Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:13 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times

Advertisements

Steven HS student struck by car (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Motorcycle_slides_under_trailer_truck.html - broken link)

I hope and pray he'll be OK. No real details yet, but it's so early that it was probably still dark and he wasn't seen until too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,118 times
OMGosh. Ya know, that's a street that is residential on one side, and the HS and Murnin ES on the other. People just drive WAY too fast in those types of areas! I know I don't have all the details on this one, but it's just one of me soapbox issues. Just this morning, as I was walking my 2 little girls across the street to the bus stop (it's literally across the street from our house), we "looked both ways", nothing, started to cross, and then a car was coming down the street so fast that it would have hit one or both of them if I hadn't told them to run. I stood in the middle of the street ~ just out of the car's path ~ and yelled at the jerk to slow down! It was 6:55 am, still dark, school buses weaving in and out of the neighborhood and this idiot was prolly doin' 40mph!

Sorry. <steps off soapbox>

I really hope the kid is ok.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:35 AM

I'm right up on that soapbox with ya. Now with school back in session especially, people need to THINK! Does it not cross your mind when you drive in the vicinity of a school that there might be <gasp> SCHOOL KIDS????

Old 10-03-2008, 09:09 AM

260 posts, read 573,199 times
Be it Elementary,Jr high or High School!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,058 times
I had just dropped my daughter off at school to get ready for the pep rally today and go to turn off Dugas on to Potranco and saw this young man in the road. There were a few EMTs and a couple of by-standers helping. So sad. People need to slow down. Potranco is NOT the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!! Granted it was dark, and the drivers did not see him. However if people would just SLOW down, his critical injuries might not be as critical at this point. I'd like to know how a driver can run over a body and not know they ran over something?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Oh, you'd know. But if you have no insurance, why would you stop?

Seriously, how could you NOT KNOW???

Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
I had just dropped my daughter off at school to get ready for the pep rally today and go to turn off Dugas on to Potranco and saw this young man in the road. There were a few EMTs and a couple of by-standers helping. So sad. People need to slow down. Potranco is NOT the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!! Granted it was dark, and the drivers did not see him. However if people would just SLOW down, his critical injuries might not be as critical at this point. I'd like to know how a driver can run over a body and not know they ran over something?
Oh....I hope he's going to be alright. It's sobering to see such an accident in person. Sounds like they need to put those annoying speed bumps along that road. Once school starts, kids are coming and going at all hours for band practice, athletics, choir, drama ...etc. There really are no "school zone" hours.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
I haven't read any online stories about this yet, but I heard a couple of details about this accident on the radio news. The student was dressed from head-to-toe in black, which would have made him difficult to see if this happened before sunrise. Mitigating circumstance... doesn't excuse driving too fast or carelessly IMO, but it does make a difference in my perception of the circumstances.

Also, he was hit by two vehicles, and one of the two vehicles fled the scene. There's no excuse for that.

Last edited by Bo; 10-03-2008 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 10:37 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Serious prison time for "Hit and Run" drivers!!!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:47 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,421,440 times
My daughter is friends with this kid - they're pretty messed up over there. It's always a sad day when someone's child is hurt. We saw the ambulances and flares out on Potranco this morning...

BUT - I don't know how many times I've had these kids run in front of the car, run across Potranco, walk the turn lane, etc etc. Granted there is no need to fly down the street, but the kids aren't helping themselves here either. I had to slam on my brakes twice this morning - once we were driving down the circular drive to Stevens, and a group of kids just walked right off the grass and into the street in front of about 6 cars! Didn't hesitate, nothing - I can only think that maybe they thought the cars were going to stop for them, but what if they weren't seen??

On the way out of Stevens, there were two boys walking in the street on Ellison. NOT on the sidewalk, but IN the street as if it were the sidewalk.

It's also "Black out" day at Stevens - the students are all wearing black - part of spirit week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio