghettobird, a search helicopter.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:16 AM

944 posts, read 2,801,645 times
The OP's question regarded wheter or not SA was like LA (see the subject header). So yes, answers did include SA vs LA comparisons.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM

67 posts, read 59,047 times
Yes, because everything is expressed in the title.

Better yet, why not read the guys post.

Quote:
I was born and raised in Los Angeles California
Quote:
Not that is a bad thing but SA is starting to be like L.A, in many ways. What do you think?
Quote:
Just Curious, how many people in this Forum came from California, and are noticing the same thing?
He did not ask if SA was like LA. But let that not stop you from seizing the opportunity to bash or insult San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or