Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementius88 View Post
I think as far as street gangs go, parents are responsible. If you do not give your child a positive role model to look up to, well they will find their own role model. It probably will not be a positive one, rather one that fits more of a child's dreams; money, popularity, and power. These little bangers then grow up and get in trouble with the law. They are then introduced to society's poor excuse for rehabilitation during which they will probably join one of the larger and more dangerous criminal organizations. Please understand that when I speak lowly of the prison system, I am not referencing the fine men and women who work at the facility. I am referencing the broken system that is created and maintained by greedy politicians and society's need for a humane and "nice" punishment (cable tv and a workout room in jail?). A person who has committed a heinous crime has more amenities than a soldier deployed fighting for our country. Something really wrong with that. To sum up we need to first kill the source of the gangs by taking care of the children who are not being taken care of. Then help those who are already lost.
I actually just read that the majority of prisons in Texas aren't air conditioned.

But that is beside the point. I agree with you that the problem lies with parents/whomever is raising kids. However, so much of that lifestyle is handed down - it's an ingrained way of life for many people who live in poverty.

Better education, enforcement of truancy laws, constant vigilance in the neighborhoods by the police force, an enforcee curfew...these are things that might help gang problems.

Neither prison nor death are inhibitors for most kids - they don't believe it will happen to them. So threatening them with prison - even an un-air conditioned one - is no real threat.

Not to mention the fact that gangs are rife inside the prisons as well.

There is no easy fix but I do think the solution has to involve citizens, law enforcement and city government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 03:39 PM

39 posts, read 107,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you beat me to it Mister.. although I would have absolutely NO problem with them spending every penny on bullets and using them to take out everyone that even resembles a gang banger. The entire lifestyle (including the wannabe's) needs to be eliminated.
I think it would be better if the public took an active role in eliminating the problem and the police spent the money buying donuts and not seeing anything...
Im kind of set back by this statement. Its obviously easy for you to say this because you probably dont look anything like this. But i find doing a blanket association and just killing everyone for wearing a certain style of clothing, listening to a certain type of music, or living a certain way of life is retarded. I love when people judge based on appearance. And yes I do know that the first impression is critical but to just to go out and shoot everyone up with the newly funded 5.56 rounds that were purchased is the stupidest thing I have heard. Might as well take the freedoms away and have everyone wear white polos and khaki slacks to work, school, and everywhere else. How bout if I felt that every white guy was a redneck and and should be hung for being a racist. Would you like to just pull out of Iraq and bomb the ef outta the whole country and wipe them all out? I agree we should have pulled out a long time ago and lots of money has been wasted but bombing everyone is not the answer, and neither is killing everyone who wears or lives a certain type of lifestyle. I guess we just dont try to help people out anymore. Just say ef them and kill em. And they wonder why the world looks at us like they do. America is falling apart. And its not because of gangbangers, immigrants, or low lifes all though they dont help. But its the corruption at the top and how it trickles down to the everyday people who are retarded enough to consume it.

I think I will go put on my dickies now.....

Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ4512 View Post
I am convinced you are seriously delusional !!!! But then again maybe those cops would miss and you would be standing behind. Oops did I say that out loud haha. I respond to ridiculous posts with the same ridiculousness.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I was thinking of takeing them out myself, but I shurely cant do it by myself and I would more than likley get a death penalty. I hate all those low life scumbags thinking just because their daddys are addicts they have to be ruff, Instead of working their asses of at school to live a better life down the road. but unfortunately they settle for 10 year welfare and section 8 housing. thats why they keep popping out baby's thats their source of income, and that will turn into the same problem when the baby is older.

Because our dumb@** keeps letting them repeat the cycle. They have to know that a different life is possible for them to even think about changing. They have to know that good jobs isnt for just people who went Alamo Heights and Castle Hills. That even people from South San or Lanier can claim well paying jobs as well. But we would rather spend our funds else where like the pockets of corrupted. Give them inccentive to graduate, stay outta crime, or what not. They are surrounded by drugs, violence, and unemployment. How else would you expect them them to change? Its all they know. Just like all you know is working hard, paying bills, taxes, and staying outta jail.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I can certainly agree with the gang sub culture needing to be eliminated, however I notice that this funding appears to have been initiated due to the rise of international gangs in the area. I assume they are referring to to those with ties to the Mexican Mafia, M13, etc...

Some of these more 'organized' gangs arent your typical baggy pants red or blue run of the mill gang members. Many of them are associated with relatively powerful people or at least those in professional positions. I would think it takes alot of skill, labor, and money to eliminate them in their entirely especially if it threatens to expose certain people.
Wow. This post I made back in October was awesome! I wish I could rep myself.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,888 times
it is such a complicated issue with so many layers. I find myself in support of harsher punishments, but also believe simply building more prisons is not actually solving society's many problems. We do need more programs to help these kids when they are still very young...to teach them how to become contributing members of society. To show them what other alternatives are out there.

I worked at a juvenile detention center years ago and remember one girl in particular. She was maybe 12 years old and all of 80 pounds. But just hard as nails. I asked her what she thought she might want to do one day and she just thought the notion of having a job was crazy. Couldn't understand why she would or should work when she could just sit at home all day and collect her welfare checks. Argh! That still makes my blood boil even now.

What I fear most is society's lack of empathy for other people...from the gang banger who shoots into a crowd of people to the Bernie Madoffs who rob people of their life savings to the company that knowingly sold peanut butter tainted with salmonella. We're being conditioned to look out for my own, take what we want and screw everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio