Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:37 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times

Advertisements

That was real popular when we were looking about 12 years ago. Told more than one builder that putting them in the attic was THE most stupid idea I'd ever seen. Looks like Code Compliance finally figured that out, too.....

Honestly - how anyone with half a brain could have thought that was a good idea is beyond me. I can see it getting by the average homeowner - but NOT someone in construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
If you follow the gurus in the construction business, they highly recommend a water heater in the attic. It will be far cheaper to run as the heater during the summer will pick up heat from the attic. They also recommend A/C units in mechanical rooms in the attic too. The biggest issue, most builders will put them in attics but not provide a large enough service point to replace it. It requires a 36" stairwell and most won't design it into the garage or house. With our hard water, a water heater can gain several hundred pounds of lime and deposits. I wouldn't want to have to muscle one down a typical disappearing stairway. Some of the EFL homes out in Stone Oak have 2- 50 gallon water heaters and a 24" disappearing stairway. Sounds like a lot of fun.....to watch! FWIW, the water heaters were installed at the frame stage on the EFL Homes.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:05 PM

Guess I'm weighing the real costs of a catastrophic failure of the water heater in the attic, and the resulting water damage to the ceilings and walls against the few bucks saved by being in the attic.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:55 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Mine is in the garage and is gas powered. Never had a problem with it, but during my bathroom remodel one of the guys I was using suggested I go tankless (I have one story house with no attic) and I could use the space in the garage but I figured it was not worth the cost for such small space gained. In other words: If it is not broken, don't mess with it.

I wonder why some builders still place conventional heaters in the attic when you could just go tankless? I did a lot of research on them years ago and they seemed like an good alternative.

When I said earlier that I have no attic, I really don't except for small crawl space where the A/C ducts are routed. The rest of my ceiling *is* the roof.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 AM

The tankless units don't do real good in this area unless you have softened water - the hardness scales 'em up faster'n a cop can snag a donut!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
The tankless units don't do real good in this area unless you have softened water - the hardness scales 'em up faster'n a cop can snag a donut!
That makes sense. Glad I didn't do it then because I have no water softener.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
That makes sense. Glad I didn't do it then because I have no water softener.
Yeah - you wouldn't have liked the results....... My own experience with the tankless units has been less than stellar - I just can't recommend them to folks. Love the concept - but in practice, many have had issues, including on commercial applications.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Water heaters in attics by code are to be in a drain pan. If they leak it doesn't destroy the house. Same with any A/C unit upstairs or in the attic.

Having worked houses in litigation, I've seen H/Os that have water heaters in the garage area and the kitchen run for the hot water is over 80 feet. By the time the water gets to the kitchen it's no longer hot. Now that the Feds have restricted the max tank temp to 140F, in some cases there's no hot water even at 50 feet away. We were instructed to put tankless units inline. Absolutely NONE ever made hot water. Even installed under a kitchen sink we couldn't get 140F water for the dishwasher. Water of 140F is required to sanitize dishes. And this was water being reheated from the water heater. About the only thing we saw with these units is the electric meter spins real good when they are on. It was a lot of money spent for nothing. FWIW, most of the units are not rated by the temperature of the water they make but a temperature increase. If you have 70F water coming in and the unit rated at a 40F rise, you're only going to get 110F water. Now run it to the appliance and you probably won't get warm water. In my opinion and experience, tankless units are a joke.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 AM

Oh, I know they're supposed to be in a pan......but I've seen pans leak. Just not worth the risk, IMO - and as you noted earlier - taking them OUT of the attic can be a real challenge, as well. Unless you have a recirc pump, you just need to flush until the water is at an acceptable temperature.

And, yeah - the gubmint is gonna protect us all.....worked out well for the American Indian, didn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio