Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:14 PM

283 posts, read 1,835,740 times

Advertisements

Every place has their good and bad sides of town.

What are your thoughts on where the bad side of SA is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I don't think there is a "bad" part of SA. There is crime all over the city. The East seems to have a concentration of gang activity right now. Last year it was in the northwest side of town. The police have gang units and they change thier operationg area on occasion depending on the need.
I remember an incident last year of a man being carjacked at his home in a gated community in Stone Oak. ( The thieves had spotted his expensive custom wheels and wanted them.)
The gangs seem to be the real problem in SA...and it changes where the gang activity is from time to time. Or the news coverage of the gang activity.
I've lived here 20 plus years and never really seen a "bad" side of town. Crime is every where. It just moves from place to place.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,486 times
Moderator cut: personal

As for the "bad" areas of SA, I guess the south side, west side of 410, and east side. I guess this depends how you define bad. Crime? Lower income housing? Schools?

Because Alamo Heights has a higher than expected crime rate and inexpensive housing, so even it could be classified "bad". All depends on the factors.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:34 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
I'm a bit wary of any areas that have excessive homeless populations. For instance, parts of Beacon Hill and Monticello Park I would definately consider "bad" in this respect (I lived in Monticello for several years. And yeah, I was glad to get out, a depressing area that will, unfortunately, IMO, be in "transition" for many many years to come). As well, I wouldn't walk around the East Side too readily (although I have toured those cool old graveyards, albeit with a large group). I guess what I'd consider a "bad" area is one I wouldn't personally feel safe walking through (and there's quite a few of those).

Old 02-16-2007, 04:42 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
I'm sorry but that made no sense at all. First of all, define inexpensive... the average home in Alamo Heights in 2006 cost $438,096 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/realestate/stories/MYSA011007.investments.EN.27d6e365.html) (broken link). Second, Alamo Heights has a virtually nonexistant crime rate compared to most of the cities in Texas.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_08_tx.html (broken link)

Alamo Heights reported crime in 2005:

Population: 7,427
Violent Crime: 3
Nonnegligent Manslaughter: 0
Forcible Rape: 0
Robbery: 1
Aggravated Assault: 2
Property Crime: 272
Burglary: 26
Larceny-theft: 240

----- Be careful where you walk at night in Alamo Heights... outrageous numbers - NOT!

Moderator cut: personal

Old 02-16-2007, 05:28 PM

351 posts, read 1,584,540 times
ShaneSA

What did you mean about the NW side of town last year, I really want to know where this comes from. Lived around Wurzbach, IH-10 area since the 70's and have not seen too much gang activity. I really want to know because I have been out of the country since '05 and have not kept up. Was your reason because of that isolated incident in Stone Oak? Or have there been a lot of other attacks? Graffitti, gang fights, shootings. My parents have not mentioned anything and I think they would be amazed that there little burb was being labled the "Bad" side of town.
Not being accusitory, just want to know because I have been out of the loop.
Growing up, the "Bad" side was the East side by downtown, & the far West side. I only knew this from my Dad who worked for ADT back in the day and used to go on calls and he told me about where the majority of break ins were.
thanks,

crazedchef

Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 PM

34 posts, read 197,810 times
Working EMS in various areas of the county I have come to the conclusion that the East side (mainly The Glen, Camelot and Windsor Oaks at Walzem) have a high rate or crime and violence. We noticed an increase in crime especially at Windsor Oaks. Difference? A large amount of low income, densely populated town homes. It became home to a large evacuee population. Just my 2 cents...

Old 02-16-2007, 10:16 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I don't know why my post was deleted, but I will put back what I wrote:

I can't believe San Antonio doesn't have a bad area of town. Most cities have a bad area of town that you really don't want to go into.
How about the East side..that is a terrible part of town

Old 02-17-2007, 01:04 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
How about the East side..that is a terrible part of town
Is it really? Or is that the perception because it’s a older black low income section of the city?

Trust me, living in the Highland Hills area of the city and almost on a weekly basis going to Fort Sam Houston (my father was in the army then was discharged and then began to work as a fire fighter for FSH) to shop at the PX or go to the commissary.

We'd drive Walters St. all the way from the Highland Hills area to FSH. That's the heart of the east side. Driving past St. Philips, Antioch Baptist Church, etc. As a kid we drove through there and never once were I scared.

Then I got older and was able to drive and had access to the post (FSH) so I'd go, drive through the East side. Never once felt scared or locked my door at a stop light, etc. You'd see people waiting at boss stops or walking to the corner store.

What I'm saying is, its perception.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:58 AM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
We'd drive Walters St. all the way from the Highland Hills area to FSH. That's the heart of the east side. Driving past St. Philips, Antioch Baptist Church, etc. As a kid we drove through there and never once were I scared.

Then I got older and was able to drive and had access to the post (FSH) so I'd go, drive through the East side. Never once felt scared or locked my door at a stop light, etc. You'd see people waiting at boss stops or walking to the corner store.

What I'm saying is, its perception.
Exactly, you'd DRIVE. Try walking next time...BIG difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio