Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:39 AM

160 posts, read 525,971 times

Advertisements

I worked in a (I think it was a) March of Dimes haunted house in the late 70s. I think it was on Broadway, near the Witte museum. It was in a multi-story building, and it was an absolute blast to be a part of.

I worked in a section called the maze, which was a long narrow corridor that was pitch dark. We would hide in small areas cut into the walls and would scare people as the made their way through. Fun stuff!

Does anyone remember this haunted house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,900 times
I worked in the Youth For Christ Haunted House for two years in the 1970's. It was not affiliated with the Haunted House on Grayson or any other Haunted House. It was set up in the old Anton Wulff House off of Durango Blvd., before it was sold to the San Antonio Conservation Society.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,271 times
Thumbs up Lancaster youth for Christ haunted house

I remember waiting for hours to get in. Yes, it was ALWAYS worth the wait. There were always hundreds outside in line. I think that they would advertise that the previous year they had 14 thousand people. I still have a flyer somewhere.... When you were let in to a auditorium (you rec'd a group number)you first watched a religious movie that gave the word of God and a invitation to accept Jesus into your heart. Next they had a "Hot Seat. It was 2 seats that were connected to a battery and a red light. 2 people would go up and whoever was the slowest on hitting a pedal when the light went red got the hot seat. You could watch the people for hours. When you group number was called you got excited. If you went before- you knew it was in two buildings and you would at one time be walking thought a court yard.. You walked in black and white rooms with strobe lights, up ladders, the ceiling would start to lower and you would be on your hands and knees and you would exit going down a huge slide. Yes, it was a haunted house but I can tell you that I am 60 years old and still will never forget the fun we had. My friends and I talk about it to this day... The purpose was of course to make money but also to attract the non-believer with hopes that maybe the 15 minute movie would spur their hearts to Christ.. That 15 minute movie was heard by teens and adults that knew nothing of God or religion. It was always a very moving message.
I am telling you that I will never forget the FUN we had on those cold evenings.
If they still had something like that I would take my grandkids in a minute. And yes, I am a Christian. My own children always heard about it..
In 1992 because of my memories I wrote the youth pastor and asked "how to make the hot heat". The Executive director said they still had it but could not tell me how to make it...
YEs, I was a big fan and have wonderful FUN memories.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,934 times
Back in the 70's and early 80's there was a haunted house that came to the Cerritos Mall every year. It was called Campus Life and it was SO scary!! I remember my Dad taking my brother and all our friends in the back of the truck---The line would be HUGE and I swear it was the best haunted house around.
Does anyone remember this? I could not find anything on the internet about it, so sad that its gone, I would love my children to experience it

Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
Default Scream in the Dark

I too fondly remember Scream in the Dark... it was located at the Youth for Christ on New Danville Pike in Lancaster, PA. There are many imitators in Lancaster County, even some "borrow" things from the original (like the checker room/checker man), but none can match what YFC did back in the 70's. I too loved the electric chairs and the anticipation of waiting for your group to be called. I was fortunate enough when I was 14 to be able to help get the two haunted barns ready for the next opening. I painted, set up props and thought how cool it was to see everything during the day.
My friends and I had such good memories, and I literally was telling my kids about it recently. I had forgotten about the movie they showed. I can still see the packed auditorium and the losers in the "hot seat" competition jumping straight in the air after getting shocked. I too lost that battle a couple of times.
Crawling up a dirt tunnel from the basement of the barn and ascending an open grave into a graveyard was very cool. And the exit slide down a big fiberglass tube was the icing on the cake.
Tragic though that it was closed down because of misbehaving teenagers and under age drinking in the parking lot by the very kids that the organization was serving this great attraction.
If anyone knows of any photographs floating around out there, I would love to see some from that fun time in my life. Thanks for the post.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 PM

336 posts, read 484,102 times
These don't have anything to do with those awful, nazi-like 'Hell Houses' that churches put on in an attempt to scare and vilify those they don't like?

Old 09-13-2016, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,172 times
I Not Only Remember Scream In The Dark I Played The Frankenstien Monster There From 1975 - 1979. It Was Great Fun! it Was At The Minnesota State Fair Grounds In The 4 H Building!

Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 PM

1,037 posts, read 876,275 times
'Hell House' formats are, to me, socially troubling. It's nice to see so few of them left in operation.

The March of Dimes was the organization who had their haunted tent up at what was then Crossroads Mall. They did a nice scare and I always enjoyed the chainsaw at the end of the maze. Lots of fun.

Today, I'd say that 13th Floor on Commerce St has the lock of being the professional, scariest and most creative haunt in San Antonio. Those folks put on a terrific show.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
Wink scream in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmorrison View Post
I too fondly remember Scream in the Dark... it was located at the Youth for Christ on New Danville Pike in Lancaster, PA. There are many imitators in Lancaster County, even some "borrow" things from the original (like the checker room/checker man), but none can match what YFC did back in the 70's. I too loved the electric chairs and the anticipation of waiting for your group to be called. I was fortunate enough when I was 14 to be able to help get the two haunted barns ready for the next opening. I painted, set up props and thought how cool it was to see everything during the day.
My friends and I had such good memories, and I literally was telling my kids about it recently. I had forgotten about the movie they showed. I can still see the packed auditorium and the losers in the "hot seat" competition jumping straight in the air after getting shocked. I too lost that battle a couple of times.
Crawling up a dirt tunnel from the basement of the barn and ascending an open grave into a graveyard was very cool. And the exit slide down a big fiberglass tube was the icing on the cake.
Tragic though that it was closed down because of misbehaving teenagers and under age drinking in the parking lot by the very kids that the organization was serving this great attraction.
If anyone knows of any photographs floating around out there, I would love to see some from that fun time in my life. Thanks for the post.
I also remember this when I lived in Lancaster in 1973 and my friend told me and my husband that we just had to go. She said she was so scared she pissed her pants. We went and it was fantastic especially the checker man/checker room. I went screaming out of that room. The basement was so black you could not see a thing and there were ladders that you had to climb up and you had to enter the house crawling on your hands and knees. And yes they had the exit slide down into the graveyard. I still talk about this house every year at Halloween and remember how much fun it was. Long wait to go in but they kept you amused with the hot seat and it was well worth the wait

Old 10-31-2016, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,013 times
Default Lancaster Scream in the Dark

I just came across information that Millersville Bible Church recently purchased the former Youth For Christ site, along with that infamous barn! You can so an internet search to see the pictures inside and outside of the Barn. Brings back fond memories! Some props were still in that Barn after all the decades!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio