Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:35 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has had an increasing crime rate for the past two years. This isn't surprising. It isn't a "small city" anymore and if you cannot accept that then it's time to move. SA crime will only grow with the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Crime is down compared to last year.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Crime is down compared to last year.
You are correct. We did have a bad weekend, and today was pretty violent--but look--the victim knew the attacker at the college shooting.

I still feel safe here.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 PM

160 posts, read 525,777 times
Here's a page that lists San Antonio "UCR" crime data (the same as on the FBI site?) going back to 1996.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/SAPD/ucr.asp?res=1024&ver=true

It's interesting to see the fluctuations in offenses from year to year.

Check out the foot note for "Crimes Against Persons" - it's a combination of homicides and other offenses. "Property Crimes" is a combination of, well... property crimes.

What's crazy is that in the past 10+ years, "crimes against persons" has just about doubled, but homicides has gone up around 20%.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,849 times
Parents being parents to their kids would be a GREAT start to helping to end the crime problem we have here. I'm always hearing about some kid that was out at 3 am and caused some trouble or got hurt. My first question is why the heck was a 14 year old out at 3 am and on a school night? Then these parents come on news crying that their baby was shot .... start being a parent and your kids wouldn't be in that situation in the first place! Look at the baby girl who was shot and killed on Sunday here. 3 years old and it was all because her dad was in a gang and someone went to his house to take him out. How sad for that little girl that her father set her in that position! I'm tired of seeing kids killed either by the hands of their parents or the causes of their parents.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymammantx View Post
Parents being parents to their kids would be a GREAT start to helping to end the crime problem we have here. I'm always hearing about some kid that was out at 3 am and caused some trouble or got hurt. My first question is why the heck was a 14 year old out at 3 am and on a school night? Then these parents come on news crying that their baby was shot .... start being a parent and your kids wouldn't be in that situation in the first place! Look at the baby girl who was shot and killed on Sunday here. 3 years old and it was all because her dad was in a gang and someone went to his house to take him out. How sad for that little girl that her father set her in that position! I'm tired of seeing kids killed either by the hands of their parents or the causes of their parents.

They brought that upon themselves. As sad as it may be it is the dads fault.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
They brought that upon themselves. As sad as it may be it is the dads fault.

That's my point exactly. Don't whine and cry when something bad happens to your children. YOU set that in motion by not willingly growing up and getting yourself away from those situations. I don't feel sad for the parents, I feel sad for the baby who will never grow up. She may have become just like her parents but she may have also grown up to be something great and the world will never know because of the sins of the father. I'm so sick of hearing about these stories. The little 2 year old girl beaten by her caregiver, mom was in prison for drug charges and the family wants to demand answers. Start looking at what put the child in that situation in the first place. Take responsibility if you want to breed and be a role model for your kids!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
I think every parent has the right to grieve and be pained by the loss of their own child if they truly loved that child regardless of the situation they may have unfortunately put that child in. I do think its shameful and angering when someone creates a life, but doesnt have the sense to get themselves out of this kind of "lifestyle." I am not sure what these kinds of parents must feel or go through when they lose a child, knowing full well they put their child in that kind of situation. I imagine for the parent who loved that child, they may very well be experiencing unbearable pain, as they well should. I think its unfortunate that things like this appear to be happening on a frequent basis, but maybe the root cause of all of this should be examined. I noticed others mention that people involved in these kinds of situation procreate and then raise their children this way and it becomes a cycle, so what can possibly be done to terminate the cycle? I am asking for legitimate input, not the typical "sterlize them" but something more substantial than that. Obviously certain people become involved in violent activity for a reason. For some reason certain people are lured into this lifestyle as if it were the norm. But why is that? What drives that behaviour and why does it continue? Where did the breakdown in parenting occur and what can WE as a society do to change that? In general society writes people like this off, and assumes that they are not their problem....but they are your problem. Just because they havent seeped into your gated community doesnt mean they are not. And you cant just kill them all or wish you could ship them off somewhere. What about rehabilitation? What about teaching a skill? Giving people an opportunity? I think young people with children who participate in violent activity such as gang banging, are maybe wishful for an opportunity out of this "life" but are unsure where to go or how to proceed and therefore remain hopeless and give up accepting that this is just the card they are dealt. Not everyone is going to be as strong minded as the next person, some people truly do need HELP.

Just my two cents - please dont shoot me...or sterilize me.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
I think the parents, or at the very least, the father of this latest baby killed, should be held accountable. They took her into that front bedroom knowing full well that he was a target. That's beyond comprehension for most of us--no soldier would take his child into combat, and gang warfare is far more ruthless and cold. I just get so outraged when they cry on the news and demand answers, when the answers lie within. They should not have put that baby in harm's way, and they chose to anyway. Shame on them.

There are opportunities out there--they just choose to ignore them.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
There are opportunities out there--they just choose to ignore them.
Right on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio