Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times

Advertisements

I've see graffiti on rail cars that is amazing, yet it is still unauthorized art. Defacing someones property is still vandalism. Union Pacific rail cars are an easy target. My fence is another matter. I don't want to see random scrawls of bored suburban youth on walls, posts ect. Being that this is an older thread has anyone noticed the graffiti on the new homes in Valley Hi off 410? makes me sad.

Squidlo

Last edited by Squidlo; 08-25-2007 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:03 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,463 times
I work for City Council District 5 and I am looking for residents in our area to give us data on areas within our district that need graffiti wiped out. please pm me or post here...now is your chance!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:28 PM

8 posts, read 48,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacrime View Post
i think everybody should take a look at the art side of graffiti rather than put all graffiti in one category. i would agree with some graffiti cleanup but i do not agree with wiping it out all together. it is a source of art.
I don't know what graffiti you've been looking at, but scrawling names on buildings you don't own is not attractive & is against the law.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGal82 View Post
I don't know what graffiti you've been looking at, but scrawling names on buildings you don't own is not attractive & is against the law.
unless you actually know the owner of the property its hard to say. many of our constituants hire these individuals for adverstisement. one worldwide known graff writer is Supher... go look at his gallery welcome to supher

Old 09-19-2007, 05:45 PM

154 posts, read 631,005 times
I read an article once (I think it was LA) about a homeowner with a graffiti problem. He ended up painting one section of his wall white, and posting a sign: "Graffiti artists welcome, IF you do good work." Any other section of the wall he painted over if graffiti showed up there, and any crappy tagging and initials he quietly painted over regardless of where it was. If something pretty cool and detailed was done, on the "free" wall, he left it. There was a pic of one that had a dragon in it, and was definitely art.

It took awhile, but eventually the "artists" took over, kept the taggers out themselves, stuck to the designated wall, and gave him a changing display of art. It became a competitive thing to them, and a source of pride if your stuff was judged worthy of staying. The article said it reached a point where half the gangbangers in the neighborhood would chase off taggers themselves if they messed with the "street art" wall.

It might not work everywhere, but that seems a neat approach.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
210, you used the key word "canvas." That is where it belongs. They can paint it on a canvas and sell it at the flea market. Then people could buy it and put in in their house as modern art.

Private and Public property is not the place for graffiti (unless done as a mural with the owner's permission).
I dont think you understand the definition of graffiti. If it is on an actual canvas then it is not actual graffiti. Where else would graffiti be but on public display in the street? I think you missed something in 210's comment, it might have been too subtle for you, but he meant "canvas" in a metaphorical sense.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,445 times
What building would yall like to see cleaned up?
ill work on it..
please reply

[url]http://www.sanantonio.gov/graffiti/murals.asp[/url]
this website might be helpful

Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
This is similar to the vandalism in the East Side Cemeteries. I had heard that one judge ordered anyone charged with any kind of crime out there to mow, clean, paint and repair. I'm not sure what happened to that. The city pays a LOT of money to keep that area maintained. There are even preservation volunteers that will go out and work there. Lot's of crack houses in the neighborhood and not a safe place even on a good day. (I know because I was mugged there!)

In addition to toppling headstones, graffiti, I've heard a trend (maybe now passee) was to steal head stones and make coffee table bases out of them. Not sure if that's happening here.....but it's outrageous!
WCat: I've seen many Goodwill vans go out to the Eastside cemeteries during the work day to work on maintaining the cemeteries (cut grass, edging, rake leaves, etc.). I've seen them out there at least twice a week with sheriffs in tow. My work is pretty close to the cemeteries and the only crime we've had is burglary of our work vehicles in the middle of the night and someone ramming into our metal fence. Walking to the corner store during the day is ok, the one on Commerce and Hackberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio