Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:51 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times

Advertisements

This could all be for nothing anyway. Maybe the fine folks at his potential employer, HDR, are reading this--you know they surf places to see the "real you" and if they're liberals, he might still get an offer. If not, St. Louis might still present an opportunity for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:31 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
First and foremost, if you value your freedom of speech then you should be thanking the military, not bashing them.

Secondly, I have always noticed that when liberals complain about conservatives limiting their freedom of speech, what they really mean is they want to say anything they want but get all upset when a conservative says what he/she wants. In other words, they believe in freedom of speech for themselves, but start when anyone else exercises that right.

That said, you probably won't like San Antonio. It is a very pro-military town with lots of current and former military people living in it. As you can tell by my account name, I am one of them. San Antonio in general is a very welcoming place, but the one thing most people hate is folks that show up and whine about everything; so to avoid that I will have to support the recommendation that Austin is a better choice for you. It is a college town, so it is full of people who think they've got all the world's problems sorted out (as long as everyone does what they say). But San Antonio is old school Texas, so with your attitude and barely comprehensible first post I really don't think you'd like it down here.

As one of my old military buddy’s used to say, ‘Have a nice day…somewhere else!’

Cheers! M2

Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 AM

148 posts, read 503,731 times
Saphire, that's not the only employer that I have interviewed with.
and I don't think you should be saying that in this conversation.

In few words, all that I wanted to know was what percentage of the population is in the military? 25%? 50%? 75%?

Last edited by Danilo-11; 09-29-2008 at 06:18 AM..

Old 09-29-2008, 06:41 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo-11 View Post

In few words, all that I wanted to know was what percentage of the population is in the military? 25%? 50%? 75%?
If that is all you wanted to know, you probably should have left all the commentary out. And the only way anyone knows who your potential employer is, is because YOU told us. Free speech works both ways, my friend.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 AM

148 posts, read 503,731 times
Thanks for the help and the positive and negative comments,
I have nothing else to say in this thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 AM

45 posts, read 393,881 times
I'm actually quite looking forward to this thread ending. The giggling is making my sides hurt. I served in the military and I took no offense whatsoever. He just asked a simple question, all be it his conversational tone may have been coarse. Being a former infantry soldier myself, I recommend to others not to take some issues involving the military so seriously. A recent poll of the soldiers in Iraq suggests 9 out of 10 field personnel are getting tired of sand in their crotch.

BTW, thanks for the honorable mention, Danilo-11

Old 09-29-2008, 09:29 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
I'm actually indepedent but tend to support more liberals than conservatives.
About the military, I rather stay away from bases because I used to live close to one when I was younger and we would only go there to go clubbing and see some girls, add to that my political views.

I had visited San Antonio only 1 time (last year) and last Friday I had an interview with a company located close the airport.
I had noticed the bases, but I'm guessing I stayed in a hotel where soldiers stay, because almost everybody I talked to is or was in the army.

How much does the army influence the culture in San Antonio?
Does it seem like most people in San Antonio are or used to be in the army?
Or is it just a small percentage of the city.
Quote:

For one, that is not the only thing you said in your initial post. You were ranting about being anti-military, but I can tell you actually have very little knowledge of it as you think everyone is in the Army.

Not only does San Antonio have a very large military community, it is also very pro-military. The relationship between this city and the Army and Air Force has been a mutually-beneficial and long-lasting one, and is the reason why so many military people stay here after serving.

You don't have to be pro-military to live here, but I would recommend that if by chance you do move here (and I don't think that's likely) that you refrain from your anti-military comments; as despite the fact that most folks in the military are conservative, we still don't like people who bad-mouth us just like anyone else.

And I really don't understand how your "political views" were shaped by the fact that you used to go onto military bases to "club" and meet girls. If that is the extent of your experience, then you really have no basis whatsoever for your anti-military position. But I suspect you are a "follower," one who likes to take a popular political position without really doing any research on the topic. That's OK if it works for you, but you will have a hard time convincing anyone that your convictions are correct...

Best of luck to you, but in my opinion I don't think Texas--and especially San Antonio--will be to your liking!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The relationship between this city and the Army and Air Force...

Cheers! M2
and Navy..

Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
For one, that is not the only thing you said in your initial post. You were ranting about being anti-military, but I can tell you actually have very little knowledge of it as you think everyone is in the Army.

Not only does San Antonio have a very large military community, it is also very pro-military. The relationship between this city and the Army and Air Force has been a mutually-beneficial and long-lasting one, and is the reason why so many military people stay here after serving.

You don't have to be pro-military to live here, but I would recommend that if by chance you do move here (and I don't think that's likely) that you refrain from your anti-military comments; as despite the fact that most folks in the military are conservative, we still don't like people who bad-mouth us just like anyone else.

And I really don't understand how your "political views" were shaped by the fact that you used to go onto military bases to "club" and meet girls. If that is the extent of your experience, then you really have no basis whatsoever for your anti-military position. But I suspect you are a "follower," one who likes to take a popular political position without really doing any research on the topic. That's OK if it works for you, but you will have a hard time convincing anyone that your convictions are correct...

Best of luck to you, but in my opinion I don't think Texas--and especially San Antonio--will be to your liking!

Cheers! M2
Hi, majormadmax. I typically like the tone and content of your posts, even though I'm sure that we would disagree about many things. Most importantly, of course, we agree about liking San Antonio!

In this response, I think you read a little too much into the OP's "ranting." He didn't rant at all. He made some confusing comments about only going to bases to frequent clubs and pick up girls (????), and then suggested that his independent, slightly liberal views ("politics") might make him feel uncomfortable in a city where the military is a very important presence.

It just pains me to read some posts, which state explicitly that "you won't like it here" when they really seem to suggest "we won't like you here."

I really don't think that it's fair to call San Antonio conservative, old-school Texas. The voting records don't support that. The Mexican-majority population doesn't fit that. The political perspectives of many military people don't fit that. There are large parts of this city--especially in the newly developed northern sections--that fit that description fairly well (I'd imagine). But it's harder to apply that description to the great bulk of the city, especially the areas closer to downtown as well as all along the East, West, and South sides.

I only say this because I, too, was once looking for advice on this forum, wondering whether I'd feel at home here. There are many people who would've told me that I wouldn't, and they would've been wrong.

Of course, to each his own. This is certainly not a slam. As I said, I really like the way most people come off on this forum, even if I radically disagree with them. And I'm sure that most would make great neighbors. I just feel the need to pipe up when people paint (slightly skewed) pictures of this city that would keep people like me (as well as many natives) from ever wanting to come here in the first place!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't making life changing decisions based solely on an intraweb forum post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio