Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,253,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Great response. I have to preach that to my employees, that they are just yelling at the company, not you, ect. People are just so rude, employees and customers alike.
Having worked in some level of customer service since I was 16 years old, I have had to learn that the customers not upset AT ME personally, but rather something they feel was done to them by the company I represent, and since I represent that company it is my job to diffuse the situation and resolve it as quickly as possible. What has always worked for me is allowing the customer to vent while I silently work on the problem so once they calm down hopefully Ive already resolved the issue.

I wish people both service industry workers and customers (essentially we are all customers in some capacity) would remember to have regard for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,532,679 times
[quote=IonRedline08;5923226]Right. But, can they afford to not answer the phone and lose that business? What about that guy who called and doesnt have his call answered who then says "Screw X-Pizza Place, I'm gonna go to ______." I totally desire and respect great customer service. On same token, I know I am not the only customer out there.

I agree with this statement, however, the title to the thread is "Rude Take-Out Service". There are a lot of businesses that have wonderful customer service. A certain take-out barbeque place not to far from where I live has always been very pleasant to order from. I have had to wait on the phone when I have called but I understand that they are busy. When I go to pick up my order, they are alway friendly and courteous, even when they are very busy. Even adequate service, to me, is fine. What I don't like is when I am hung up on, given incorrect information, or spoke to with a lack of respect. Does this make my statement any clearer?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM

824 posts, read 1,808,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
So, I forget, is Florio's a sit-down silverware type place, would anyone say? Because lots of people complain about the rude service there.
First of all, this thread is regarding "Rude Take-Out Service". My awful experience at Florio's (which, for some reason, you simply cannot believe) was when we were in the "sit-down" part of the restaurant. Further, the owner wasn't talking on the phone while we were trying to pick-up or pay for our food (which is the subject of this thread) - she was yelling at children who were seated at a table.

So, you see, your comment, aside from being smarmy and inaccurate, is off-topic.

Second, I didn't "complain" about Florio's - in a thread asking about SA pizza joints, I told an accurate story involving terrible treatment by the owners of the place (see what it means to be topical?), and told people (who had asked for an opinion) I wouldn't go there again.

Can you perceive the difference now?

I think it's fascinating that you consider an employee being on the phone (i.e. doing their job) is somehow "blowing you off", and that you are somehow much more important than other customers. It requires a very self-centered, juvenile worldview to perceive something that way.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
And I will proceed to take my juvenile, self-centered, very green money elsewhere if I feel "slighted" while I'm trying to spend it. My prerogative, I believe, and I find it fascinating that you make such a distinction between rude service at a pizza joint and rude service at a pizza joint...which is how this thread started. Whether they're talking on the phone, texting, wiping their nose, whatever I perceive as "rude service" is what will send me packing.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM

824 posts, read 1,808,304 times
It's the definition of "rude" that we don't agree on. Let me break this down for you:

You think it's rude when an employee of a business has the audacity to answer the phone when it rings, and may expect you to wait for a brief moment. I do not.

I think it's rude when the owner of a business yells loudly at children, quietly seated with their parents, waiting to eat. You, appearantly, do not.

I didn't see that the OP (and you) were the recepient of egregious, rude behavior. You had to wait, for what sounds like a legtimate reason. What horrific, insulting treatment!

This thread has revealed that there are too many people who think they're entitled to be treated like royalty just because they spent $12 at a take-out restaurant, and it never occurs to them that the employees might not be able to immediately attend to their every need.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:09 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
they are gonna when they see my wallet headed out the door. We can agree to disagree. I'm high maintenance, as you said.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,304,433 times
Well..it bother's the heck out of me. A quick answer to put the person on hold is not a problem. It's when they stop in "mid sale" (which might take less than 1 minute), and run to the back, or start asking the manager questions concerning the person on the phone etc and they leave you standing there while your order gets cold or not even placed. It's sort of like cutting in line. The person on the phone doesn't know how busy they are...correct. So it's up to the employe to ask them to politely wait for a moment....or if the restaurant is truly swamped, to call a bit later. If this is a common problem, then the manager/owner needs to hire someone just for phone orders. It all depends on the type of business....restaurants, retail etc....

On the flip side, it bothers me to have them answer the phone and then be put on hold for 20 minutes. Again...just a little courtesy from the employee explaining that they may be extra busy would go a long way. If I knew that, I'd call later or somewhere else. These businesses can't have it all. They should focus on where the money is...and that is keeping the customer happy with a little respect. Making a customer wait in the store, as well as on the phone is bad customer service.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,532,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Well..it bother's the heck out of me. A quick answer to put the person on hold is not a problem. It's when they stop in "mid sale" (which might take less than 1 minute), and run to the back, or start asking the manager questions concerning the person on the phone etc and they leave you standing there while your order gets cold or not even placed. It's sort of like cutting in line. The person on the phone doesn't know how busy they are...correct. So it's up to the employe to ask them to politely wait for a moment....or if the restaurant is truly swamped, to call a bit later. If this is a common problem, then the manager/owner needs to hire someone just for phone orders. It all depends on the type of business....restaurants, retail etc....

On the flip side, it bothers me to have them answer the phone and then be put on hold for 20 minutes. Again...just a little courtesy from the employee explaining that they may be extra busy would go a long way. If I knew that, I'd call later or somewhere else. These businesses can't have it all. They should focus on where the money is...and that is keeping the customer happy with a little respect. Making a customer wait in the store, as well as on the phone is bad customer service.
I'd rep ya if I could!!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
I went to taco cabana today and some lady in front of me started yelling at the cashier and saying something about being racist because she wasn't given enough cheese on her taco. First, who puts cheese on their tacos and why would that be racist?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,253,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I went to taco cabana today and some lady in front of me started yelling at the cashier and saying something about being racist because she wasn't given enough cheese on her taco. First, who puts cheese on their tacos and why would that be racist?
I put cheese on my tacos but I am not racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio