Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 PM

504 posts, read 1,450,809 times

Advertisements

i know it takes 6 months to get back a GSR. so if you are CSI, do you know Gus? how about Lt. Velazquez?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarDug View Post
... Actually, I'm one of em. I was curious what folks in San Antonio really know about us... Any ideas what we really do or how we operate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,879,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarDug View Post
... Actually, I'm one of em. I was curious what folks in San Antonio really know about us... Any ideas what we really do or how we operate?
I know I saw a pretty attractive female driving one of your trucks the other day!

Seriously, if you are with the SAPD CSU, I would be interested in finding out what you really do. I hope most people realize that it is nothing like on TV (personally, I like The First 48 better than any of the CSI shows, it is a better depiction of how crimes are really solved); but are there any programs where we, the general public, can find out more about your mission?

My organization works with some law enforcement, but mostly in the counterterrorism arena. We've had some seminars down at the SAPD training facility on south 410, to include weapons and explosives demonstrations which are always a blast (pun intended! ).

Cheers! M2

Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,730,633 times
Well, I know through reading here and driving around the city when I was there that they don't chase down your everyday taggers.

Now this thread will probably blow up to about 18 pages.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,297,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Seriously, if you are with the SAPD CSU, I would be interested in finding out what you really do. I hope most people realize that it is nothing like on TV (personally, I like The First 48 better than any of the CSI shows, it is a better depiction of how crimes are really solved); but are there any programs where we, the general public, can find out more about your mission?
Yes....even us simpletons in SA do know that shows like CSI and The First 48 are for entertainment purposes only.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Yes....even us simpletons in SA do know that shows like CSI and The First 48 are for entertainment purposes only.
Errrr...The First 48 follows real detectives around during real criminal investigations. There is no scripts, plots, or actors involved. From the link I posted...

Quote:
For homicide detectives, the clock starts ticking the moment they are called. Their chance of solving a case is cut in half if they don't get a lead in THE FIRST 48â„¢. Each passing hour gives suspects more time to flee, witnesses more time to forget what they saw, and crucial evidence more time to be lost forever.

THE FIRST 48â„¢ follows detectives from around the country during these first critical hours as they race against time to find the suspect. Gritty and fast-paced, it takes viewers behind the scenes of real-life investigations with unprecedented access to crime scenes, autopsies, forensic processing, and interrogations.
Cheers! M2

Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Errrr...The First 48 follows real detectives around during real criminal investigations. There is no scripts, plots, or actors involved. From the link I posted...

Cheers! M2
Apologies MMM.....I didn't mean to imply that The First 48 was not "real"....I just categorize anything on TV as entertainment. That's just me.
Some is educational and very worthwhile. I just like the entertainment with a "story" ....
My comment wasn't directed to you at all.....just the oft time comments that SAer's are a bit "slow". Just ignore me today....

Old 10-16-2008, 12:25 PM

No worries, wCat; if you want real entertainment be out in the parking lot where I work in the afternoons as I try to remember when I parked my car!

On real fun afternoons, I'll walk around looking for my car for about ten minutes before I realize I rode the motorcycle!

However, the best was when I couldn't find the keys to my Jeep, and I started digging in the bag where I stored the jacket I wore that morning for about five minutes before realizing that they might be in one of the pockets of said jacket!

It's more entertainment than a person can handle!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-17-2008, 06:07 AM

778 posts, read 2,491,713 times
Quote:
No worries, wCat; if you want real entertainment be out in the parking lot where I work in the afternoons as I try to remember when I parked my car!

On real fun afternoons, I'll walk around looking for my car for about ten minutes before I realize I rode the motorcycle!

However, the best was when I couldn't find the keys to my Jeep, and I started digging in the bag where I stored the jacket I wore that morning for about five minutes before realizing that they might be in one of the pockets of said jacket!

It's more entertainment than a person can handle!

Cheers! M2
This gives me an idea for a new excuse for homeless people and habitual loiterers when the SAPD rolls up on them - "Officer, I was just looking for where I parked my car, honest."

Back to OP - it would be interesting to know if the SAPD CSI folks are the same as the evidence collection units. Years ago I someone attempt to steal a car and an evidence unit came to take prints. I was hoping for a red haired guy to whip off his dark shades and whisper, "I've got your finger prints; next, I'll have the thief.", but instead, it was just some guy who told me the truth - "Nope, we won't catch the perp who did this."

Old 10-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
This gives me an idea for a new excuse for homeless people and habitual loiterers when the SAPD rolls up on them - "Officer, I was just looking for where I parked my car, honest."

Back to OP - it would be interesting to know if the SAPD CSI folks are the same as the evidence collection units. Years ago I someone attempt to steal a car and an evidence unit came to take prints. I was hoping for a red haired guy to whip off his dark shades and whisper, "I've got your finger prints; next, I'll have the thief.", but instead, it was just some guy who told me the truth - "Nope, we won't catch the perp who did this."
LOL....or another version....[taking off shades, while talking to perp] "....when I get xyz evidence, I'll hunt you down and I will "get" you!" woooo....scary!

I'm sure THAT is not a real portrayal of how true professionals work CSU/CSI.

Which brings me to a question for the OP. What is the difference between CSU and CSI? I've heard both used IRL....is there a diff, or is it just a region/jurisdictional choice of words for the forensics portion of a crime investigation?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 PM

9 posts, read 21,418 times
Sorry for the delay...I'm working round the clock with side odd jobs trying to make ends meet. Yeah, we are not rich as many presume. Dispatchers even make more than us!!!! Or it figures out to about a quarter of what a Detective makes. Pittiful hun? And we are responsible for everything from petty thefts to capital murders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
i know it takes 6 months to get back a GSR. so if you are CSI, do you know Gus? how about Lt. Velazquez?
Yeah, GSRs can run as little as a couple weeks when send to the MEs Office. However, DNA first off, used to cost about $800 per run and took about 6 months. Not sure who gus is but the LT is now the Central Captain.

We had First 48 crews following us around a year or so back. I was on a few episodes. It's actually the most "real" of all the shows from what I've seen. The CSI shows make me sick. In fact, our program is better than all of theirs...they drive dumpy cargo vans and wear zippered up jump suits.

I was actually curious if anyone actually knew that most CSIs in the nation are actually civilians. All highly trained and degrees required. We've got several with Master's. The SAPDs Crime Scene Unit is currently contract set at 70% civilian and 30% sworn which all began about 11 years ago. Highly successful from any perspective you look at it. Huge cost savings. Outrageous clearance rates. Stats through the roof. Now wanna guess what the association that we aren't allowed to be a part of is planning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio