Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Excuse me? I am not whining. I did say I was sucking it up, didn't I? And what am I supposed to do about my husband's education? It's not like I can control how many credits he keeps or loses if we move. To move before he is finished would be very stupid. I guess it's just easy to judge when you don't know someone's situation People like you make me love SA so much more
But you did have a choice of schools to begin with, right? If it's a UT school, you shouldn't lose credits to transfer to other UT schools. And if you can't move - then you can't move. End of story.

I totally agree with Paka though. If you can't change your situation, then make it work for you. I'd rather be happy if I was stuck somewhere than make it miserable the whole time I was there.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:58 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
But you did have a choice of schools to begin with, right? If it's a UT school, you shouldn't lose credits to transfer to other UT schools. And if you can't move - then you can't move. End of story.

I totally agree with Paka though. If you can't change your situation, then make it work for you. I'd rather be happy if I was stuck somewhere than make it miserable the whole time I was there.
Who said I wasn't making it work for me? I just mentioned it's not so easy to just pack a bag and leave, and that's all I said. Then I was accused of whining and not getting off my a**. BTW, I didn't choose the university for my husband to go to. I figure he's a big boy and can decide that on his own.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:11 PM

103 posts, read 269,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
It would seem that all types of comments in this forum, both positive and negative, would get old fast if you are a regular reader. But remember, the stated purpose of the City-Data forum is to provide information to people interested in relocation (and others interested in researching a city), not to serve as a regular affirmation for long-time residents. Therefore, the primary target audience for comments is newer readers.
I guess you and I are not reading the same posts. While there are some newcomers who don't find SA to their liking, there seem to be many more who are quite content. How you deem them "long-term" residents is beyond me. Anyhow, I guess every place needs its naysayers and you've appointed yourself as such. Carry on.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times
yikes- its getting ugly in here!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:31 PM

103 posts, read 269,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
After being a member for only two days, you are either a speed reader or have been lurking in this forum for some time.

Welcome TwoTxTwistr to the San Antonio Forum. Just be careful with using catch words like Yankee and phrases like "I still say that if you don't like it here, leave. Immediately!" and you'll get along fine.
Yep...longtime lurker and a few friends on this forum. I finally had to jump in and say something.

As a native Texan, I have NEVER used the word "yankee" and don't think I ever will.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
It would seem that all types of comments in this forum, both positive and negative, would get old fast if you are a regular reader. But remember, the stated purpose of the City-Data forum is to provide information to people interested in relocation (and others interested in researching a city), not to serve as a regular affirmation for long-time residents. Therefore, the primary target audience for comments is newer readers.
Initially, it seems that CD was targeting new residents or to provide regional information for people possibly relocating or even just traveling. I agree with Steel Man that the size and "target" has somewhat changed. There are many "local interest" topics that are discussed here for all residents now....not just "newer readers." I would think that would be a good thing...helping to be informed about progress and even lack there of around the city. I'm sure this is not a problem with "City Data". The title of this group pretty much sums up what goes on here. INFORMATION.

The suggestion that anyone comes here for 'affirmations' of "whatever" is rather silly. I agree that it doesn't serve that purpose. Not sure where that idea came from just because part of the population is content to live here.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Excuse me? I am not whining. I did say I was sucking it up, didn't I? And what am I supposed to do about my husband's education? It's not like I can control how many credits he keeps or loses if we move. To move before he is finished would be very stupid. I guess it's just easy to judge when you don't know someone's situation People like you make me love SA so much more
I'm sorry you took it personally, and I can see how it seems that way.

When I say "YOU" I mean an individual, not you in particular. I suppose a better way to put it would be the "each of us" have chosen to be here for SOME gain, SOME reason, SOME purpose. Yours is to support your DH in his education, but for you know how many people are here just whining, just bellyaching about how SA is just sooooooooo intolerable....but that is all they do, whine.

Sorry if I was not clear as I typed faster than my brain works...then went out for the day with a friend and just realized it was taken way to personal.

I'll buy you a beer (or nice glass of wine) to make it up to ya if you will forgive my writing it in such a direct manner when it was meant as a general statement.

Wanted to post this vs DM because I wanted you to understand I am sincere.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:01 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I'm sorry you took it personally, and I can see how it seems that way.

When I say "YOU" I mean an individual, not you in particular. I suppose a better way to put it would be the "each of us" have chosen to be here for SOME gain, SOME reason, SOME purpose. Yours is to support your DH in his education, but for you know how many people are here just whining, just bellyaching about how SA is just sooooooooo intolerable....but that is all they do, whine.

Sorry if I was not clear as I typed faster than my brain works...then went out for the day with a friend and just realized it was taken way to personal.

I'll buy you a beer (or nice glass of wine) to make it up to ya if you will forgive my writing it in such a direct manner when it was meant as a general statement.

Wanted to post this vs DM because I wanted you to understand I am sincere.
I'm sorry, too. There's no hug smiley

Old 10-19-2008, 06:24 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
There are LOTS of huggy smileys!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:56 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Quote:
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/hug002.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio