U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,189,849 times

Advertisements

I've searched all over the web and this forum, high and low and everywhere in between, but can't seem to find the information I'm looking for. Does anyone know what an average salary might be for a high school teacher at one of the Catholic high schools in S.A.? And what about benefits- are those covered at all by the diocese? And finally, do faculty members get reduced (or free???) tuition for their children to attend the parochial schools? Hopefully someone can help us out here....I've checked the archdiocese website and the site devoted to the Catholic schools dept. I've searched this forum, and I've also done a google search. How can this info be so hard to find? Hopefully someone here can chime in. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 01:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,303,121 times
at central about 14 years ago i know of a few teachers whose kids went on a very highly reduced tuition. the faculty also hovered around $35K to start and about 40 with a few years under their belt. alot of their non brotherhood instructors were paid very little and also had little experience, but were CC alumni and knew how the curriculum worked.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 AM

284 posts, read 940,813 times
Employees of Incarnate Word High School, St. Anthony High School, and UIW receive tution benefits for both high schools and the University. Employees of these schools also receive fifty percent off the tuition at St. Peter Prince of the Apostles and St. Anthony Elementary. Tuition at the high schools is 75 percent off for employees. DM me for more details.

I don't know what the salaries are like, but I have heard that they are lower than public school teacher salaries.

Health coverage is not through the diocese for IWHS, SAHS, and UIW. There is group coverage and it is a small group, so it is pricey. I don't know about retirement benefits at the two high schools.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM

872 posts, read 2,599,530 times
I don't know anyone who teaches at a Catholic high school here. I do know 2 people who taught at a Catholic K-8 school. One had 3 years experience and the other had 5 years; both made less than 30K a year. This was not a long time ago - they both last taught at a Catholic school in the 2006-2007 school year. I'm not sure if it varies per school or if there is an archdiocese standard. I can only say that moving to a public school, they each made about 18K more per year. (Not bashing Catholic schools - I taught at one before I moved here and I would teach at one here in a heartbeat if it was similar to the one I was at previously and if the salary was even within 10K of what I'm making now.)

Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,189,849 times
Thanks so much for the responses. I'm pretty sure the pay would vary from school to school, and probably from grade to grade, because the tuition varies from school to school. I think that would figure. Also, it seems that if there was a standard (wish there was!) they would post it on the diocese website, right? And I wouldn't call telling the facts "bashing" at all. No worries! I'm just trying to do a little digging for my hubby....

Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 13,847 times
I know of one Catholic school on the south side that is paying $20,000 for the current school year. I am looking for a teaching position and found out about this one through the alternative certification program I have recently completed. I don't understand how a school can expect someone to be able to live on that kind of salary. It's insulting !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or