U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 AM

130 posts, read 95,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Luckily we haven't seen any cay-otes in our area. Lots and lots of stray dogs recently tho.
Cayotes are protected., so when you call the city.. do they send someone out to set traps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:31 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,311,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smis View Post
Cayotes are protected., so when you call the city.. do they send someone out to set traps?
Protected??
In my county (not Bexar) they used to have a bounty on coyotes. dead or alive.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You would think that with the recent Rabies findings in SA (some guy got bitten or scratched by a kitten that tested Rabid) you would think that the local law enforcement would be there quickly to take care of the problem.

I am going to send you a DM on how I think you might be able to "solve" this issue.

Call your local garden center and find out what they have in stock for coyote repellent.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 AM

yah.., can you believe it.., spray away your troubles!

Trapping or killing is purpoted to be the solution.., but these darn things breed like bunnies!

If you cut off their food supply (pets) they will move on to more prosperous areas.., but then that just becomes someone elses problem.. ahh.., now that is the American Way.., NIMBY!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 10,547 times
I deliver San Antonio Express News and at 3:00,4:00AM I seen Coyote in and about Jung Road and Blaircrest. He ( I say he im not sure) is tall, thin and very very wild looking. Tuesday I stopped my car to watch him on Jung Road as he walked accross like he owned it. He came out of Flowing Path, he stopped and looked at me then was gone. For the people in or around here you should keep your small pets in at night. This coyote is big.
I want to get a photo of them, but they move fast. I often see a young women walking her dog on this road late at night with another young women. Not sure why you would walk at this hour.
But just wanted to give a heads up to people. Do any of you have photos?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:32 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,696,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl in Texas View Post
I deliver San Antonio Express News and at 3:00,4:00AM I seen Coyote in and about Jung Road and Blaircrest. He ( I say he im not sure) is tall, thin and very very wild looking. Tuesday I stopped my car to watch him on Jung Road as he walked accross like he owned it. He came out of Flowing Path, he stopped and looked at me then was gone. For the people in or around here you should keep your small pets in at night. This coyote is big.
I want to get a photo of them, but they move fast. I often see a young women walking her dog on this road late at night with another young women. Not sure why you would walk at this hour.
But just wanted to give a heads up to people. Do any of you have photos?
What's the big deal? Coyotes are all over.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM

173 posts, read 539,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
Are coyotes very common here in SA?
Coyotes are in every community practically, including large cities like New York and Los Angeles. They are one of the most adaptable species known to man. Speaking from first hand knowledge, I live in Converse and we have packs of coyotes there and have had them for years.

Here are some references that talk about the urban coyote problem.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b929/pdf/b929.pdf

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/f...s_wscoyote.pdf

Folks could minimize the influx of coyotes by not letting their pets, particularly cats, roam. Reduce the food source and you can help reduce the coyote population.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the infor I'll be checking it out.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Wow this is great reading thanks so much. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Chickrae; 09-27-2009 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 PM

Now that sounded cool. Takes your breath away to see wildlife that you only see in books or TV in your own back yard.
In New Jersey I had Bear in my yard and that wasnt cool. The older women next door would put her trash out and he would be enjoying a meal each night. I sure dont miss that.
I also see a lot of fox here in San Antonio not red ones like back home, here you have the grey ones, cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio