Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
I'm curious about this "euro-vibishness" that's been mentioned a few times in this thread...I've been to both Europe (mostly western/southern) and L.A. several times and I don't really see the similarities. Except for the public transportation, if you look at cities in terms of history and culture, S.A. is way more like the real Europe than L.A. is. I know you're gonna say I'm crazy, but I've lived it, and it's true. I mean, the real Europe is filled with churches, and historical landmarks, and families who all live together. And people taking it easy, and no one cares much about "excersize" for its own sake, and everyone is laid back, and there's no spray tan... . I guess I just don't get what a "Euro-vibe" is....but it doesn't seem to have much to do with actual Europe.
Agreed.I've lived in both and I have to say L.A. is nothing like any city in Europe I've been to. In fact, that's something many Europeans comment on when they first see L.A. - and many find it difficult to live there because it is so different. San Francisco probably comes closest in CA to a Euro-style city.

Los Angeles has anything but a European vibe. It's certainly on a par with other large metropolis in terms of what it has to offer, but its vibe, its style, its way of being is pure California, pure Southern California at that.

(and FWIW - my European husband and just about all my European friends prefer San Antonio over Los Angeles, for a variety of reasons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 PM

35 posts, read 51,572 times
To compare San Antonio to anything but the stagnant, poverty-sticken, impertinent towns like Brownsville and Corpus Christi, I think is competely delusional. Note: this city has not ever been, is not, and will never be on the par of world-class cities like Los Angeles and New York. Period.

Yes, there's sprawl; but there's sprawl everywhere. Unlike LA, San Antonio is characterized by cheaply-made, generic, cookie-cutter developments and strip centers outside of 1604; there's really nothing distinctive or notable about any of San Antonio's "suburban" neighborhoods.

Los Angeles' neighborhoods are diverse, not only in their ethnic, and socioeconomic makeups, but also are characterized by a salad-bowl of sorts - there's a lot of varying cultures, living, working, and collaboring together while retaining the distinct entities which make them unique. There's no such phemomena to be seen in San Antonio. Let's face it, the overriding theme of San Antonio and south Texas culture is Hispanic, or Mexican-oriented "culture", and there's little else.

In summation, San Antonio is nothing like LA and it perplexes me that anyone could actually make such a comparison. Moderator cut: inappropriate flaming remark

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-22-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 12:43 AM

54 posts, read 69,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Fingaz View Post
In summation, San Antonio is nothing like LA and it perplexes me that anyone could actually make such a comparison. Moderator cut: inappropriate flaming remark
Thank God for small favors. LA is crowded, dirty, and the traffic is ridiculous.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: repaired quote

Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,952,912 times
What I can't understand is why San Antonio has this "wannabe" attitude. Why would we wannabe like LA? Why do we aspire to NYC greatness? Is it because those cities are somehow better off (wealth, status, power, etc.)?

San Antonio is San Antonio--good, bad, and other. What it lacks in "cultural diversity" it makes up for in natural diversity (Hill Country vs. scrubland vs. pastures vs. etc...). While it's true I get frustrated with the fact that I can't get a good Middle Eastern kabob to save my life, I am willing to make do and enjoy the local food that is available.

San Antonio is like LA in some cases, though: Major freeways everywhere, connecting pockets of suburban "sprawl" to a downtown area. The suburban neighborhoods close-in to the downtown LA area may be older, but that does not exempt them from the definition of sprawl. (They're not the urban 'hoods that NYC has, for example. They don't even resemble the DC 'hoods of Georgetown or Adams Morgan.) San Antonio has quite a few older neighborhoods that are closer to the downtown area as well.

The contrast/compare game can go on forever, but where would it get us? We'd still be San Antonio, and they'd still be Los Angeles. Frankly, someone who chose to move from LA to San Antonio should have done so because they wanted a city like San Antonio. (For the record, I'm a "transplant" from the Northern VA/DC Metro area. I miss some things about the area, but I'm trying to make SA my home now.)

--Dim

Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post

San Antonio is San Antonio--good, bad, and other. What it lacks in "cultural diversity" it makes up for in natural diversity (Hill Country vs. scrubland vs. pastures vs. etc...). While it's true I get frustrated with the fact that I can't get a good Middle Eastern kabob to save my life, I am willing to make do and enjoy the local food that is available.
Have you tried Pasha on Wurzbach? I've only ever gotten the vegetarian plate there, so can't comment on the other dishes, but YUM!!!! yes, I've had better in London, but we're not in London, so I'll take this version

Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM

Haven't tried it, Chaka, but I'll certainly check it out soon. My wife and I were at Rivercenter Mall one weekend and saw a "kabob place" in the food court. We had an awesome place in the mall down the street from our house in VA, so we decided to order. What a mistake that was! The rice smelled (and sort of tasted) like dirty feet, and the meat (lamb and beef) was chewy in a rubbery sort of way. Not good.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--Dim

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Haven't tried it, Chaka, but I'll certainly check it out soon. My wife and I were at Rivercenter Mall one weekend and saw a "kabob place" in the food court. We had an awesome place in the mall down the street from our house in VA, so we decided to order. What a mistake that was! The rice smelled (and sort of tasted) like dirty feet, and the meat (lamb and beef) was chewy in a rubbery sort of way. Not good.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--Dim
Bummer! Honestly anything in the tourist center makes me suspect. Pasha is always full of Middle Eastern people, so I figure it's at least acceptable.

One place I used to like but no more is Zaki on Callaghan/410. Used to be pretty good, but some time ago (1-1.5 years ago) was sold and the new owners just don't do it right...

Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM

Yeah, we have decided that most of the restaurants in or immediately adjacent to the Riverwalk are just "ok" but nothing to write home about. The only exception is Casa Rio--but not really for the food but the atmosphere and history.

--Dim

Old 10-16-2008, 03:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,495,927 times
Default That's a very unusual question

San Antonio being discribed as being the next "new" Los Angeles California isn't that solely left up to (Houston Texas)...this is a new one on me.But San Antonio and Los Angeles do share something in common...
their's downtown..midtown and uptowns are really under sized for their's Metropolian Urban Population.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 PM

265 posts, read 1,187,697 times
I hope property values balloon out of control here like they have in L.A.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio