Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,138 times

Advertisements

I am not fooled by anyone's ads. And I did NOT say that they were the cheapest in town. I said that they have low prices on a national scale. In fact, I do very little of my overall grocery shopping there.

As TexHwyMan pointed out, SA grocery prices are lower than much of the nation. About 15 years ago, SA grocery prices were about 92% of the national average. Now, this was when there was HEB, Handy Andy, and Kroger, among others. With the proliferation of SuperTarget and Super WalMart, HEB has had to sharpen their prices even more. Now, SA has grocery prices that are 84% of average.

And I NEVER said that that was why they had a large market share...I said that they had to expect gripes!

In addition, HEB has long been known for differential pricing. They "ended" the practice in the mid-90's, only to bring it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 PM

487 posts, read 1,117,422 times
My Highway Man the expert on ALL subjects:
I will be more than happy to meet with you and compare grocery receipts. I'm also quite sure your figures do not factor in the double and triple coupons that are quite popular in markets where real competition exists.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
I will be more than happy to meet with you and compare grocery receipts. I'm also quite sure your figures do not factor in the double and triple coupons that are quite popular in markets where real competition exists.
So what's your point exactly? Since I also live in San Antonio, comparing grocery receipts would be pointless. And it's pretty sad that people in other markets need double and triple coupons to get to the level that we pay without coupons, and we get the discount on our overall bill and not just on items with coupons.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
What??? My other half cut's coupons every Sunday. It get's annoying with them all over the house. We save about 25% almost every time we go to the store. Moderator cut: addressing other members shop around here are some choices.

Food stores of San Antonio

Sun Harvest (1 Location)

Super Wal-Mart (18 Locations)

Super Target (5 locations)

HEB (52 Locations in al 5 metro counties)

Whole Foods (1 Location)

Costco (3 Locations)

Sam's (5 Locations)

With three major player's in the food sales market you people should be able to find completion. As already stated even absent another major grocery only we still have some of the cheapest prices in the country.

One last point if people supported the other national chains when they where as much as they support HEB then they would still be here. HEB is here to stay for a reason.

Last edited by Bo; 11-11-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Tone it down a little. Disagreeing about ideas is fine, aiming the disagreement at other members is not.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Grocery prices in San Antonio are 7% less than in Houston.
(Source: Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com)
I'll take my real-life comparison over your facts any day. I lived in Houston for 12 years and shopped at Kroger and HEB weekly. Both are cheaper than HEB in SA. Not to mention the product mix, it is much better in Houston. Even when you compare HEB to HEB.

San Antonians are really getting screwed by the hometown grocer. Be a homer all you want, HEB is not treating you right.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
I'll take my real-life comparison over your facts any day. I lived in Houston for 12 years and shopped at Kroger and HEB weekly. Both are cheaper than HEB in SA. Not to mention the product mix, it is much better in Houston. Even when you compare HEB to HEB.
Kroger used to be in this market and could not compete with HEB, so that's why they're not here anymore. Same with Albertson's. I even remember the days when HEB would have identical carts of groceries near the front entrance-- one with their total price, and one with Kroger's and/or Albertson's price, and HEB was always substantially cheaper. Now I admit that was back in the day when those chains were here, so that comparison may not be true today, but cost-of-living indices seem to indicate that it probably would be. And with the competition from Wal-Mart, Super Target, Costco, the military commissaries, etc., HEB cannot rest on their laurels and therefore they don't. I've shopped at both Super Wal-Mart and HEB and have consistently found that HEB is cheaper overall and has more selection. Target seemed to be even more expensive than Wal-Mart the last time I looked. Yeah, you may get some items cheaper at one store or the other (for instance, meat is substantially cheaper at the commissary), but overall, my experience has been that HEB is cheaper, and statistics seem to bear that out.

I think we've been through this debate before:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...n-antonio.html

As a side note-- HEB is the 13th largest privately-held company in the US:
America's Largest Private Companies sorted by Rank - Forbes.com

Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Kroger used to be in this market and could not compete with HEB, so that's why they're not here anymore. Same with Albertson's. I even remember the days when HEB would have identical carts of groceries near the front entrance-- one with their total price, and one with Kroger's and/or Albertson's price, and HEB was always substantially cheaper. Now I admit that was back in the day when those chains were here, so that comparison may not be true today, but cost-of-living indices seem to indicate that it probably would be. And with the competition from Wal-Mart, Super Target, Costco, the military commissaries, etc., HEB cannot rest on their laurels and therefore they don't. I've shopped at both Super Wal-Mart and HEB and have consistently found that HEB is cheaper overall and has more selection. Target seemed to be even more expensive than Wal-Mart the last time I looked. Yeah, you may get some items cheaper at one store or the other (for instance, meat is substantially cheaper at the commissary), but overall, my experience has been that HEB is cheaper, and statistics seem to bear that out.

I think we've been through this debate before:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...n-antonio.html

As a side note-- HEB is the 13th largest privately-held company in the US:
America's Largest Private Companies sorted by Rank - Forbes.com
Like I said previously, drive outside of SA and find another HEB, you'll see the difference. I'm not quoting stats from here or there, I'm a living example telling you that the pricing and product mix is worse here than in Houston (not sure of other areas). Believe me or not, but HEB is not treating you right. Next time you're in Houston, go to an HEB and look at their prices and products. It won't take you long to see the difference.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,118 times
I'm thinking I need to agree with 713 to 210 here. My daughter recently moved to Houston and has been (pleasantly) surprised at the lower prices at HEB there. I'll have her check some specific items next time she shops and we can compare.

Get those "stats" all you want. It's the real life, everyday items that matter. Just MHO.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,204 times
Oh I wish we had Fiesta like Houston, Dallas, and Austin. Now thats a classy store...

Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,204 times
In Midland we had Wal-Mart, Sams, Albertsons, Lowe's (grocery), Save-a-lot, Super Mercado, etc.

HEB was by the far the best store and best selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio