Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 PM

734 posts, read 3,004,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Turtle_mom, you swore you wouldn't tell anyone!!! I thought my secret was safe with you.

Ha Ha! I know they can be addicting, my friend buys them like some people buys shoes and purses! I guess they are her accessories

I've actually bought a few myself, but I had a non-clingy baby who hated being that close to me! He wanted more freedom than the carrier would let him have. Now I wish he would use one because he climbs out of his stroller all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 PM

679 posts, read 1,794,139 times
I haven't noticed them yet here in MN. I am so glad to see there's a mainstream cloth diaper market now, especially considering how glued together Target and Kimberly Clark and P&G must be.

My cloth diapers are on kid #3 and I'm hoping to eek out a few more months from them until he's potty trained!!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,512,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I have to question you Eco people. wouldt washable diapers be more expensive than disposables? and more wastefull aswell. You still have to wash them. And chances are that most of you will use a washer and dryer. so whats the point of saving something here, when you are going to waste something there? and closing comments most kids only need diapers for the first 15-20 months so in the end they are going to be wastefull, unless you use them to wax your car.
You simply minimize water wastage by using a high efficiency washing machine.

We've been cloth diapering for 27 months now, and have seen zero significant increase in our water usage during that time (until I planted a lawn when the little one was about 22 months...). Our high efficiency front loader (small unit Avanti) requires 8 loads to equal 1 load in the standard top loader (this was true in 2002, now the top loaders are becoming more efficient as well) in terms of water usage and electricity/gas (to heat water). If there was an excess amount of water used in my extra 2-3 loads per week, we would have noticed it a long time ago. My overall usage changed barely. We were still using ~3000gallons/month until we landscaped, which is what we used pre-kid (hoping to go back down to that once all my xeriscaped plants are established).

We don't own a dryer - we line dry everything. Zero energy cost.

We intend to use the diapers for multiple kids, and any left over will be used for cleaning. I grew up using cloth diapers as cleaning rags, so that's the norm as far as I'm concerned.

Don't forget the energy costs involved in *making* disposables, the fact that you need MANY MANY more over the course of a baby's diapering days, and the fact they don't disintegrate.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I wonder if Target will also carry diaper pins - that would seem to make sense.

I remember my diaper pins were blue, pink and yellow ducks. They are still tucked somewhere in my Dad's house. Won't need them for a while!!
The fancy cloth diapers are like disposables and don't require pins.

However we use prefolds with a wrap (the old fashioned diapers) and don't use pins. They do have "snappis" which are like an elastic string with hooks at the end, but I don't like those. Just stick the diaper in the wrap and it holds fairly well. No pins needed. I do use some all-in-ones, but those are homemade.

However, Target has carried pins for awhile. When I was pregnant with DD 3 years ago, the Target on the southside had pins and cloth - but they were poor quality prefolds (Babies R Us had them as well, but lousy ones. I got mine online)

btw - my parents used cloth diapers 40 years ago too, and are thrilled to see the new options. My mom is more than happy to change my daughter's cloth diaper. Most of my siblings have used cloth as well.

On the toilet training - my DD missed that one...she was interested at ~20 months and saying she had to go. But though she goes in the potty often enough if we stick her on it, she usually doesn't notice she has to go until after she's wet...and if she's playing, she won't budge, despite the wet cloth.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Good for Target for carrying them. I know Costco is carrying a cloth diaper pack online as well. Costco - Bumkins All-In-One Diaper Bundle 6-pack w/ 6 Diaper Inserts (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11297913&whse=BC&topnav=& browse=&lang=en-US - broken link)

I agree with the reasons and concepts of cloth. But I do know of a person who just throws her soiled diapers in the "Super-sanitary" wash in her super expensive washer and dryer. So to me, they are using tons of energy and water to wash the diapers - how is that better?
Are you sure she's using tons of energy? If she has a newish and super expensive washer, it's probably using less energy than an older washer...

Quote:
She is also one who buys so many diapers it's crazy, she's spent way over the $500 I bet. She also owns close to $1000 in baby carriers.
Before I had DD, I knew I'd use a sling of some sort - all the women I saw in rural villages in the developing world used them and they worked great. I figured I would as well. I scoffed at the expensive carriers. Those women used large pieces of cloth. Surely I could do that.

Ha! I realized there's a learning curve with how to use that cloth, and since I wasn't amongst the women of the rural villages when I had my baby, I had no one to teach me. I gave in and invested about $100 in 2 different types of slings, and man was that money well spent! Best $100 I've ever spent. Hands free. Could nurse easily while carrying her in it. Now when she still wants to be held, it's a lot less weight in my arms to put her in the sling. DH used it all the time too.

Quote:
I just think it's interesting when people pick up things like cloth diapering and baby-wearing more as an "in thing" than the good behind the choices, you know? Just making observations. Not slamming cloth, I have nothing wrong with it!
I honestly don't know anyone who has chosen it because it's a fad. I wish more would! it's pretty much what most of the people in my family have done over the years, all seems perfectly natural to me.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,300,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
You simply minimize water wastage by using a high efficiency washing machine.
I have no idea why I'm even reading this topic! Not a g-ma but my kids are way beyond dipes and sposies... Guess I like to keep up with the trends?

Seriously...I'm all for a better "eco" life, but sometimes these topics are brought up like this is just now becoming a "new" concept. Maybe I'm a dinosaur around here, but I remember Earth Day and serious discussions about "ecology" back in the day. "Being GREEN used to mean you were a fan of Kermit the frog....and even older than that a fan of Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans!"

I realize there are of lot of improved ideas, along with 24/7 television with 300+ channels (including numerous channels dedicated just to being "green").....AND the internet that gives instant access to anything and all things "green". But in my "dinosaur" experience, I've learned that the consumer needs to be super savvy in deciding what really is "green" for them.

Chaka....you used a perfect example. You have a new high efficiency washing machine....and you have the time somehow to hang your laundry out to dry. That's an excellent choice for you.

My nephew is just out of law school, married with twins...my niece cannot work right now because of the babies, and he's got astronomical school loans to pay while working as a starting associate in a small law firm. Needless to say, they were HAPPY to pay $150 for a washer/dryer that are about 8 years old. It's really not that simple for everyone to just run out and buy new high efficiency appliances, cars, AC systems...or even organically grown food. (I promise I'm trying to stay on topic here). Buying, eating, living and even thinking green can be very expensive.

I suppose the bottom line is that we are all suffering through growing pains in all being better stewards for our planet. With the current economical climate, it's only going to be tougher for starter families to get good paying jobs plus the buying power of even just a few months ago.

I just hate to see these discussions turn into snubbing others who may be disadvantaged at this point in their life and who cannot decide to junk their non-efficient appliances or modes of transportation.

I think anyone who is making progress to improve one thing at a time deserves kudos for being environmentally progressive enough to do whatever is within their means.

Chaka....I didn't mean to single you out in particular....just a common ideology that is often the argument I so often hear these days. I've seen others make statements as yours before as if it was nothing to just "simply" go out and get new costly appliances etc. We now are facing the problem of all those old appliances ending up somewhere.....hopefully being reclaimed for parts or renewed scrap material....but heaven forbid they end up in landfills. When Lowes or HD delivers our new energy efficient frig and water miser dishwashers, how many of us ask where the old one's go?? We need to hold them accountable as well.

Anyway....back to "dipes and sposies" ....to each their own....but lets not snub our noses at anyone who chooses whatever doesn't seem to be the "greenest" trend. None of us are in a position to judge other's personal circumstances.

Last edited by wCat; 10-07-2008 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Chaka....you used a perfect example. You have a new high efficiency washing machine....and you have the time somehow to hang your laundry out to dry. That's an excellent choice for you.

My nephew is just out of law school, married with twins...my niece cannot work right now because of the babies, and he's got astronomical school loans to pay while working as a starting associate in a small law firm. Needless to say, they were HAPPY to pay $150 for a washer/dryer that are about 8 years old. It's really not that simple for everyone to just run out and buy new high efficiency appliances, cars, AC systems...or even organically grown food. (I promise I'm trying to stay on topic here). Buying, eating, living and even thinking green can be very expensive.

I suppose the bottom line is that we are all suffering through growing pains in all being better stewards for our planet. With the current economical climate, it's only going to be tougher for starter families to get good paying jobs plus the buying power of even just a few months ago.

I just hate to see these discussions turn into snubbing others who may be disadvantaged at this point in their life and who cannot decide to junk their non-efficient appliances or modes of transportation.

I think anyone who is making progress to improve one thing at a time deserves kudos for being environmentally progressive enough to do whatever is within their means.

Chaka....I didn't mean to single you out in particular....just a common ideology that is often the argument I so often here these days. I've seen others make statements as yours before as if it was nothing to just "simply" go out and get new costly appliances etc. We now are facing the problem of all those old appliances ending up somewhere.....hopefully being reclaimed for parts or renewed scrap material....but heaven forbid they end up in landfills. When Lowes or HD delivers our new energy efficient frig and water miser dishwashers, how many of us ask where the old one's go?? We need to hold them accountable as well.

Anyway....back to "dipes and sposies" ....to each their own....but lets not snub our noses at anyone who chooses whatever doesn't seem to be the "greenest" trend. None of us are in a position to judge other's personal circumstances.
Um, I didn't snub anyone. I responded directly to the question of how to avoid wasting water. Am I not allowed to answer? Should I have said it wasn't possible to not waste water? I stated how *I* avoid wasting water while using cloth diapers.

Even in a standard washing machine, an extra 2-3 loads of wash per week for diapers isn't a huge environmental cost.

On your other points - I work FT. It takes me 5 minutes to hang my laundry in the morning, 5 minutes to take it down in the evening. We don't own a dryer. it's too expensive and in this climate not necessary 90% of the year (tho I also hung my laundry when I lived in the Midwest and New England). No, I don't expect everyone to do that if it doesn't work for them for whatever reason, but don't act like I live a life of leisure with tons of time on my hands because I use a laundry line. It's simply a choice I have made - THAT is how I don't use excess energy with respect to cloth diapering - in response to the specific question that was asked. Oh, and I work FT because I work in the public sector (i.e. low pay) and have significant student loans to pay.

Some other info -
I bought my washing machine in 2002 - I didn't own any washing machine prior to that, so none to get rid of, but decided I should invest in one finally that would last ($400 - no not the cheapest out there, but much cheaper than the fancy ones at Lowes). I "simply" avoided buying other things at the time so I could pay for the washer because that was the choice I made for my lifestyle.

The washer and the cloth diapers ($200) have easily paid for themselves in the amount it would have cost to buy disposables for the past 2 years and for any future kids.

Does everyone have to make that particular choice? No. Some things may not be as convenient as others - honestly if I lived in an apartment with only access to coin operated laundry down the street, I would likely not cloth diaper (though I have used the coin operated laundry down the street when ours was not working for awhile). We each decide what works best for us.

As for cloth diapers being a "green fad' - they've been around for many many many many years. There are new types out there, but they're nothing new. My mom used them, my grandparents used them, their parents used them...

As for it being expensive - quite the opposite. Buying the newest fad may be, but 'true' green living involves *not* buying, minimize use, minimize waste.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,300,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Um, I didn't snub anyone. I responded directly to the question of how to avoid wasting water. Am I not allowed to answer? Should I have said it wasn't possible to not waste water? I stated how *I* avoid wasting water while using cloth diapers.

Even in a standard washing machine, an extra 2-3 loads of wash per week for diapers isn't a huge environmental cost.

On your other points - I work FT. It takes me 5 minutes to hang my laundry in the morning, 5 minutes to take it down in the evening. We don't own a dryer. it's too expensive and in this climate not necessary 90% of the year (tho I also hung my laundry when I lived in the Midwest and New England). No, I don't expect everyone to do that if it doesn't work for them for whatever reason, but don't act like I live a life of leisure with tons of time on my hands because I use a laundry line. It's simply a choice I have made - THAT is how I don't use excess energy with respect to cloth diapering - in response to the specific question that was asked. Oh, and I work FT because I work in the public sector (i.e. low pay) and have significant student loans to pay.

Some other info -
I bought my washing machine in 2002 - I didn't own any washing machine prior to that, so none to get rid of, but decided I should invest in one finally that would last ($400 - no not the cheapest out there, but much cheaper than the fancy ones at Lowes). I "simply" avoided buying other things at the time so I could pay for the washer because that was the choice I made for my lifestyle.

The washer and the cloth diapers ($200) have easily paid for themselves in the amount it would have cost to buy disposables for the past 2 years and for any future kids.

Does everyone have to make that particular choice? No. Some things may not be as convenient as others - honestly if I lived in an apartment with only access to coin operated laundry down the street, I would likely not cloth diaper (though I have used the coin operated laundry down the street when ours was not working for awhile). We each decide what works best for us.

As for cloth diapers being a "green fad' - they've been around for many many many many years. There are new types out there, but they're nothing new. My mom used them, my grandparents used them, their parents used them...

As for it being expensive - quite the opposite. Buying the newest fad may be, but 'true' green living involves *not* buying, minimize use, minimize waste.
Ummm...Chaka....I specifically said I wasn't singling you out. BTW - I used cloth diapers too. And even as young parents we chose them because I didn't want expensive wasteful "sposies" and they were "ecologically" better....we just didn't label everything as "green". No biggie there.

It's really ok....my point is to everyone..again NOT you.....we all have different circumstances. I think good discussions are about considering the different shoes in which everyone walks.

Last edited by wCat; 10-07-2008 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 PM

284 posts, read 1,081,816 times
I'm sorry to admit that I used disposable diapers when my kids were born 9 and 14 years ago. We used the cloth diapers for spit-up rags because both kids spit up quite a bit. They got so used to having the cloth diapers around they became their woobies/security "blankets". We never had any trouble back then buying new packages to replace lost "my-mys".

Do day care centers have issues with using cloth diapers on babies in their care? Everyone taking care of the child would have to get "on board" with this and I don't think I could have convinced all the caregivers of my kids back then.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Ummm...Chaka....I specifically said I wasn't singling you out. BTW - I used cloth diapers too. And even when I was a young parents we chose them because I didn't want expensive wasteful "sposies" and they were "ecologically" better....we just didn't label everything as "green". No biggie there.

It's really ok....my point is to everyone..again NOT you.....we all have different circumstances. I think good discussions are about considering the different shoes in which everyone walks.
If you're using my statement as an example of not considering different circumstances, you're reading waaaay too much into it.

I actually find the term "green living" kind of annoying, because it does turn everything we've done for the past 20 years into a 'fad' instead of the reality of living consciously. In general I find that labels diminish things.

Back to the topic at hand - people tend to think cloth = water/energy wasting. People tend to think using a laundry line is a laborious process. People also tend to think cloth diapering is expensive (it can be, but doesn't need to be). I'm glad the question was asked earlier, as it allows those of us who do it the opportunity to educate and inform others about these misconceptions.

And back to the original topic - it's great that local retailers are starting to offer such options. That means that local consumers are interested in using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio