Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:01 PM
JNA JNA started this thread

243 posts, read 732,652 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to consider all the options in and around San Antonio. A couple of places I've seen are in Windcrest and Live Oak. I wanted to find out how these places are. We're looking for low crime areas with good schools in an area close to shopping, restaurants, etc, and short commute to downtown and other potential places of employment. This forum has been great. I've gotten lots of research done just by browsing through here. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JNA; 02-12-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,302,460 times
Hello JNA....welcome to San Antonio!

Are you finding homes in Live Oak and Windcrest that fit your family, budget and needs in a home? The I-35 commute from Windcrest would be easier than Live Oak....but almost anything outside loop 410 is getting very hectic during rush hour.

As far as safety, I can't speak for Live Oak, but Windcrest is very safe. My mother still lives there after 40 years in the same house. Windcrest has a very responsive police department, as well as community volunteers that patrol the city of Windcrest. Walzem Elementary is a very good school, but I will say my alma mater of Roosevelt HS has not faired as well. Some of the areas surrounding Windcrest are not very well maintained.....they don't have organized homeowners associations nor are they incorporated into a small city for public and police services. Windcrest, however is a great neighborhood for retired military and there are a lot of AF and ARMY retired Veterans. The city looks untouched to me.....very well kept over the years.

Roosevelt has a new campus, so you might want make an onsite visit and get a feel for the atmosphere. NEISD can also provide you with current stats on test scores and the student body...etc. I understand that the rejuvenation on campus has helped the moral considerably.....but that final call will be up to your needs. Best of luck!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:13 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,409,062 times
woah woah....Walzem Elementary, has something to be desired, but Windcrest goes into Windcrest Elementary. I second that Windcrest is very safe, with it's own private police department the area is known as being more quiet. I encourage you to visit Roosevelt before you pass any judgement. I attended the school briefly, in 2002-03 and found it no different than my home school of MacArthur High School. The new campus is gorgeous.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 AM

283 posts, read 1,832,084 times
MACARTHUR HS
Ethnicity This School State Average
White 50% 37%
Hispanic 36% 45%
African American 10% 15%
Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%
Native American <1% <1%

ROOSEVELT HS

Ethnicity This School State Average
Hispanic 45% 45%
African American 26% 15%
White 25% 37%
Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%
Native American <1% <1%

Aside from race, Mac and Roosevelt are comparable. Both campuses are newly rennovated and both schools are rich in tradition.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:57 AM
JNA JNA started this thread

243 posts, read 732,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Hello JNA....welcome to San Antonio!

Are you finding homes in Live Oak and Windcrest that fit your family, budget and needs in a home?
Well, I'm not in San Antonio yet. Still living in Southern CA, but my wife and I are going out to San Antonio end of May (we visited once on Thansgiving weekend). I think it's what me and my wife are looking for....getting away from the rat race and with insane commutes just to live at a still overpriced house.

We're trying to buy a new 4 bedroom, 2500 sq ft house and keep it under $200K. We're also looking at Alamo Ranch, areas near Helotes, and Stone Oak (but under $200K may be tough). Any other recommendations would be great! We want a place with good schools and close to all the basics (including employment opportunities).

Old 02-13-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
woah woah....Walzem Elementary, has something to be desired, but Windcrest goes into Windcrest Elementary. I second that Windcrest is very safe, with it's own private police department the area is known as being more quiet. I encourage you to visit Roosevelt before you pass any judgement. I attended the school briefly, in 2002-03 and found it no different than my home school of MacArthur High School. The new campus is gorgeous.
My "pink" category brain is catching up with me! You are exactly rignt...it is Windcrest Elementary ON Midcrown IN Windcrest. Gosh....is there a "Walzem" elementary????

Old 02-13-2007, 03:50 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,409,062 times
Walzem Elementary is on Walzem between I-35 and austin highway, across from gold's gym and the old randolph-brooks credit union headquarters

Walzem EL....

Windcrest...

Last edited by smuboy86; 02-13-2007 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Walzem Elementary is on Walzem between I-35 and austin highway, across from gold's gym and the old randolph-brooks credit union headquarters

Walzem EL....

Windcrest...
OK...I'm moving today....I'm giving myself a pass on totally forgetting about THAT school! I have driven by it a zillion times and my CU is across the street. duh! Maybe it's time to pack the computer?

Old 02-13-2007, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 42,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
I'm trying to consider all the options in and around San Antonio. A couple of places I've seen are in Windcrest and Live Oak. I wanted to find out how these places are. We're looking for low crime areas with good schools in an area close to shopping, restaurants, etc, and short commute to downtown and other potential places of employment. This forum has been great. I've gotten lots of research done just by browsing through here. Thanks in advance!
Sorry I'm new on this bussines, and it seems that I hit the wrong key so I didnot finish what I was seying. Well I moved to stonewood area near to Live Oak and it is very peaceful, very low crime; but, it is growing rapidly. There was only one new neihborhood, now there houses everywhere. There are many new stores and restaurrnts opening around here. The NEISD, northeast Ind. Sch Dist. is one of the best districts in San antonio (I work there, of course) but seroisly it is one of the best in town. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:33 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,622,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
Well, I'm not in San Antonio yet. Still living in Southern CA, but my wife and I are going out to San Antonio end of May (we visited once on Thanksgiving weekend). I think it's what me and my wife are looking for....getting away from the rat race and with insane commutes just to live at a still overpriced house.

We're trying to buy a new 4 bedroom, 2500 sq ft house and keep it under $200K. We're also looking at Alamo Ranch, areas near Helotes, and Stone Oak (but under $200K may be tough). Any other recommendations would be great! We want a place with good schools and close to all the basics (including employment opportunities).
There are a couple of housing developments that have what you want (SF and price). There are Centex homes on Potranco and Talley Road, and DR Horton further west on Potranco. There are also Centex homes on FM 1560 and Culebra. Alamo Ranch has DR Horton homes in that price range also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio