Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,101 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We may be moving from Canada (Toronto area) to Texas (San Antonio). What I wanted to find out is what is a good area to live in near San Antonio, I have found the rents reasonable-around $900-$1000/month for 3 or 4 bedroom house and what is shopping, neighborhood etc. like and if our son is in Grade 12 here and we moved before school out (around Apr) would he be able to go to High School there and still graduate??? That is all he is worried about....re there many karaoke bars in the area, is it difficult to get a bank account etc. etc. and how hard is it to get credit if you have a job, hubby will have a job, as well as how long would I have to live there before I can get a job? Any info would be appreciated. One last thing, are there good colleges/universities that offer gaming techology (video game creation) courses and approximate cost...Tks,

Sue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 01:56 PM

23 posts, read 113,770 times
Sue, we are Canadians also, from Alberta. We have just bought a place north of San Antonio to start spending our winters in. About the only question I can help you with is perhaps your credit. I know that if you bank at the Royal Bank in Canada, you can open an RBC Centura (US based) bank account right away and both can be accessed on the same site for internet banking. With this bank account, you can apply for: US$ credit cards, and can transfer your credit rating to the US. This is a good tansition to help get things going before you arrive. RBC Centura does not have any physical branches in Texas, the banking is all done over the internet or by phone, but you can access your account through most ABM machines. By the way, if you haven't been down yet, you're going to love it! I am also familiar with Toronto, but find SA people so much friendlier and open. Our new neighbour greeted us with a big hug when we first met, in Toronto it seems exceptionally friendly if you get a handshake.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 27,915 times
To either of you women,,, I know those where posted a long time ago, but I also am from Canada and moving to San Antonio this fall. I'm from Manitoba. The more info I can get from either of you as to how your move and transition went, the better to prepare myself.
thanks
Joanne

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

204 posts, read 336,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errika View Post
Hi,

We may be moving from Canada (Toronto area) to Texas (San Antonio). What I wanted to find out is what is a good area to live in near San Antonio, I have found the rents reasonable-around $900-$1000/month for 3 or 4 bedroom house and what is shopping, neighborhood etc. like and if our son is in Grade 12 here and we moved before school out (around Apr) would he be able to go to High School there and still graduate??? That is all he is worried about....re there many karaoke bars in the area, is it difficult to get a bank account etc. etc. and how hard is it to get credit if you have a job, hubby will have a job, as well as how long would I have to live there before I can get a job? Any info would be appreciated. One last thing, are there good colleges/universities that offer gaming techology (video game creation) courses and approximate cost...Tks,

Sue
Show me the 3 or 4 bedroom house you found for $900. Chances are you aren't going to want to live in it.

You're looking more like $1300 and up for that size house in a average neighborhood in a desirable section of town.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM

418 posts, read 784,495 times
Old thread folks... back to 2007.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM

204 posts, read 336,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
Old thread folks... back to 2007.
How did I miss that?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_adorable View Post
To either of you women,,, I know those where posted a long time ago, but I also am from Canada and moving to San Antonio this fall. I'm from Manitoba. The more info I can get from either of you as to how your move and transition went, the better to prepare myself.
thanks
Joanne
My next door neighbors are Canadians that work here for a canadian based company. They have been nice and friendly to me. I have had no issues with them and know I could count on them if I needed my house watched over.

They have told me they love it here more than back in Cananda. Both of them have seemed to adjusted to living here, even with the Texas heat.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
What's up with all the Canadians moving to Texas? Btw, loved Alberta. If I could, I'd have a second home there (cabin).

Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM

We have only moved part time. We are officially now snowbirds and spend about 5 1/2 months in the winter down there. We have bought a mobile home in the hills just north of San Antonio. We love it there, but I must admit that by the time we head home, I am starting to feel ready to be a Canadian again! Your experiences will be much different than ours if you are going to be moving full time and living in the city as compared to country living.

One of the big differences we find, is the cost of living is much less than up hear, especially the cost of food. We always buy way more than we need when we go shopping, eat out more than we should, and end up with our freezer half full when it is time to go back, because it is hard for us to resist the bargains. Our friends down the road love emptying the freezer for us!

It is going to be a big adjustment just living in a different country! The heat will be hard to adjust to, as it is a humid heat, and you come from a dry part of Canada, as we do. We do not have air conditioning in our mobile, usually we do not need it in the winter, but this spring it was really too hot for us by the end of April.

Driving in the city is a challenge, but there isn't much you can do to prepare for that.

We find that people are much friendlier and easier to meet and make friends than up here.

There is so much to see and do, we have been going down there for 5 years now and have hardly scratched the surface.

We notice a difference in attitudes (of course this is generalizing, I know that all Texans do not think and act in one way and all Canadians in another), but still there seem to be differences. There are some subjects we just try not to discuss with our Texan friends. And they all laugh at my absolute abhorrence of all guns!

Hope this helps a bit.
Terry

Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 PM

What's up with all the Canadians moving to Texas?

If you had ever been up here in the winter you wouldn't have to ask that question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio