U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 10,740 times

Advertisements

So I am considering moving to San Antonio from Pittsburgh. My aunt has lived there for the last couple of years, so I would have a place to stay until I get set in Texas.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a little insight on the job market in San Antonio. I'm pretty sure it has to better than the economic climate in Pittsburgh, but any details would help.

I currently work in sales, and have for the past three years. I'd like to transition out of it, but can't be too picky if I end up in 2,000 miles from home.

Any general thoughts or insight would be very appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 12:45 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,715,835 times
Which Pittsburgh? California or Pennsylvania?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,224,020 times
Or Texas?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania---

Guess I should've clarified! Sorry!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Can you handle the heat? Se hablo Espanol?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM

I know it will be hot. But I am tired of the snow/ice up here. It also be nice to live in area where you dont have gray skies 7 months out of the year! I would prefer the climate down there to be honest.

No I don't speak a lick of Spanish. I am concerned about that in terms of work. Just not sure how big of a deal it is.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM

I don't think it would be too big a deal. Although, it could make things easier in some situations. It's nice to understand Spanish since it's spoken often around here. We are still in the high 80's to low 90's this time of year..it'll start to really cool after Halloween. I'm originally from the NY/NJ area...so I know about that weather up there...no fun. If you can handle constant 90's (during the day) from May through October..you'll be fine.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Yeah---I think I'll be able to swing that! Being from Jersey you're well aware of the gray cloud that hangs over the Northeast for 6 months.

I'd have no problem taking a Spanish class or something along those lines once I got there. Anything to "adapt" to the culture a bit. I just wasn't sure if most jobs in San Antonio made Spanish a requirement. I'm sure in sales there is an emphasis if you're working locally in SA.

But as I said in my original post, I would prefer to transition out of the field. I've been checking the papers down there on-line and looking at the job boards, but figured I might get a better feel for the market from folk who already live there.

Hence I am here!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:13 PM

You'll probably see that the salaries are usually lower here..but the cost of living offsets that. No state income tax either. Your property tax rates are fairly high here as well.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 PM

229 posts, read 588,923 times
Well, I don't' have first hand knowledge since I don't work in sales, however, my best friend has worked in sales ever since he graduated from college (about 1998). From what I understand, he has never had trouble finding a decent job, he has sold everything from life insurance, to corporate communications equipment, to oil and gas investments (his current job), and more and always made a decent to good living.

However, just take into consideration that the major employers in SA are Biomedical, Tourism, and Military. There is also a small but growing technology sector here.

My sister in law works for Rackspace, she started as an account manager, dont know what she does now, but I think that they are always looking for sales people.

I guess the good thing about your situations is that it is always fairly easy to get a job in sales, even if its only to tide you over until you find something you would rather do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or