Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM

112 posts, read 180,933 times

Advertisements

I may be visiting San Antonio in the summer and I'll only have a day or two to look around and get a feel for the place as a possible relocation area.

What are the must sees besides the River Walk and the Alamo?

I like vegetarian food
specialty shops
New age
Arts
Historical sites
Walking/jogging
books

I don't care for high end shops

I've looked through a couple of guide books, but I like to know what the locals think

Last edited by NJ2?; 03-25-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 05:24 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
The Missions for SURE!!!

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park - San Antonio Missions National Historical Park

I like the Segway tour of San Antonio...LOTS of fun and facts and you get to learn a LOT in a very short period of time!

San Antonio Segway Tours | Viator

Gotta go up to the Tower of the Americas even if ONLY for a drink (or two) so you can watch the sunset and all the lights come on (try dinner up there, VERY good even if a little pricey), The Witte Museaum, Botanical Gardens (if you are here during Garden by Moonlight that is lots of fun!)

Tower of the Americas - Taking Entertaiment & Fine Dining to New Heights.

Welcome to the Witte Museum in San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio Botanical Garden

The Garrison area of Ft Sam (the Quadrangle) where there is lots of history and the deer in the middle to feed.

Fort Sam Houston Quadrangle - San Antonio, Texas - Yahoo! Travel

The Sunken Gardens at Brackenridge, and if you have an extra day, spend the day in Brackenridge park enjoying the beauty laying out on a blanket and having a picnic.

Japanese Tea Gardens (Sunken Gardens) - San Antonio, Texas - Yahoo! Travel

Brackenridge Park :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
I may be visiting San Antonio in the summer and I'll only have a day or two to look around and get a feel for the place as a possible relocation area.

I like vegetarian food
specialty shops
New age
Arts
Historical sites
Walking/jogging
books

I've looked through a couple of guide books, but I like to know what the locals think
The Riverwalk is about 16 miles long (or about to be), so there's a lot to see.

For vegetarian, try Green at the Pearl, wander around there, check out the Twig Bookstore, then walk up the Riverwalk Museum Reach. That stretch only follows the river for a little while, then goes along the golf course and eventually into Brackenridge Park. If you walk south from there, you head into downtown and eventually reach the horseshoe. That's a fun stretch as it includes a lot of art.

If you start downtown and head south on the Mission Reach, you'll pass through King William, along the backs of many stately historic homes (built late 1800s) and can stop at Blue Star Arts Complex where you can get a drink or food. Continue heading south and you eventually reach the Missions, but that's a long walk :-). You can cycle it too. As you make your way back, wander through Southtown or King William Cultural Arts District where you'll find a number of galleries.

Historic sites - the Missions, collectively, are a National Historic Park. Also Casa Navarro in town is small, but interesting. There's a fairly good walking tour of historic downtown SA that's easy and fun. Also in King William, there are a few historic mansions that are museums/open to the public.

I should know of some New Age shops, but for some reason not much is coming to mind except Nine Lives Books and that's a bit out of the way.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM

520 posts, read 781,553 times
Though you probably won't have time to explore them, check out the Greenway Trails for walking/jogging/biking.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
San Antonio is home to 5 of the Top 10 most popular tourist attractions in Texas.

The OP and thread title listed #1 and #2.

Paka caught #3, with the Missions.

#4 and #5 are Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. If those aren't your cup of tea, you've gotten some great suggestions besides these above.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Just to add, since the OP will be here to decide if he/she wants to relocate here, the best way to get a feel for a place is to hang out amongst the locals. Avoid the tourist places. Depending on your interests, I can offer some more suggestions (the Pearl would fit well though).

Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post

I like vegetarian food
specialty shops
New age
Arts
Historical sites
Walking/jogging
books

I would recommend visiting before the summer especially since some of the things you might most be interested in happen before that.

Unlimited Thought Bookstore is our oldest New Age bookstore in town. Check out their calendar if you are interested in more than books.

Unlimited Thought

Celebration Circle meets twice a week at two different locations although their website is not working for me oddly.

http://celebrationcircle.org

The Starving Artist Show is this April 6th and 7th. They sell art pieces here.

Starving Artist Show La Villita San Antonio, Texas, April 6 and 7 2013

Our city hosts Luminaria, which is a huge art fiesta, that we just had earlier this month.

http://www.luminariasa.org/

The San Antonio Museum of Art and the McNay will have our best galleries. So as you can tell when it comes to art we have quite a mix.

San Antonio Museum of Art - Home

McNay Art Museum

The Steves Homestead and Villa Finale should be on your list to visit.

Edward Steves Homestead - San Antonio Conservation Society

Villa Finale

If you go to Villa Finale then be sure to read the article about King William ("The Snootiest Neighborhood in Texas") in the June 1986 issue of Texas Monthly on Google Books.

There are plenty of historical sites here, some little visited, so to check them all out be sure to search for those in Bexar Country especially by checking the "historical markers" dialog box.

THC - Historic Sites Atlas Home

Our city has invested heavily in a linear trail system. These trails are one of the better things to happen in town in the last decade especially since the benefit all sides of town unlike other projects which only benefit one or two sides.

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Parks & Recreation Department

We have all kinds of marathons if you want to step up your game.

Susan G. Komen For The Cure is on April 6.

Komen San Antonio Homepage

A big one is coming up this November.

» San Antonio | Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series

We love books so much that on April 13 we are closing down the street between the Central Library and the Southwest School of Art for a book fair!

Texas Book Festival - San Antonio Edition | San Antonio Library Foundation

If you have a chance to visit later pay special attention to the Southwest School of Art which used to be the Ursuline Academy with its earliest structure dating from 1851.

They are also closing down Broadway street on April 7th for Siclovia.

Siclovia Home Page - YMCA of Greater San Antonio

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
i am a local, i sure need to get out more.
i only been to the riverwalk.
never heard of segway tour, botanical garden, luminary, i need to get out more for sure. i have seen the big tower from a distance. never been in there. never been to witte either.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
One way to see it all and find out where things are is to ride the #7 bus. It's the Sightseer Special. It goes to all the non tourist, unknown places like Witte, Botanical Gardens, zoo, Brackenridge Park. That way you can find where things are and decide those places you want to go to and explore in more detail. Even locals could enjoy it.
I recommend it to anyone wanting to find the tourist and fun spots that are NOT the River walk.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i am a local, i sure need to get out more.
i only been to the riverwalk.
never heard of segway tour, botanical garden, luminary, i need to get out more for sure. i have seen the big tower from a distance. never been in there. never been to witte either.
Not to worry, there was a time in our lives when we were JUST LIKE YOU!!! It all changed when we moved to Hawaii and lived in Honolulu for 4 yrs and LEARNED to take the time to be a tourist!!! OMG!!!! you are AMAZED at the things people spend $$$$$ to come here and enjoy!!! And ALL at your fingertips!!!!

Time for YOU to play tourista!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio