U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,789,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
Two ways around this problem;
1) Take responsibility for your vehicle, (don't loan your car to a jackass that can't drive or you can't trust)
2) STOP FOR RED LIGHTS!

It always kills me how people are mad because they GOT CAUGHT - doesn't matter if it's by a policeman or a camera IMO, you are still breaking the law. Yet you want people to get caught for stealing or murder, but it's ok for you to break the law.
I haven't gotten a ticket for running a red, and I don't get mad about people getting caught for doing it. But I do get mad about the city (or whoever) shortening the yellow light before it goes red. I saw what was nearly yet another rear end collision yesterday in Lynnwood at one of our famous red light cameras. The light went yellow and the two of us slammed on the brakes because the yellow is short now and the car behind the one next to me nearly slid into the one in front while trying to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,189,849 times
My sister-in-law recently got a ticket in the mail for running a red light at a camera intersection here in California, and she was asking my husband (her brother), a former police officer, what her options were for contesting the ticket. Her argument was that the roads were wet from a recent drizzle, and if she had slammed on her breaks, it would have probably been more dangerous because of the potential of skidding. My hubby, who has seen his share of people making bad choices and then trying to explain away the consequences, told her that if she's driving too fast to stop at a red light in the rain, then she is driving too fast in the rain. The speed limit is not a mandate that you have to drive at or above that speed. If it's raining and you have two little kids in your car, *slow down* when you see yellow!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM

287 posts, read 498,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
My sister-in-law recently got a ticket in the mail for running a red light at a camera intersection here in California, and she was asking my husband (her brother), a former police officer, what her options were for contesting the ticket. Her argument was that the roads were wet from a recent drizzle, and if she had slammed on her breaks, it would have probably been more dangerous because of the potential of skidding. My hubby, who has seen his share of people making bad choices and then trying to explain away the consequences, told her that if she's driving too fast to stop at a red light in the rain, then she is driving too fast in the rain. The speed limit is not a mandate that you have to drive at or above that speed. If it's raining and you have two little kids in your car, *slow down* when you see yellow!
Exactly - the speed limit is not a mandate on have fast you have to go, but is just the maximum speed allowed for that road. If you cannot stop for a red light - you ARE GOING TOO FAST for either the road conditions or your driving skills, or the vehicle you are driving (read big SUV's).

And as far as me comparing running a red light to murder, I do have a reason. In my senior year of high school, my best friend was killed by a guy running a red light. His excuse, he was late for work and tried to beat the light. Hey maybe my friend should have been more on the "look out" for the other guy but the other guy is the one running the red, not my friend.

So no I do not feel sorry for ANYONE getting a ticket from a red light camera PERIOD. SLOW DOWN!!! Not only is your life in your hands, but the lives people around you. Your opinion changes when you lose someone you love to something as stupid as a red light. The roads are for everyone and everyone should be able to feel safe on them.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 10,115 times
Yes all over Balcones Heights! I just got a ticket last week because the damned YELLOW lights change very quickly to red at Fredericksburg and Crossroads Mall (right by the Whataburger... $75 down the drain. I hate those cameras!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,351,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa1972 View Post
Yes all over Balcones Heights! I just got a ticket last week because the damned YELLOW lights change very quickly to red at Fredericksburg and Crossroads Mall (right by the Whataburger... $75 down the drain. I hate those cameras!
A couple of weeks before Christmas I stopped at a business on Fred. Rd which is rare. As I was drivivng to Loop 410 I entered an intersection on a Green Light (probably at it's last seconds of operation) and then the light turned yellow. I was already in the intersection and due to the weather (heavy drizzle) I did not even attempt to stop. (slam on my brakes) I was not speeding since I knew where I was at and the fact that the cameras are present.

Anyway as I exited the intersection and was out of it a ways I saw a flash in my mirror. That told me the camera went off. I cannot say if I had any other cars along side of me that actually ran the red light.

Since that time I dread looking through the mail. I'm probably worried about something that I shouldn't be. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the ticket in the mail? I read on another website that it can take up to 2 months (that must be a nationwide average). Evidently a Trained Individual has to "closely examine" the photo's before a ticket can be issued.

Do you all know if folks have had any luck fighting /disputing a ticket in Balcones Heights? I'm 49 and have been driving since I was 16 and I have never had a ticket for running a red light. I do know however there is always a first. I think I read on their webpage that a ticket for this offense is $200.00 ??? But knowing me as I do I was probably scared out of my Wrangler's and couldn't see straight.

By telling my story I probably just jinxed myself.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times
I have been informed that within the San Antonio city limits, the cameras mounted on top of traffic signals are not capable of taking pictures for light violations. They are used by the Traffic Control center to monitor traffic flow. This is within the San Anotnio city limits, I am not speaking of other places such as Balcones Heights.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM

340 posts, read 549,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
One aspect of red light cameras is that, while decreasing collisions from running red lights, the amount of rear end accidents at these intersections is huge.
I'd like to see the source that you are citing. About a year before you posted this, a TXDOT study was published and I posted it in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Not the TxDOT study published this month regarding cameras in Houston.

Right-angle crashes were reduced by 43% percent; rear-end collisions increased by 5%. There seemed to be a reduction in crashes in that case (can't speak for all cities, though).
A 43% decrease is huge...not the measily 5% increase

Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 PM

37,690 posts, read 55,360,122 times
Sorry I cannot copy/paste the info

Red Light Cameras & Speed Cameras - Database of Intersections, Fines, Maps here is a list of red light and other cameras

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,771,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I have been informed that within the San Antonio city limits, the cameras mounted on top of traffic signals are not capable of taking pictures for light violations. They are used by the Traffic Control center to monitor traffic flow. This is within the San Anotnio city limits, I am not speaking of other places such as Balcones Heights.
Most of the cameras seen on top of traffic signals here are replacements for the old inductive loop sensors that were embedded in the pavement. They use "machine vision" technology to detect the presence of vehicles and change the lights accordingly. This is what these cameras look like:

The red-light cameras in Balcones Heights are along the side of the street and look like this:

Older red light cameras typically looked like this:

I have a whole page on my website that discusses the various types of traffic signal cameras; DM me for the link.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,190 times
Default Cameras are part of Homeland security operation

Despite what people say the cameras can be used to catch suspects. They are fitted out in the the downtown area, not to catch speeders but to catch criminal activity. The thousands of dollars spent on this cameras are secretly (not any more) are set up to activate for "spying operations." This is the real reason despite the fact that they can monitor traffic they are also used for spy purposes in some cities. It is not a very well kept secret as city employees have leeked this info out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio