Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM

50 posts, read 229,224 times

Advertisements

M2, Thanks so much for the advice. What is the name of the business once owned by Mr Higgins?

MH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 AM

679 posts, read 2,825,361 times
Anybody ever try that new stuff that looks just like sod but is actually fake grass? I was at someone's home and didn't want to walk on their "newly sodded" lawn. I was so shocked when I was told it was fake. I am so tempted.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 AM

Oh dear, like astroturf?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:13 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MockingbirdHill View Post
M2, Thanks so much for the advice. What is the name of the business once owned by Mr Higgins?

MH

MH

It is Harry Higgins Grass, 4335 N IH 35, San Antonio, TX, 210 223-6751

Cheers! M2

Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
I forgot - my one inch was just the seeding soil starter. I had added some fresh soil (just filler soil) on top of the clay, before adding the 1" of seed starter stuff (per recommendation from a couple of nurseries). Also, not new construction.

The following are some prices for Bermuda in June/July. St A is usually a bit more.

Name Price/pallet Delivery Min. # pallets
Del's Grass $105 $75 2
Ambassador Grass $118.66 incl. tax $100 2
Mike's Higgins Grass $125 $50 2
Specialty Turf $125 $80 1
Grissom Road place $135 $75 1

We went with Dell's, and while the grass was ok, there were a few grubs in it.
I laid the sod myself, so the above prices are just for the grass not installation. I wouldn't say it's that hard, at least not any harder than any other landscaping work I've been doing. I did it over 2 days, the second day two friends came to help for a couple of hours which made it go really fast.

Our soil came from Keller Materials on the east side (which is fairly close to us). I think we paid $20/yard + $75 delivery. We had 12 yards delivered.

Clarification lest the above is confusion - the 12 yards wasn't ALL for the sod-area. We've had that since April and have been using it in various spots. I finally used it all up last week. I'm not sure how much I used for the sodded area, maybe it was 1-2 inches deep.

Last edited by Chaka; 10-01-2008 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM

Chaka and M2--- Thanks so much for the help, especially the details... names, phone numbers, prices etc. I'm also going to call Bob Webster (at the insistence of a close friend) to get his recommendations, and I'll post them in this discussion for anyone else's future reference. I'll also post the companies I decided to employ.

It's too bad there's not a company that can supply and install BOTH soil and grass. Gotta' get soil from one place, apparently, and sod from another.

Anyway, sure appreciate everyone's help.

MH

Old 10-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned
As it turned out, I called Bob Webster's place, and they recommended Turfgrass America (by King Ranch). I called there and Milberger's and Milberger's had the better price per pallet and cost for delivery, so I went with Milberger's. They were able to deliver the following day.

Bob Webster also recommended Fertile Gardens and Stone and Soil out on I-10 close to Boerne (there's another location on 281, i think). Fertile Gardens had the better price, and they delivered the following day as well. The soil was a contracter's mix, and contains organic materials. It really looked good. We got the area I wanted to start with all done in one day. I over-estimated the amount of both soil and sod, so we actually got more done! We ran out of grass first (eventually), so I have an area spread with soil that I need to put sod on. I'll go back to Milberger's for that, and to return their 2 wooden pallets, which they charged me $10 for-- I'm hoping they will pay me for them. Wishful thinking?

Like I said, the soil looked and felt real good. The grass was MOSTLY good. There are several rectangles that are mostly like straw with a few green blades in, but I'm hoping they'll green up with more watering. Altogether the cost was about $500 (excluding labor).

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-11-2008 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referring to has been removed

Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 AM

679 posts, read 2,825,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MockingbirdHill View Post
Oh dear, like astroturf?
No. Astro Turf looks fake. The stuff I'm talking about looks like real sod.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,652 times
Fertile Gardens has excellent prices and they give military discounts. Plus the people there are very friendly and honest.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:55 AM

214 posts, read 499,240 times
I live right by fertile gardens and I always like going in there. You just can't beat Milbergers! I want to build a business like that in my later years. It's a joy going there.

How much did they charge you in labor to install?
I usually bill $50 per pallet, but I make a profit on the delivery and sometimes the materials - depending on where it's coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio