U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,279,103 times

Advertisements

SAPD Gets $557,000 To Fight Gangs - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/17839621/detail.html - broken link)
What kind of impact do you think this money will actually have in preventing and combating area gang violence and crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 PM

259 posts, read 818,938 times
Very little, unless the cops use it to buy bullets.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times
you beat me to it Mister.. although I would have absolutely NO problem with them spending every penny on bullets and using them to take out everyone that even resembles a gang banger. The entire lifestyle (including the wannabe's) needs to be eliminated.
I think it would be better if the public took an active role in eliminating the problem and the police spent the money buying donuts and not seeing anything...

Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,147,671 times
Before I read the article at the link, my guess was that most of the money would go to pay overtime for the SAPD Gang Task Force. Sure enough, Chief McManus is quoted in the article saying "the majority of the funds will go toward overtime for police."

It'll help put cops on the streets, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 PM

I think I had read earlier that the Gang Task Force drains more OT funds than any other department so this extra boost in funds will hopefully make an impact.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 PM

778 posts, read 2,219,210 times
Perhaps the police will use the money to help us better understand the source of the gang members discontent. If only we could understand the bitter feelings they harbor toward society, we could do something to make a substantial change in their environment to make them feel more welcome and find less cause to lash out in such anti-social ways. Perhaps the money will be used to fund special art classes so they can learn to express themselves in more acceptable art mediums, and this would help reduce the tagging problem. Perhaps some of these funds will be used to buy them little uniforms with matching orange colors so they will all fit in.

Oh yes, and perhaps all of this can be done as they sit behind bars at the country jail, while a guy with a taser at the ready watches over them.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:07 PM

592 posts, read 1,831,926 times
They should use this money to put these gangs to work. Roads, Brush....ect ect

Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 PM

140 posts, read 446,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you beat me to it Mister.. although I would have absolutely NO problem with them spending every penny on bullets and using them to take out everyone that even resembles a gang banger. The entire lifestyle (including the wannabe's) needs to be eliminated.
I think it would be better if the public took an active role in eliminating the problem and the police spent the money buying donuts and not seeing anything...
I am convinced you are seriously delusional !!!! But then again maybe those cops would miss and you would be standing behind. Oops did I say that out loud haha. I respond to ridiculous posts with the same ridiculousness.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times
I read most of your other posts and feel much better knowing you think I'm delusional.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I can certainly agree with the gang sub culture needing to be eliminated, however I notice that this funding appears to have been initiated due to the rise of international gangs in the area. I assume they are referring to to those with ties to the Mexican Mafia, M13, etc...

Some of these more 'organized' gangs arent your typical baggy pants red or blue run of the mill gang members. Many of them are associated with relatively powerful people or at least those in professional positions. I would think it takes alot of skill, labor, and money to eliminate them in their entirely especially if it threatens to expose certain people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio