Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times

Advertisements

FWIW - my Swiss husband LOVES the hot weather in San Antonio. That's one thing he doesn't miss about Switzerland. Temps here tend to be in the mid-to-high 30s C throughout May-September, sometimes starting in April and going through October, with a handful of days at 40C.

As for where to live in the US, if I had the $$, I'd live in a coastal place like Santa Barbara - stunning landscape, perfect weather almost all year (except June Gloom), small city with many amenities and close to L.A. to get the big city stuff. Just too expensive for people like me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:54 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

As for where to live in the US, if I had the $$, I'd live in a coastal place like Santa Barbara - stunning landscape, perfect weather almost all year (except June Gloom), small city with many amenities and close to L.A. to get the big city stuff. Just too expensive for people like me
It seems like you have to be a doctor or a lawyer to afford to live in a place like that.

I live in San Diego and I know I'm blessed to be making ends meet here, but I rent a home and live in a city that's a bit more affordable than other parts of San Diego. I still can't afford a home here even with prices dropping somewhat.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
It seems like you have to be a doctor or a lawyer to afford to live in a place like that.
Or a corporate type.... I loved living there, but was a poor student.

Quote:
I live in San Diego and I know I'm blessed to be making ends meet here, but I rent a home and live in a city that's a bit more affordable than other parts of San Diego. I still can't afford a home here even with prices dropping somewhat.
I was just in San Diego last week. It had been years since I'd been there and I remembered how much I loved it. I miss the Pacific so much!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

I was just in San Diego last week. It had been years since I'd been there and I remembered how much I loved it. I miss the Pacific so much!
It's wonderful living here, I was born and raised here and I truly love it. I would love to spend the rest of my life here but I'm also keeping my options open.

Question for you Chaka, and this could be of use to the OP as well so I stay on topic. And I'm sure you've answered this before but I have to ask again, what are some reasons you feel San Antonio is a great place to live and build a future for one's self?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
It's wonderful living here, I was born and raised here and I truly love it. I would love to spend the rest of my life here but I'm also keeping my options open.

Question for you Chaka, and this could be of use to the OP as well so I stay on topic. And I'm sure you've answered this before but I have to ask again, what are some reasons you feel San Antonio is a great place to live and build a future for one's self?
I'm the wrong person to answer. I like living in San Antonio and we have a great life here, but I didn't choose it as a place to build a future...not exactly. I chose it because I was offered a job based in SA, where I'd be spending 75% of my time overseas. I don't think I would have come here otherwise. In the process I met my husband, who also intended to come here temporarily, and we decided to stay a bit longer because his career was on a good track here. However, we don't intend to stay forever.

It's a large city with a small city feel - which has its pros and cons. I like living in the near-downtown area, which gives it a unique feel. I didn't like living in the suburbs - that felt like anywhere USA. I like the arts atmosphere - no not as great as some other cities, but living in the thick of it, I get to experience a lot. I like the friends I've made. I like a comfortable lifestyle for our salaries which are in the non-profit sector. I like that I can live a 10-15 minute walk to the Riverwalk and Alamo yet have a house with .25 acres to run and play and throw parties. I love my neighborhood - the eclectic mix of people, young and old, newcomers and long time residents that all offer so much to our local community. Our neighborhood is a great place to raise a child.

However, we may be moving next year and if not then, then probably in 3-5 years. we'd be going outside the US.

btw - I grew up in California and though I dearly miss the ocean, I wouldn't move back there unless I had a ton of money and could live comfortably in San Francisco or the northern coast. Otherwise, it's just too crowded for me and too much dependence upon cars.

Last edited by Chaka; 11-03-2008 at 10:45 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM

142 posts, read 338,992 times
PIXIE, that's plenty. You won't need to spend that much on a good house here. You will find that San Antonio is MUCH less expensive than anywhere in western Europe. In fact, we are much less expensive than California or New York or Chicago and Washington DC. You will need a car here, however, so factor in that expense. This is a great time to buy a house and a car.

Moderator's Note: Old thread... posts above this one are 6 weeks old.

Last edited by Bo; 12-19-2008 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: added note

Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,632 times
What kind of visa will you be coming here on ?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
What country in Europe are you from???

Old 02-11-2009, 05:25 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What country in Europe are you from???
If you mean the OP, she said she is from Austria...one of my favorite countries in Europe!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Well she DID say that she had been here quite a few times, so i'm guessing she already knows how hot it can get. The city is attractive and if it attracted her for its beauty, and she knows about the weather, then shes well on her way here. The summers can get pretty hot in the mid 90's sometimes even 100 degrees, but those days are rare (100 degrees). The rest of the time its around 90 degrees and in the fal its around 80 degrees. With all the money shes got I think she'll be just fine, no matter what the weather is like. San Antonio is a gorgeous city and I suggest she come to live here as soon as possible, once shes here she can decide another location if she doesnt feel its right for her. Personally I think San Antonio is great, and if I had her kind of money I would look into vacationing to new places a few times a year. Or buying several houses all around this beautiful country. Or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio