U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:23 PM

10,425 posts, read 12,674,053 times

Advertisements

Personally, I like Christmas lights but I've never been a fan of the over-the-top stuff like they do in the Windcrest neighborhood. I think it's plenty just to have a lighted tree in the window, and some lights around the window or front door area, nothing that would require professional service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Personally, I like Christmas lights but I've never been a fan of the over-the-top stuff like they do in the Windcrest neighborhood. I think it's plenty just to have a lighted tree in the window, and some lights around the window or front door area, nothing that would require professional service.
TOTALLY agree, but I'm a minimalist when it comes to the holidays (about a lot of things, really).

Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,873,288 times
The over the top stuff is fun to look at. There is such a thing as way overdone decorations but I guess that's a very subjective matter for each person. Having said that, though, I don't know if any of y'all have seen some of those tv shows about the extravagance of some homeowners but I'd say if it takes weeks and weeks of hours each day to cover your house and yard with decorations? Then it's probably overdone!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:08 PM

330 posts, read 1,234,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
Is it a Texas thing to hire someone to put up your lights? Maybe I just grew up in a uh...more frugal...neighborhood, but we always just put dad or one of my brothers up on a ladder and made sure the youngins weren't within earshot!
I've never heard of it until moving here, but I haven't had to worry about it much until now either.

The highest point from ground-to-roof at my house is 31 feet, and I stopped at Lowes today and the cheapest aluminum (not fiberglass) extension ladder that goes that high is $334. The cheaper quotes I've gotten so far are for $175-$200. I know that ladder will last forever, but I'm a little afraid of heights, and a lot kind of lazy.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:41 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,697,781 times
Back in the late 60's I worked as asst manager of J. J. Newberry Dept Store. We were putting up Christmas displays in August. Actually in a dept store, Christmas is a year round business. As soon as Christmas is over the mgr is ordering for the next Christmas and the merchandise starts arriving about March. The clerk that makes the decorations is already making store displays by this time and she starts putting them up in August and September. By October the store is discounting the merchandise to get it out in time.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 AM

75 posts, read 168,654 times
Wow, November 1st is really, really early. I even think that any time before Thanksgiving is early, we usually wait till the day after Thanksgiving to put our lights up.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:18 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,631,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Wow, November 1st is really, really early. I even think that any time before Thanksgiving is early, we usually wait till the day after Thanksgiving to put our lights up.
What a coincidence, I was just thinking about that today.

Before I go into it, I grew up in Latinamerica (unknown country ) and people just love christmas so much, that some people start putting christmas decorations on November 1st.

Living in Missouri for many years, that's something that I missed and Christmas always seems like a 1 week holiday, while where I grew up it seems like a 3-4 months holiday.

I was shocked (and happy) today when I went to the Walmart at 281-1604 and they had a big christmas tree at the front door, and they were putting up christmas decorations.

I told my wife: "There's another reason to be happy about moving to San Antonio"
Besides the fact that my kids don't have to wait until Spring to play with their christmas gifts

Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,713 times
Default Looking for someone to put up lights

Hi, We are looking for someone to put up oiur lights and read your blog. Could you send their info? Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
Lowe's & Home Depot have had Christmas stuff out for almost a month now.

We had someone come out to put lights up on our house last year. We had called early b/c we found out they were running a special and they put them up early November. We just didn't turn them on until around Thanksgiving. The guy was telling me that they get really busy closer to the holidays and like to get homes done as early as possible if they can. I was really pleased with their work - feel free to message me if anyone wants a recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio