U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:07 PM

348 posts, read 1,424,144 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am sitting in Baghdad (been here 19 months, I am a contractor purifying H20 for the troops) and have just found this site. I LOVE it!
I am reliving some of my foundest memories!
Lived in SA all my life, NW side of town; Wurzbach & IH-10 area (Clark High School).
Anyway does anyone remember Sneaker's Night Club off of Perrin Beittel?
That club influenced my life for 2 decades!
I have seen everyone from Hootie & the Blowfish, STP (Stone Temple Pilots), The Black Crowes, The Outfield, Vince Neil, Tommy Lee, Dangerous Toys, Jackle, Pantera, even Peter Frampton!
I even got to party with Lars Ulrich and Jerry Cantrell there! It seems like whenever a big show hit town, later that night some band memebers would end up at Sneaker's. Rock n Roll forever!
Also local talent like Pitbull Daycare, The Psychoholics, and Pariah!
Many, many more Bands but my memeories are obscured by the haze of time.
That club gave me many girlfriends, one night hookups, and more hangovers than I care to recall. I miss it so much. It doesn't seem the same anymore in the SA music scene. No great live music places that cater to Rock n Roll. White Rabbit is all hardcore or punk.
Sunset Station brings in some bands, but it is all ages and does not have the same feel.
As long as I can recall, San Antonio has been a popular place for these bands.
Anyway, got any good stories?
I would love to hear about them, this is making my time here a little easier.

Thanks for reading and remembering,

Crazedchef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 03:40 PM

304 posts, read 1,420,106 times
Was that in the same strip mall as where Academy is today? If it is, I remember it as some other club. The bands you speak of all came after I had left SA. With the exception being Peter Frampton. But I don't recall Frampton coming here in the 70s either. This could be a GBNF post.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi Irnag,

What is GBNF?

I have not driven to that side of town in almost a decade. I have no idea what is there now, plus I have been in hell for 19 months now.
I saw Frampton at Sneaker's in 1994. Great show! What I loved about the place was that if you wanted it was easy to get within a few feet of the performers. I mean they were right there!
All of these bands were here in the late 80's and early 90's. I believe Sneaker's closed their doors for good in 1998? They also used to be on Nacodoches for a few years before moving to Perrin Beitel.

crazedchef

Old 02-10-2007, 04:41 PM

304 posts, read 1,420,106 times
GBNF - gone but not forgotten

Old 02-10-2007, 05:19 PM

283 posts, read 1,722,918 times
Was Sneakers a swingers club?

Old 02-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Ha, Ha, Ha,

A "SWINGERS CLUB?"! Wink wink nudge nudge say no more or do you mean a club for old time Big Band music?

It was a Rock n Roll Club that played the music that is was popular on 99.5 Kiss FM before that station started playing the same 50 songs over and over and over.

Brian Kendall (the KISS DJ, do not know if he is still with KISS) was a DJ at Sneaker's.

Lot's of big hair and leather, (not in a swinger kinda way, just bad hair from the "Hair Metal" days before Nirvana killed that particular type of music.

Boy I remember now, I used to HAVE hair back then (been shaving bald for a few years). At least I save on shampoo.

crazedchef

Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,090,552 times
I was a bit young for Sneaker's but it didn't stop me from hanging out. My brother used to get me in as his 'wife'. We're half-siblings and so we don't look alike really and he's older, but of course we had the same name so the managment allowed him to bring me in.

I went a couple times after I became legal and then I think it moved down perren beitel, then closed if I recall. By then it was kind of sad... some of the patrons had become "fixtures". There's no better way to announce to the world: "I'm pathetic and refuse to move on!" like wearing zebra striped spandex and sporting big hair-band hair when you're pot bellied and nearing 40.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Yeah,

There were plenty of those aged rocker type chicks there, but a lot of young hot ones also. I missed out on the last few years it was around, it just went downhill and did not want to see the place in such disrepair. The time I did spend there though for those few years when they were bringing in all sorts of national acts was just amazing.
p.s. I am 38, I started going before I was 21 because I was a good b.s. 'er
crazed chef

Old 02-12-2007, 09:50 PM

244 posts, read 1,017,152 times
The only venue I've been to in SA was Sin13 downtown when I first got here two years ago. Anyone know of any other music venues in SA? Always go to Austin.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:46 AM

2,745 posts, read 13,090,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Yeah,

There were plenty of those aged rocker type chicks there, but a lot of young hot ones also. I missed out on the last few years it was around, it just went downhill and did not want to see the place in such disrepair. The time I did spend there though for those few years when they were bringing in all sorts of national acts was just amazing.
p.s. I am 38, I started going before I was 21 because I was a good b.s. 'er
crazed chef
LOL, I was talking about the aged rocker guys, which is what I saw the most of (and went to high school w/some of them)... but yeah, there were both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or