U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM

4,025 posts, read 4,553,946 times

Advertisements

Oh, I dunno....some aspects are MUCH nicer now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:14 PM

674 posts, read 666,124 times
I walked into the H.E.B. on Blanco and West Ave last weekend and found that to be totally Ghetto. I hadn't been in that area in quite a while. I'm guessing most of the apartments in that area are section 8 housing. I remember back in the late 80's, that was a primo side of town!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:51 PM

5,876 posts, read 6,674,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
I walked into the H.E.B. on Blanco and West Ave last weekend and found that to be totally Ghetto. I hadn't been in that area in quite a while. I'm guessing most of the apartments in that area are section 8 housing. I remember back in the late 80's, that was a primo side of town!
That area's been ghetto since at least the late 90's, I lived in some of the apartments there (none of them were section 8 at the time, I don't know about now) and we moved out of the area by 2000 because it was just too ghetto.

I think anywhere with such a high concentration of apartment complexes gets ghetto eventually. Not because of the apartment dwellers themselves, but the way that complexes just aren't well maintained and eventually nobody decent wants to live there.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 PM

706 posts, read 753,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
It was a complete C-Pool or S-Hole (your choice). I'm quite sure it hasn't changed much since I left.
No, it hasn’t and it probably won’t because of business as usual for SA.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,877,937 times
I had a friend visit and drove him around to all parts of town so he could see the city and what its like, since he is from a town of around 40,000 people.

His comment was now he knows what it's like in Bangladesh.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,411 times
Great. Just moved right off of Valley Hi. I didn't get a house hunting trip when my company offered me a job here. It was either a layoff at the other location or move to San Antonio. I was given just under 3 weeks to get here with no corporate help. I'm pretty angry that between 2 real estate agents, they didn't have the decency to inform me over the phone that this isn't the neighborhood they would recommend for a single (and yes, I'll say it, white) woman. I only saw pics of the house for rent online and the place looked and is like new. I guess I have no recourse since I'm locked into the lease for a year. I'm now paying over a grand a month to live in fear. At least I have a gun.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:21 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,407,985 times
The places I would least like to live are the Valley Hi area, and on the northeast in the Camelot area. There always seems to be seedy, shady characters around, and not much good happening.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 PM

5,876 posts, read 6,674,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noclue View Post
Great. Just moved right off of Valley Hi. I didn't get a house hunting trip when my company offered me a job here. It was either a layoff at the other location or move to San Antonio. I was given just under 3 weeks to get here with no corporate help. I'm pretty angry that between 2 real estate agents, they didn't have the decency to inform me over the phone that this isn't the neighborhood they would recommend for a single (and yes, I'll say it, white) woman. I only saw pics of the house for rent online and the place looked and is like new. I guess I have no recourse since I'm locked into the lease for a year. I'm now paying over a grand a month to live in fear. At least I have a gun.
I don't think realtors can give you info about the demographics of an area or suggest that you won't fit in because of race. You've got to research that on your own.

Sending you a DM about grocery stores/etc. in the area.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,411 times
Got your note, and thank you!

I mean't that if a real estate agent would have told me about crime, I would have appreciated it. Sorry if I misled.

NC

Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $89,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,649 posts, read 21,658,691 times
Good and Bad Areas Of SA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio