U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 PM

4,168 posts, read 6,631,007 times
Default I miss Montgomery Wards

I can remember about 8 or 9 years ago reading about how Wards was working on improving their customer service to compete with the newer electronics superstores like Circuit City. I remember thinking, I would never want to shop at Wards for a stereo.

But today I would love to go in there again. They had everything. Basically sort of like Sears. It was sad when they closed their Crossroads location. (I assume that all stores closed at the same time). I don't even remember if they had other locations in San Antonio, no doubt some of the older malls if so. I can remember going there with my parents at various times as a child shopping for clothes, shoes, appliances, carpet, etc.

In their later years I bought a couple of watches there from their jewelry department. I remember their staff being very helpful and knowledgeable. They had customer service down pat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM

11,057 posts, read 7,025,351 times
I loved Montgomery Wards!! I got my first TV and stereo from there. My parents always shopped there and when I got married, that's where we got our appliances and furniture. They had a little bit of everything.

You never know what you've got till it's gone.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:24 PM

777 posts, read 1,600,997 times
We were Monkey Ward fans and bought loads of crap from the Westlakes Mall location when we first married. I was sad to see them go.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM

15,920 posts, read 4,627,389 times
Yeah! Good ole' "Monkey Wards"!!! I so miss them They gave me my first credit card If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be where I am today

Moderator cut: profanity Credit card junk maill!! Moderator cut: profanity

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-02-2008 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Profanity is against the ToS... no matter how you cover it up... let's loose this habit... NOW!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:35 PM

98,585 posts, read 25,166,149 times
Yep, they got a ton a business from my bunch!! My first Lazy Boy Recliners (JUNK) !! My only bad memory of it. Remember when Swiss Colony was in there. Seemed like it didn't start as Swiss Colony but changed to it. Anyway, the earlier one had big crocks of spreadable sharp cheddar ! They were huge 1/2 gallon or so and cheap. Then they changed and the party was over!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM

2,261 posts, read 3,531,187 times
The Wards at Crossroads/wonderland was the best one, it seems once it left the mall it has been downhill since then.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,847,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Yeah! Good ole' "Monkey Wards"!!! I so miss them They gave me my first credit card If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be where I am today...
Montgomery Wards gave me my first credit card ($410 limit) back in 1977. I was sorry to see them go...especially when they owed me 4 more oil changes on a package I bought! When I worked at Sears back in 1971-72, they used to tell us that if we missed up we'd end up working at Monkey Wards!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM

15,920 posts, read 4,627,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Yep, they got a ton a business from my bunch!! My first Lazy Boy Recliners (JUNK) !! My only bad memory of it. Remember when Swiss Colony was in there. Seemed like it didn't start as Swiss Colony but changed to it. Anyway, the earlier one had big crocks of spreadable sharp cheddar ! They were huge 1/2 gallon or so and cheap. Then they changed and the party was over!
Your Lazy Boy's prolly turned into junk, cuz you sat in them watching T.V., while eating all that spreadable cheeze. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
The Wards at Crossroads/wonderland was the best one, it seems once it left the mall it has been downhill since then.
Agree on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Montgomery Wards gave me my first credit card ($410 limit) back in 1977. I was sorry to see them go...especially when they owed me 4 more oil changes on a package I bought! When I worked at Sears back in 1971-72, they used to tell us that if we missed up we'd end up working at Monkey Wards!
$410.......$410...........??? Moderator cut: profanity I only got $380 limit!!! Moderator cut: profanity

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-02-2008 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: little band-aids on the smilies are cute... but doesn't take away from the foul language intended... which is against ToS

Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,847,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Agree...it was definitely larger than the Westlakes Mall store. Also agree on the downhill since then.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 PM

2,255 posts, read 4,168,518 times
I always thought the Wards at Windsor was the largest in town. It was really very nice right at the end, they had just remodeled the store. They used lots of stainless steel, chrome and glass in the update, it looked pretty upscale in the end. Is it just me or did the Windsor store also have a wendy's inside of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio