U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:10 PM

816 posts, read 1,474,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
*eyeroll* you are REALLY asking that question? *chuckle*
Yes.

I currently live in one of those areas, and have neighbors that are doctors, lawyers, judges, architects, teachers, retirees, etc. All of us could move to a different zip code, but we CHOSE our neighborhood because of other things besides the "sketchy" apartment complex down the road.

Our neighborhood's SAFFE officer regularly tells us about how "there isn't anything really to report". Perfect neighborhood? Of course not. But I much prefer it to the "wealthier" areas in which I used to live. The wealth of zip codes are a very, very poor way to measure the "badness" of a particular area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,742,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeofsa View Post
The poorest zip codes in SA are: [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]78201, 78207, 78210, 78211, 78221, 78223, 78227, 78228, 78237, and 78242
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
It would be helpful to others if you would include a link reference your post.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,492,225 times
We used to live in Leon Valley right next to Ingram park Mall.(mid 1990's)
We lived in Very nice 4/2 home.
Drove there few weeks ago just to see the old house...
I WAS SHOCKED!!!!!
Whole neighborhood looks like a rats nest compared to when we used to live there.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM

56 posts, read 56,833 times
I had to put my comment on the board even though this is an old post. I live just past Windcrest - on the "good" side and I noticed many people mentioning the Camelots and Glen areas as being bad and I have to concur with those posts. My small subdivision is small and is very nice, people are neighborbly, I like living here. However, after shopping at the HEB and Walgreens on Walzem/Montgomery several times after we moved, I've decided to no longer ever go to Walzem road unless I absolutely have to, especially at night. Normally, I would go to HEB during the daytime (that's normally when the old biddies from Windcrest are shopping, when the low lifes are still in bed). Twice, I've been to that HEB at night (like around 8 or 9) and OMG what a difference night and day makes - not to mention the security and police surveillance heightens during the evening hours. Once, I was with my dad and we almost saw a fight break out in the parking lot (a group of early 20 somethings were being rude to an older women) and then when we left somehow had hit a homeless man crossing the street. Inside, you'll find LOUD bad language, even by kids, scantily clad women in stripper heels, or Bertha in her curlers, pajamas, and slippers. And everyone walks done the middle of the aisle and when I would say excuse me and try to get by, I get these glares like, "Hey, you wait 'til I'm ready to move out tha way, white girl". Yeah, never again - I don't even shop there during the day anymore - I take the 5 extra minutes to drive up to O'Connor now. Also, my cousin had bought a house in Camelot I to renovate........he regrets that mistake and moved out ASAP, especially since he had a baby at the time.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM

172 posts, read 284,809 times
What about the Marbach area outside of Loop 410 like Horal Dr? Thinking of buying out there? Investment or Mistake? Is that area (right outside of Loop 410, away from John Jay) safer than say Austin Highway/Perrin Beitel?
Anyone having direct experience living in that area of 78227 and what to avoid?

I am thankful that the City has passed strict Sexually Oriented Business Ordinance, because those do bring problems to neighborhoods, and there is a string of them along Perrin Beitel and the 410 area.

I am not wanting high drug, high violent crimes, or promiscuous havens which cater to that element. It needs to be on a bus line. Anyone have direct experience living in that area of 78227?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 PM

172 posts, read 284,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
It would be helpful to others if you would include a link reference your post.
Re:NativeofSA's post of poorest zip codes: 78201
If I sold commercial real estate I would make a killing because 78201 is part of the Deco district.
And with that new Via Primo line, I could bring customers in like flies.

Last edited by LongLiveCassettes; 09-23-2013 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Made the reply clearer

Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,341,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveCassettes View Post
What about the Marbach area outside of Loop 410 like Horal Dr? Thinking of buying out there? Investment or Mistake? Is that area (right outside of Loop 410, away from John Jay) safer than say Austin Highway/Perrin Beitel?
Anyone having direct experience living in that area of 78227 and what to avoid?

I am thankful that the City has passed strict Sexually Oriented Business Ordinance, because those do bring problems to neighborhoods, and there is a string of them along Perrin Beitel and the 410 area.

I am not wanting high drug, high violent crimes, or promiscuous havens which cater to that element. It needs to be on a bus line. Anyone have direct experience living in that area of 78227?
I grew up in the 78226 area when Kelly was still open (parents bought in 1956 and at that time it was 100% active duty military, or those that worked civil service at Kelly AFB) and think that while the zip code has seen serious decline, a LOT of it remains older, retired folks vs problems. I only speak from the friends that we know that raised their families there in the 70/80's and really have NO recent experience in that area....but we still visit with older family friends there from time to time....hope this helps!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM

77 posts, read 85,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Yes.

I currently live in one of those areas, and have neighbors that are doctors, lawyers, judges, architects, teachers, retirees, etc. All of us could move to a different zip code, but we CHOSE our neighborhood because of other things besides the "sketchy" apartment complex down the road.

Our neighborhood's SAFFE officer regularly tells us about how "there isn't anything really to report". Perfect neighborhood? Of course not. But I much prefer it to the "wealthier" areas in which I used to live. The wealth of zip codes are a very, very poor way to measure the "badness" of a particular area.
Where exactly do you live if you dont mind me asking? My husband and I are planning to move to SA soon with our 3 children and need some insight. I dont mind a not so glamorous looking area as long as its primarily safe. I know every area has its crime but dont want it in my front or back yard. I consider a bad neighborhood where you walk outside and see drug dealers in plain view or wouldn't walk your dog after 9pm in fear of being mugged or beaten for the fun of it, run down apartments and low income would not deter me.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
In my opinion the east side has a huge problem with crime ranging from the inner east side near the Alamodome and the deep east side near Sam Houston High School. I also think the Northeast side has had a lot of problems with crime especially in the notorious Sunrise neighborhood along with Camelot II and the infamous Glen. The upper Northeast side is also getting a bit of a reputation especially some of the neighborhoods feeding into James Madison and some that feed into Mac Arthur.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:49 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
I walked into the H.E.B. on Blanco and West Ave last weekend and found that to be totally Ghetto. I hadn't been in that area in quite a while. I'm guessing most of the apartments in that area are section 8 housing. I remember back in the late 80's, that was a primo side of town!
That part of town (Blanco & West Ave. up to Churchill HS) went downhill after Hurricane Katrina when a certain apartment management company decided to accept FEMA vouchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or