U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 AM

40 posts, read 122,665 times

Advertisements

So, I'm finally getting settled into my new house. I love the neighborhood but I'm dying to find someplace locally that isnt a restaurant that my boyfriend and I can just go to and have a drink or two without having to drive to our usual places near SAC. I miss having a neighborhood bar.

We are not afraid of a good dive bar either. Just someplace with decently priced drinks or a coffee shop opened late that we can go to.

I'm right near Zarzamora and W Kings. Someplace walking distance a plus but not always required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 02:20 PM

37 posts, read 404,460 times
Great area! I lived off of Vollum/Mulberry and San Antonio/W Kings Hwy for some time. The Koffee Kup is close (1025 Donaldson). It's a nice quiet coffeeshop perfect for crosswords and easily accessed by bike. I don't think it's a late-night type of spot though.
An amazing local dive, the Fountain Room Cocktail Lounge, is a short drive away at the intersection of Woodlawn and Bandera, tucked in the back of the shopping center next to the US Post Office.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:23 PM

130 posts, read 495,583 times
I live off of Rosemont and Wilson, and I was going to mention the Koffee Kup too. I used to go there in HS, back in 03, and it was pretty good. Haven't been back since though.

The Fountain Room? Everytime I go to that post office I wonder what it's like in there. I always imagined it was full of post men. lol

Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM

80 posts, read 358,667 times
I also live in the area and used to frequent Koffee Kup before it closed.
I have heard it re-opened under new ownership, but have yet to try it.
We have also not been able to find a good close/safe local dive aside from drive to the Dave and Busters at 410 and also a couple of small bars on Callaghan and 410.
I'll def give the Fountain Room a chance, but if you all hear of or find anything else please drop it here.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 PM

37 posts, read 404,460 times
I believe it's a favorite after-work hang out for postal workers. Cheap Drinks. Very relaxed atmosphere. I was checking more bars in the 78201 zip code and came up with an intriguing selection: Pretty Nice Saloon (1026 Cincinnati Ave). I'm a huge fan of hole in the wall gems.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:37 PM

40 posts, read 122,665 times
man, i remember going past the Fountain Room when we'd go to that post office as a kid (I grew up off Bandera and Hillcrest). Will check it out. Also adding Pretty Nice Saloon. And thanks for the coffee shop recomendation too. Will check it out as we always need a place for mornings when he is off work

Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM

103 posts, read 242,421 times
The Old Tin Barn on N. Colorado is not very far from you. This might be an option for a place to have a nice, cold one and just kick back.

old tin barn in san antonio tx - Google Maps

Old 10-26-2008, 04:56 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,990,685 times
I can't really think of any place except the Koffee Cup, the Cove is down Fred Rd a few miles, and MK Davis down S. Flores off Fred, not to mention The Green (Vegan place), Jacala on W.Ave. This area needs a little coffee and sandwich shop on Fred. By the way, the Monticello Home Tour is on Nov 9th (tickets can be had at the Monticello Park on the day of the tour for $10 or $15... it is always interesting to see the inside of the homes and get to know who your neighbors are.) I wish someone would buy that old historic building across from the Woodlawn and turn it into an art gallery/coffee house/soup/sandwiches/bakery but it would take alot of money to restore that old building but it is beautiful and the exposed brick inside would be perfect for an art gallery. Maybe someone could get a grant for restoration and do something with it. It has alot of character.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM

80 posts, read 358,667 times
There's a cool little coffee shop/music academy named IAMA (International Academy of Music) that opened up on Babcock near the intersection with Fredericksburg. It's behind the Original Donut Shop.
Nice little hang out spot for the Deco District.
They're at 131 Babcock Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio