Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times

Advertisements

This is one thing that I sadly regret about this city.....the lack of a great farmers market! I don't know what happened to that.....we used to have a great reputation for having fresh produce, flowers etc years ago.

Anyone else like to see this be renewed? Where would a good location be? I'm thinking near downtown since the lack of grocery stores in that area is a problem.

We used to drive 35 miles to get to the Farmers Market in Dallas. It was awesome!....especially in the fall and spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:41 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
I would love to see this, too. Maybe a NC location?

Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
Yes, I have been lamenting about this for years. I think someplace near downtown would bee good also. Thanks Wcat for starting this thread. Buying local is always better but somebody needs tobe sellling it.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:59 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
Default are these markets not actually running?

Okay, now I'm confused! I was just doing research on farmers markets in S.A. a few days ago and found this list Texas Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Listings
from the Texas department of agriculture. I got all excited because there seemed to be so many choices in the area of farmers markets. Do these locations not actually run at the times listed here? Bummer....

Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Okay, now I'm confused! I was just doing research on farmers markets in S.A. a few days ago and found this list Texas Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Listings
from the Texas department of agriculture. I got all excited because there seemed to be so many choices in the area of farmers markets. Do these locations not actually run at the times listed here? Bummer....
Oh....yes..they do. But the number of vendors and produce varies quite a bit. I would never discourage anyone from visiting any of these markets.

I was thinking a bit more on a grander scale.....and please don't bash me guys...but Dallas really does have the right idea in this area. It's huge....consolidated and open to a lot of vendors who are there on a regular basis. I'm just so sorry it's up "there" and not here!

No reason we can't do this....is there? dweej....you just posted a list of vendors. A central location would draw more people and ultimately be better for the vendors and the buyers!

Here's a link: Dallas Farmers Market

Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM

Just FYI....El Mercado used to be a thriving meat and produce market, but is now strictly a tourist attraction....and a fun one! But "Produce Row" is anything but filled with "produce". It's certainly a "market" down there, but not a Farm to Market place to shop anymore.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:28 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
I don't even live in S.A. and I think this is a great idea. A friend of mine wrote a whole post in our blog about our local farmers market and the benefits of buying local, both in terms of building community and helping to perpetuate a more self-sufficient economy. Not to mention fresh produce really does taste better!!!! My city of Temecula has about 100K people and a really vibrant, bustling farmers market. They just cram it into a town sqare type area in old town and it's great!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,153 times
Well, I'm going to get bashed for this, but here I go...

I feel like San Antonio is really a tourists town. I've heard this from more than one citizen of the city too! I feel like San Antonio leaders focus on that because really, what's going to draw in more money? Tourism or a Farmers Market? Tourists are coming to see the Alamo, the River Walk, so why would the leaders of our city invest time in organizing a Farmers Market? Are tourists really going to buy produce? Not likely. I think it's going to take a group of local citizens to ever get anything like that off the ground. A lot of things that are featured attractions in this town are really geared for people visiting! I don't feel like they take care of their own people here or care what they want. I for one would LOVE to have a farmers market! Oh, my dream would be something like Pike Place in Seattle! That will never happen.

Ok, off my soap box flame away!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post

I feel like San Antonio is really a tourists town. I've heard this from more than one citizen of the city too! I feel like San Antonio leaders focus on that because really, what's going to draw in more money? Tourism or a Farmers Market? Tourists are coming to see the Alamo, the River Walk, so why would the leaders of our city invest time in organizing a Farmers Market? Are tourists really going to buy produce? Not likely. I think it's going to take a group of local citizens to ever get anything like that off the ground. A lot of things that are featured attractions in this town are really geared for people visiting! I don't feel like they take care of their own people here or care what they want. I for one would LOVE to have a farmers market! Oh, my dream would be something like Pike Place in Seattle! That will never happen.

Dang Mojo....my lighter is broken! Just kidding!!! Nothing wrong with local citizens or even a private interest pulling this together. I don't think the one in Dallas has anything to do with the City Planning. It's really kind of historical....and evolved bigger and better over the years. Unfortunately, our evolved to a different kind of market.....and you're right, it caters to tourists. But I think that has happened by private businesses.....and the success to the tourist industry allowed the Chambers to promote it.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:16 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post

No I agree with you and echo your concern 100%.

I feel the same about the City of SA and the lack of parks with running trails and dog parks.

But to stay on topic, I would welcome a regular farmers market in SA similar to the one in Dallas.

In Leon Springs, every Sat 9-2, there is a farmers market across the Wash Tub. I go and get a few items there but the produce isn't always so $inexpensive$ compared to large grocery chains, so you have to know what your looking for.

Overall, I enjoy having one near my residence but wish SA would be more progressive in this area and agree with you, it seems the focus is primarly on the hotel/convention/riverwalk aspects of the city. Everything else is 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio