U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2007, 11:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,093,030 times

Advertisements

I am obsessive in my home search, and my real estate agent sends me "just listed" automated emails but they take too long and I get them at night.

I have heard that Realtor.com is about a day behind and searching MySA is a bit of a pain, and besides, I dunno how up to date they are either.

If I want to be able to check each morning over morning coffee to see what's newly listed in SA, where's the best place to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 AM

31 posts, read 145,899 times
The only way to get a listing faster than MySA.com or Realtor.com is to have a logon for the MLS Paragon system on Sabor.com (for realtors only). You might just ask your realtor to send you emails first thing in the morning, instead of at night; but keep in mind, new listings are posted at all times of the day, and even if you're only checking every morning, you can end up being a day behind anyway.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazrag View Post
The only way to get a listing faster than MySA.com or Realtor.com is to have a logon for the MLS Paragon system on Sabor.com (for realtors only). You might just ask your realtor to send you emails first thing in the morning, instead of at night; but keep in mind, new listings are posted at all times of the day, and even if you're only checking every morning, you can end up being a day behind anyway.
Thanks.

Guess I just need to be patient until the inventory increases!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:30 PM

380 posts, read 1,165,813 times
I'm curious, what are you looking for specifically? Maybe we can help you out?

Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
I'm curious, what are you looking for specifically? Maybe we can help you out?
Oh, now that's a can of worms! Pretty tall order it would seem. Let me see...

In a perfect world I'd find a 5 bedroom, but I might as well wait until hell freezes over.... so being realistic:

4 bedroom or a 3 bedroom with some sort of "optional" room to make into a bedroom, i.e. a separate dining, converted garage, etc. Our family is 2 adults, 2 teen boys, a 9 year old boy and a 4 year old girl.

One bath is acceptable.

Strongly prefer something built before 1935 though I have seen some 50's homes I would consider...

Prefer fenced yard already in place (we have dogs).

Needs some sort of heat source as per lender, even gas jets okay. A/C doesn't matter (I have window units).

I am totally okay with "ugly" (as in paint, wallpaper, carpet to be pulled, hw floors needing refinishing) but it has to meet basic lending standards; roof in okay shape, no plumbing problems, electrical updated. In other words, habitable and not in need of a ton of work.

Areas I like/will consider: pretty much any of the "older" areas of town except for Denver Heights, Dignowity, Gov't Hill, the East side, Alamodome area, or the more dangerous west side areas. Central, south, southeast, woodlawn, south central, tobin hill, highland, lavaca, beacon hill, alta vista all okay. Would like to stay reasonably close to downtown.

I know some of those neighborhoods are out of my reach $$ wise but thought I'd list them anyway.

I currently live (rent) in Los Angeles heights near Fredericksburg and Vance Jackson and the area is alright.. not much over here that is as old as I like but I'm looking here too. (my passion is for stuff built before 1920). We have kids but they are in charter schools so school district is not an issue; basic neighborhood safety is the issue... ie. can they ride their bikes or walk the dog without fear of being mugged.

Here's the tough part: Must be able to be purchased for under $73,000 MAX. So it can be listed at $78,000 if it's really worth $72,000

Ideally the closer to $70,000 the better. This is why I am having such a hard time, but I'm determined!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,348,256 times
fierce flawless,

This is just a suggestion, but have you thought of looking outside the box? The box being San Antonio, that is. Here are some towns around San Antonio that could fit the bill.

Castroville, Von Ormy, Somerset, St. Hedwig, China Grove, and Lytle. If you want to go further out, then Hondo, Devine, Pleasanton, and Seguin. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
fierce flawless,

This is just a suggestion, but have you thought of looking outside the box? The box being San Antonio, that is. Here are some towns around San Antonio that could fit the bill.

Castroville, Von Ormy, Somerset, St. Hedwig, China Grove, and Lytle. If you want to go further out, then Hondo, Devine, Pleasanton, and Seguin. Good luck in your search.

If my kids were a different age I would be SO out of here... my mom lived in Seguin for years and there were the greatest grand old homes there (and cheap, too)...

but alas, my eldest is in high school and is actually happy there, and I would rather not move him. The other teen has special needs and is in an ideal school situation too. The youngest kids would be fine but the older ones would probably have a lot of difficulty moving to a new school so I'm stuck in SA for a while it seems. I'm just not willing to drive and drive either... I love being close to downtown and the happenings.

(sorry, I know this is the SA forum, but SA and I have a love-hate thing going on).

Also, and not to start any big controversy, but I'm a lesbian with kids. It's generally in my (and my kids) best interest to stay in a larger size city. More tolerance, even here in SA.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 PM

469 posts, read 2,167,330 times
Oh yeah, stay in the city. Between tolerance and school for a special needs kid you don't want to be any where else.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:50 AM

136 posts, read 397,149 times
Fierce,

A lot of people wait until spring-time to put their houses up for sale. So look for the inventory of houses for sale to greatly increase starting in March.
I relisted my house in Houston about the second week in March 2006 and it sold in a week. Previously, it was listed for 5 months from Aug. 2005 - Jan. and did not sell.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Fierce,

A lot of people wait until spring-time to put their houses up for sale. So look for the inventory of houses for sale to greatly increase starting in March.
I relisted my house in Houston about the second week in March 2006 and it sold in a week. Previously, it was listed for 5 months from Aug. 2005 - Jan. and did not sell.
That's what my agent keeps telling me. I am just impatient! lol!

I never thought I'd actually be able to get anything financed and when that happened it blew me away. I have wanted to own a house for as long as I can remember so it's frustrating to have the go ahead and pre-approval only to not be able to find something suitable!

I know it will happen though. I just need to bide my time. I have three to look at here in a couple of days and if none of them are "it" I will just keep chugging along....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or