U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM

545 posts, read 2,086,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoceramic View Post
What are reputable alternative certification companies here in San Antonio for secondary Math?
Region XX has an alternative certification program, but hurry...the deadline to apply is tomorrow (May 9):

Alternative Teacher Certification (TOPP)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM

111 posts, read 675,688 times
My opinion is to go through: Texas Teachers | Alternative Teacher Certification Program - Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Texas

After speaking to a lot of my friends and family that are in teaching, this is the way to go. Now this is just from what I have heard; going to the regions can get complicated. I just signed up with Texas Teachers 1 month ago and love it - on your own schedule too!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM

111 posts, read 675,688 times
Also, the need for Special Education Teachers is huge. That is what I am going into, but you have to have a special place in your heart for special needs children. Also a lot of patience :}

Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 PM

12 posts, read 27,822 times
Default Any help...

Hey all,

My wife and I just relocated to San Antonio mid July. My wife applied to many of the school districts in San Antonio and the surrounding areas in March of this year. She has her bachelors in Elementary Education with a minor in Psychology. She has been calling schools and trying everything she can to get hired on, but hasn't had anyone call her about an interview or anything. We were in Montana when the job fairs were going on so she wasn't able to make it. I was wondering if there is any advice out there for me to give her. She left a guaranteed teaching job in Montana. She was a 5th grade teacher and a 6th grade teacher in Montana. So she has experience and is currently pursuing her Master's Degree.

My cousin is a teacher in Fort Worth and told us that it is best if she knew someone in the district to get her name out there, but being she doesn't it gives us a dead end. I am military and that is our reason for moving here. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
</div></div>

Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,414,643 times
She's not doing anything "wrong"...see the comments in another thread here: Question for job searching SA teachers...

Many elementary schools just reopened from their summer break...

Make sure that she has all of her paperwork in order with HR, and stop by the schools right now.

Also, some schools even need to open new classrooms after school begins, there is hope

Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM

14 posts, read 77,512 times
I, too, relocated here this summer and am having a horrible time trying to find an elementary teaching position. I was lucky enough to be called for 3 interviews....but no job.

I wonder if subbing is going to help me get a permanent job, especially when I can make more money doing something other than subbing. I'd have to sub AND work a part time job just to make ends meet and then find work next summer. I'm single, and therefore don't have the income of a spouse to rely on.

It's VERY frustrating!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,348 times
Default Just a response..

"1. The larger and more "famous" school districts (NISD, NEISD, Judson) are more reluctant to hire alt cert teachers who have not done an internship unless you are Special Ed or bilingual. Even in this case, these districts would rather not hire an alt cert individual if they can help it."

This isn't true in what I found. I went to one job fair as an alt. cert. teacher, and immediately got an interview with NEISD. Within two days I had a phone call from the principal at Churchill HS, and at the end of the interview he offered me the job. I know math teachers this tends to be the case, but I am also working with an English teacher who went through the same process. Since Churchill is such a HUGE school for North East, I'd say maybe they are quite open to hiring Alt Cert teachers. I mean, they are open to it.

"2. As an alt cert teacher looking for an internship, be willing to take a job in the outlying areas (Seguin, Jourdanton, Somerset) so you can get the experience if you really want to work in the "famous" school districts. The districts in outlying areas seem to be much more willing to hire alt cert folks for whatever reason. "

This DOES tend to be the case though. I was in the Region 20 TOPP program, and a lot of the people in the program with me wound up at the outlying area schools. But I will say..they LOVE their jobs!!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 PM

[quote=subistats;5317222
This isn't true in what I found. I went to one job fair as an alt. cert. teacher, and immediately got an interview with NEISD. Within two days I had a phone call from the principal at Churchill HS, and at the end of the interview he offered me the job. [/QUOTE]

But, did they hire you for an internship, or as a fully certified teacher?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:24 PM

64 posts, read 255,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
But, did they hire you for an internship, or as a fully certified teacher?
They had to have been hired as an Intern (paid at full teacher pay). That is the only way to become fully certified.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Newbie View Post
They had to have been hired as an Intern (paid at full teacher pay). That is the only way to become fully certified.
I know that, but their post made it sound as if they were doing their internship in NEISD. When people say that they are alt-cert, it is not clear as to whether they mean that they are on the road to certification, or that that's how they obtained their certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio