U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,179,564 times

Advertisements

You are not going to find any pizza downtown. Best pizza in town is Florios, which is in Alamo Heights. Blue Star is the closest microbrewery to downtown, although I was very disappointed when I recently went there for a happy hour. All 4 of us ordered something different and they were out of everything we asked for. They are trying so hard to be anti-establishment/anti-chain, they can't even serve their customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 AM

340 posts, read 1,299,699 times
Default Micro-brewerys non-existant

As far as micro-breweries- there really isn't any.I moved here from Oregon ,which is known for its micro-brews and I haven't found a good dark beer yet.They usually offer a Guiness as your option.Nothing on tap but the name brand domestics or light beers.I'm going back to brewing my own again.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 AM

72 posts, read 205,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Sorry - wrong-o! Dough Pizzeria is awesome; the real deal.
Maybe I'm wrong-o. Dough Pizzeria is one of the only berry bushes I have yet to pollinate. I'd given up honestly. I'll let you know if San Antonio might just be worthy of my coveted "Pizza Worth Writing Home About" award. Just so we're on the same page, what will knock-my-socks-off?

Last edited by Schaertl; 10-15-2008 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 08:51 AM

259 posts, read 818,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
As far as micro-breweries- there really isn't any.
As has been pointed out above, that's not the case.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 AM

51 posts, read 154,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
As far as micro-breweries- there really isn't any.I moved here from Oregon ,which is known for its micro-brews and I haven't found a good dark beer yet.They usually offer a Guiness as your option.Nothing on tap but the name brand domestics or light beers.I'm going back to brewing my own again.
I know it's not a micro-brew, but there are some places (flying saucer) you can get Shiner Black on tap. In my opinion there's nothing finer!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,147,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
As has been pointed out above, that's not the case.
IIRC, someone posted in another thread that there are no restaurants in San Antonio brewing beer on the premises, because it is not permitted under state law. I wish I could find the link.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 AM

259 posts, read 818,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
IIRC, someone posted in another thread that there are no restaurants in San Antonio brewing beer on the premises, because it is not permitted under state law.
Blue Star's website says "The stainless steel vats and brewing facility are right at home in what was once an old beer storage warehouse."

And the almost-completed Freetail Brewing Company's website says "Our gas-fired steam boiler will be delivered and installed on Tuesday, and shortly after we’ll be moving the brewery into its new home. After that, the real fun begins as we mash in for the first time to get ready for opening."

I don't know the particulars, but it *sounds* like they're brewing beer.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 AM

2,355 posts, read 5,408,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
If you're going to be downtown, the closest brew-pub is Blue Star Brewing Co. in the Blue Star Arts Complex in Southtown. You can catch one of the red trolleys, or a take 3 minute cab ride, or hoof it through the interesting Southtown/King William neighborhood. They usually have 4-6 beers of the day, and food is pretty decent.
I like this place the brew is pretty good, a far drive for me but well worth it.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
You are not going to find any pizza downtown. Best pizza in town is Florios, which is in Alamo Heights. Blue Star is the closest microbrewery to downtown, although I was very disappointed when I recently went there for a happy hour. All 4 of us ordered something different and they were out of everything we asked for. They are trying so hard to be anti-establishment/anti-chain, they can't even serve their customers.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I don't think that's the norm. We go there frequently (it's a short walk), and while they are occasionally out of one of their specialty beers which are brewed in smaller quantities, they generally have a full selection of brews to choose from. Maybe you got there after a particularly busy night.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM

824 posts, read 1,602,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaertl View Post
Maybe I'm wrong-o. Dough Pizzeria is one of the only berry bushes I have yet to pollinate. I'd given up honestly. I'll let you know if San Antonio might just be worthy of my coveted "Pizza Worth Writing Home About" award. Just so we're on the same page, what will knock-my-socks-off?
I was just being flip in my initial response. If you're a pizza lover, you owe it to yourself to check out Dough. Passionate owners making great pizza. The only thing I would change is the location (to say, like, 2 blocks from my house!).

As it's legit Neopolitan-style (ultra-thin crispy crust, homemade mozzerella, etc.), I usually just go with the margherita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or