Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequickster View Post
I'm not raciest, but alot of the people in San Antonio are Mexicans.
I'm not a raciest either! But Sweetie knows Mexicans, and their food!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
That's why we're here !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 11:04 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,923 times
I've never heard of such a thing. Next time in Cali maybe i'll have one. That's probably where they make the best. Let's keep Tex-Mex in Texas and Cali food in Cali.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,393 times
Thanks!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 AM

734 posts, read 3,015,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I've never heard of such a thing. Next time in Cali maybe i'll have one. That's probably where they make the best. Let's keep Tex-Mex in Texas and Cali food in Cali.
If that was the case - then why do we have Cajun food here? Or any other nationality for that matter? I love that I can get all types of food just about anywhere. Now, I've learned that crab legs in Lake Havasu Arizona - not the best idea. Mexican food in Canada, not a good one either. But if someone can reproduce great Mexican, Indian, Lebanese, Japanese food here in SA what is wrong with bringing a little Cali-Mex this way too? Baja Fresh made it to Austin... it's almost here in SA!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
If that was the case - then why do we have Cajun food here? Or any other nationality for that matter? I love that I can get all types of food just about anywhere. Now, I've learned that crab legs in Lake Havasu Arizona - not the best idea. Mexican food in Canada, not a good one either. But if someone can reproduce great Mexican, Indian, Lebanese, Japanese food here in SA what is wrong with bringing a little Cali-Mex this way too? Baja Fresh made it to Austin... it's almost here in SA!
I've had some great ethnic foods in countries not of their origin, and that's always a pleasant surprise. But I wouldn't expect it. I think with Tex-mex, Texans are so proud of it, they're more resistant to have the California influence, foods are just similar enough that you're not likely to get a big drive for the California version (well, unless we continue to get Californians here).

Old 09-30-2008, 12:17 AM

43 posts, read 95,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequickster View Post
I'm not raciest, but alot of the people in San Antonio are Mexicans.
instead i would probably venture to say that San Antonio has a large population of Americans of Mexican descent.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:32 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Well, I had been there a few months and was really craving Mexican food, but decided it wasn't worth it. Now I have had some great food in non-typical places, but you get the point

Chimichangas are a California thing.

Hmm...I would beg to differ. They are an Arizona thing, at least here in the US (they lay claim to making the first "chimi"). In Mexico, they are a Sonoran thing, so says my Mexican wife.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Hmm...I would beg to differ. They are an Arizona thing, at least here in the US (they lay claim to making the first "chimi"). In Mexico, they are a Sonoran thing, so says my Mexican wife.
My family is from Sonora and Arizona originally, I'm not sure how common they are in Sonora, they seem more prevalent north of the border.

I won't debate whether California or Arizona had them first. How about a "southwest" thing? Like burritos, they're not Tex-Mex.

On a related note, anyone interested in the history of Mexican food and how it relates to Mexican culture should read "Que vivan los tamales: Food and the making of Mexican Identity" by Jeffrey Pilcher. Doesn't go too much into Tex-Mex or Cali-Mex (more often known as Baja-style), but is a fascinating read about how food and culture are intertwined. Excellent book.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,363 times
[quote=Chaka;5486477]My family is from Sonora and Arizona originally, I'm not sure how common they are in Sonora, they seem more prevalent north of the border.QUOTE]

They may indeed be more prevalent in AZ,CA but they can certainly be found in abundance within the state of Sonora. I've had excellent chimis in Hermosillo..where I have had clients in the past.
My wife reiterated that they are indeed a Sonoran food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio