Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:35 PM

7 posts, read 10,836 times

Advertisements

Thank u very much Celeste. Well i was in USA at least 20 times (NY, LA, SF....) but i don't want to live in cities like that. Well i don't mind hot weather because i had it a lot here in austria. Your link helped me a lot. We are still looking into few smaller cities around USA. We will talk to some friends and that we will see. Maybe we will be neighbours next year.
Bye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
Pixie

I've been to Austria a lot (I used to live in Bratislava) and I can tell you that the hot weather here is nothing like you've ever experienced there! My uncle and aunt were here this summer from Weikersheim, Germany. They were amazed at how hot it gets here and they travel worldwide all the time.

Not trying to scare you off of San Antonio, we love it here; but I wanted to make sure you realize that when people in southcentral Texas say hot, they mean hot!

Otherwise, you can easily live within that budget. With my military retirement, disability and current salary, we live pretty well. Coming from Austria (a country that I love), it will seem dirt cheap to you here!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-01-2008, 07:33 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
yeah, the normal summer temperatures (as in about 6 straight months per year) here in San Antonio are actually higher than the heat waves that kills thousands of people in Europe and even in the northern parts of the US. I think the OP should take a trip down to Africa for a week or so and see how they like those temperatures prior to making a commitment to San Antonio.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,836 times
you scared me a now. Can you tell me in celsious degrees how hot is there. I can take up to 40 C

Old 11-01-2008, 04:00 PM

259 posts, read 909,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie20 View Post
you scared me a now. Can you tell me in celsious degrees how hot is there. I can take up to 40 C
40C is 104F and it rarely gets that hot. But you can count on many, many days in the mid-to-high 90s.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 PM

This graph is from the City-Data web site...

http://pics2.city-data.com/w1/lha21885.png (broken link)

But understand that with our southern latitude the sun is much more intense here than it is in Europe. It will feel much hotter than the average temperatures shown in the graph...

You get used to it after a while, but having moved here twice from Europe (Germany the first time, Belgium the second), I can tell you that your first summer in southcentral Texas is gonna feel brutal!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
it's the many months in a row that will both hurt and help you. The first year it will hurt Bad because it's just not normal for those of us from better (colder) climates. The intense heat lasts for months and there is absolutely no relief. At night it is still hot and it's hot in the morning, even before the sun comes up. It's not like a heat wave that hits you for a few days and then goes away. Also, like MMM said, the sun is brutal. It's like it's right on top of your head.
The good side (although I don't like the word good because a hot climate is never a good thing IMO) is that after a year or two you will actually get sorta used to it. It's still brutal hot, but it doesn't feel quite a as bad.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 AM

80 posts, read 194,556 times
Wintertime is beautiful mild weather, even though I'm one who prefers it cold. Also, I don't know how much snow you get in Austria, but you won't see much here.

$10,000 a month, you will do absolutely more than fine. $400,000 will buy you a large beautiful home in an established neighborhood. I hope you enjoy our stay in SA!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:09 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie20 View Post
I'm from Austria. (somebody asked that). Yeah I know living in USA is cheaper that EU ( i use EU because its faster to write that- i know eu is not a country), but i never lived there so I don't know how much cheaper is that. Well- little about my expenses- we will not spend that much money becouse our kids are very small (11 and 13 months) and our other kids are still in university here in europe so we still need to pay their tuition, their cars and appartments. We are not planning to travel much while we are living in USA ( becouse of small kids). So you are looking life expenses for avrage family of four ( we drive here BMW X6) and we are planning to buy SUV there too ( there for gas expenses). So can I live well with 10,000$ per month in SA.
Where in Austria? I have friends in Berndorf which is maybe 45 minutes south of Vienna and 10km off A2.

I moved here from a colder place also (Seattle) this summer. The heat is much more than I was used to but there are a lot of things to do to keep cool and still have fun. Anyway, $10,000 a month is enough to do pretty much anything you want around here.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Wintertime is beautiful mild weather, even though I'm one who prefers it cold. Also, I don't know how much snow you get in Austria, but you won't see any here.
Fixed it for ya! Snow is a very rare thing here! We may get a little frost, and the occassional ice (we had two ice storms two winters ago); but it too is rare and shortlived...

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio