U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:53 PM

251 posts, read 969,174 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how the summers in SA compare to, let's say, southwest Florida? During the late summer months it can be pretty humid here. Not that I mind cause all one has to do is go inside and within a few minutes they feel better.

I'm just curious cause Weather Underground says the temps in SA are about 10 degrees warmer than Sarasota, FL, but I thought maybe because SA is inland a little that it may be better.

:shrugs:

Thanks,

Chimp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 03:58 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,643,626 times
During the summer it's between 92-98 degrees on a dailt basis. There are some summers where it doesn't even hit 100, there are some summers where it hits 100 and above 10-20 times during the summer.

Usually when its above 100 the humidity is low so that's a bonus for the heat here.

However, when its in the mid 90s there will be some humidity but nothing on the level as Florida or even Houston.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:36 PM

260 posts, read 1,021,291 times
This is always a controversial subject. I am no expert and have only been here for two summers so my opinion is somewhat weak. However, in the two summers I have spent in SA, I don't mind the heat at all. The humidity wasn't much like Houston or other Gulf Cities I've been to. They are tough summers, much worse than up north, but if you want to compare them to Glendale, Arizona (annually one of the country's hottest; where the heat is really like an oven) where I just moved from or California where I grew up, I liken them more to CA, but no beach.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:51 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Usually when its above 100 the humidity is low so that's a bonus for the heat here.
Thank you for mentioning that, 210!! I hear all the time how humid it is and that it's over 100 all the time, especially when they talk about SA or the DFW area during the summer. Sure there's humidity, especially in the spring, but by July-Sept. it has lowered considerably. The dry SW winds from the deserts of Mexico have an effect here during that time.

If it climbs to 100 or higher, then it's usually not that humid..in fact, the humidity levels are usually in the 20+ percent range when it does climb over 100 making it actually tolerable IMHO. This is also why the cities in Florida rarely climb to 100 actual temperature (not heat index) b/c of the constant high humidity they deal with there.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:56 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,524,520 times
Chimpie,

The best way I can describe it is that hot is hot everywhere. One of the major differences between Florida heat and South Texas heat are the lack of breezes we get during the summer on our hottest days. Florida has the advantage of having constant sea breezes, especially the closer you are to the coast. In San Antonio, our worst heat arrives when we are under a strong ridge of high pressure (sinking air) which at many times can produce very little/no wind.

In my opinion, you want to avoid the days we don't get out of the 90s just because then the humidity is awful. It is true that during our 100+ days the humidity is lower, but no one ever said it was comfortable ... lol.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 AM

2,745 posts, read 13,091,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Chimpie,

The best way I can describe it is that hot is hot everywhere. One of the major differences between Florida heat and South Texas heat are the lack of breezes we get during the summer on our hottest days. Florida has the advantage of having constant sea breezes, especially the closer you are to the coast. In San Antonio, our worst heat arrives when we are under a strong ridge of high pressure (sinking air) which at many times can produce very little/no wind.

In my opinion, you want to avoid the days we don't get out of the 90s just because then the humidity is awful. It is true that during our 100+ days the humidity is lower, but no one ever said it was comfortable ... lol.

I second what Anthony said here.

I grew up near Corpus Christi and moved to SA when I was 13. I have also spent a lot of time in Florida as we have family there.

Now first of all I need to be honest and tell you that I HATE the heat... I am one of those who hates it above 75! Even still, the thing I noticed right away, and the thing that makes me near suicidal every summer, is the lack of a breeze. It's SO still and suffocating here compared to FL or the Texas coastal areas.

Sorry, I can't sugar coat the weather situation.... I hate the heat!

I will say though that unless you're poor, it's fine, because you go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned office and stop on the way home at the air conditioned HEB. No big deal. Of course your electricity bills can be a nightmare.... but at least you're cool.

Now being poor in SA is another story entirely in summer. BTDT. I've experienced several summers where we either had no a/c in the car or the house or even both ..... and I don't relish the (now distant, thankfully) memories of red faced, crying toddlers in the carseat in a car where one window wouldn't go down, no a/c, stuck in rush hour traffic (oh yeah, and the engine was overheating too... fun fun).... or the summer me and the boys spent "camped out" in the living room with one window unit running and plastic sheeting separating that room from the rest of the house after the central a/c died and I didn't have $1000 to fix it. That really sucked.

But nah, it's hot, but we deal, as long as we have a/c!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
whats weather like 13th to 27th sep we are going to san antonio on vacation from liverpool england rgds val

Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpie View Post
Does anyone know how the summers in SA compare to, let's say, southwest Florida? During the late summer months it can be pretty humid here. Not that I mind cause all one has to do is go inside and within a few minutes they feel better.
I moved from Missouri (very humid) and San Antonio seems dry to me.
You get in the shade and everything is fine.

Now, the one thing I've noticed here is that most of the time there's not a cloud in sight.
That makes winter nice, but during the summer is always sunny.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:47 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Chimpie,

The best way I can describe it is that hot is hot everywhere.
I disagree,
in St. Louis I lived on the 1st floor of a 4 story apartment
My apartment was facing East (shade in the afternoon).
One summer afternoon, around 6:00pm, I walked outside to work on something and I swear that as soon as I opened the door I thought "I don't think so"

It was about 95F with 95% humidity in the shade and I didn't want to go out.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,691,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by val47 View Post
whats weather like 13th to 27th sep we are going to san antonio on vacation from liverpool england rgds val
You will roast. It'll be like nothing you've felt in GB...but try to have a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio