U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:15 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,358,843 times

Advertisements

ok, you won't have any problem at all living in SA with that amount of monthly income. Being retired, you'll probably enjoy it more since you won't have to deal with traffic as much.
BTW, I personally would've picked Vermont because I love the cold weather. It is two huge extremes between Vermont and Texas when it comes to weather. For instance, it is currently 62F here at a little after 4:00 AM and Vermont won't even dream of getting that warm until probably late spring of next year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 04:22 AM

7 posts, read 10,120 times
ok- you said that 20,000 $ is more than enozgh for living decent. And can you tell me aprox. how much money would i have to spend for life expenses like- bills, taxes, gas, food (with out personal things like clothes etc)

Old 10-31-2008, 05:17 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,358,843 times
If you ate very well, drove a big gas guzzler, kept the a/c running all the time and watered your lawn way more than you need, you'd still probably have a hard time spending $2000-3000 month. I personally spend around $1000/month for those things. Taxes on the house would be well under $1000/month for a $400K house and most people don't buy new clothes every month, but if you did, the amount you would spend would depend on what sort of clothes you buy. You should still have well over $15K/month left over unless you live a very lavish lifestyle. Not that there's anything wrong with that and if you want someone to help you spend money, I love shopping for new toys..

Old 10-31-2008, 05:38 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times
Errrr...the EU is not a country, it is a political and economic union of 27 member states, most of which are in Europe. So I am a bit curious as to where you are really coming from?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 AM

824 posts, read 420,598 times
With that Much money I am surprised at the concern about bills.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allylang1 View Post
With that Much money I am surprised at the concern about bills.
Good point, I lived in Europe for almost half of my USAF career and can tell you that most Europeans know that the cost of living is much cheaper in the States than there...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,746,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie20 View Post
ok- you said that 20,000 $ is more than enozgh for living decent. And can you tell me aprox. how much money would i have to spend for life expenses like- bills, taxes, gas, food (with out personal things like clothes etc)
No....this really cannot be answered even in general terms. Your spending habits are unknown to us, and it's a very personal thing that really has nothing to do with what you earn. I have some clients that are extremely wealthy, but they live a very simple lifestyle. Those that are like you, retiring and open to travel generally have a condo/loft type residence and spend their money traveling. Others spend money like it's their last day on earth.

If you're not going to be around much, there is no way of even guessing what you would need to spend. Your budget is generous. You would need to provide more information of what your bills. Basic home ownership requires, electricity and/or gas, phone/cable/internet is optional and portable now, gasoline depends on your car and your driving habits, taxes depend on your home value and can be researched at BCAD.org. , possibly HOA fees, food again, depends on your habits...ie dining out, size of family....etc. Property maintenance...again depends on what you need and have. So you see....just too many variables.

Your audience here is very broad, and it's doubtful you'd get consistent answers.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM

944 posts, read 2,808,017 times
Oh, heavens. If I were you, and with that kind of money, I would choose to live in one of the most beautiful (geographically stunning) areas of the USA. San Antonio is a place where a lot of us came for the right job or to cut costs. The climate here is brutal for most people (except for me--I'm one of the weird people who likes the extreme heat and humidity). Without economic concerns, you can live where the USA has the most to offer! I would look into the central coast of California, Oregon, or Washington state. It's all gorgeous and temperate.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 10,120 times
I'm from Austria. (somebody asked that). Yeah I know living in USA is cheaper that EU ( i use EU because its faster to write that- i know eu is not a country), but i never lived there so I don't know how much cheaper is that. Well- little about my expenses- we will not spend that much money becouse our kids are very small (11 and 13 months) and our other kids are still in university here in europe so we still need to pay their tuition, their cars and appartments. We are not planning to travel much while we are living in USA ( becouse of small kids). So you are looking life expenses for avrage family of four ( we drive here BMW X6) and we are planning to buy SUV there too ( there for gas expenses). So can I live well with 10,000$ per month in SA.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:02 PM

790 posts, read 3,623,220 times
Pixie, as several other people have mentioned, spending $10,000 per month is quite a lot in San Antonio. The average household income in this city is approximately $38,000 per YEAR, so you can imagine that costs here are quite low. A small family like yours can live very, very well on $10,000 per month here - especially if your house is already paid for in cash, as you mentioned previously.

To put things into perspective, I'll give you the example of my uncle's family (husband, wife, two small children, and two grown children away in college). Their 4-bedroom house with a large yard and a pool is in what is considered a nice, established middle-class neighborhood (Castle Hills), and their children go to public schools. They have a new truck, and an SUV that's a few years old. They vacation in Colorado and on the TX Gulf Coast every year. They have every cable channel known to man, and they spend a fortune on cute clothes for their two little girls. Even with all that, they probably don't spend more than $4,000/mo. That amount includes their house payment but not any extras they pay for their kids in college.

So you can see that $10,000 is a LOT in San Antonio. Now, if you were going to live in New York City or San Francisco, you might find that $10,000 doesn't go nearly that far. A useful tool for you might be Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com You can use this to calculate the difference in cost of living between various cities in the US. For example, groceries in Burlington, VT are 22% more expensive than in Austin-San Antonio, while housing in Burlington is 54% more expensive, etc.

All that said, given the sizable budget you have, your decision about where to live probably should not be based on the cost of living but rather the quality of life you are looking for. Texas is VERY hot, but the winters are mild and I think the rugged landscape is some of the most beautiful in the world. Vermont is very picturesque, but you could not pay me enough to live there in the winter. Some claim that San Antonio is lacking in arts & culture, while others find it a refreshingly down-to-earth, open and friendly community.

The U.S. is like 5 or 6 different countries all rolled up into one. We have vastly different geographic regions, and a wide variety of different local cultures with different advantages and disadvantages. Before committing to a location, take some time to identify what is important to you in a community and make sure those things will be available in your chosen location. Given your more-than-adequate budget, quality of life is most likely your primary consideration.

Wilkommen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio