U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:32 AM

706 posts, read 1,519,874 times

Advertisements

But with specific questions that I haven't seen addressed here:

My husband will be working at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) located on Culebra road - just inside 410 directly East of Sea World. I have researched local school districts, and for lots of reasons really like Boerne ISD. I think we would really like the Fair Oaks Ranch area.

My first question is what would the commute be like from the Fair Oaks Ranch area to SwRI? I don't know at this point how much flexibility he will have re: time of day of his commute, but I suspect he will be able to tweak it to go in early and leave a bit before heavy afternoon rush hour.

Second question is totally off the wall - my son and I enjoy roller skating in a roller rink. I would like to know if anyone has been to Skateland West and/or Car-Vel Skate Center in Leon Valley, and how those compare....what the neighborhood is like around them, etc. I realize that I might have to do another thread for this, but thought I'd try.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 AM

14,614 posts, read 31,157,176 times
My 12 year old son loves the skating rink in Leon Valley, and it's like stepping back in time whenever I go in. (like over 30 years back!)

There is nothing house-wise in the immediate area of the skating rink that would compare to Fair Oaks Ranch, IMO.

I wouldn't want the commute, but I'm sure that people who make a similar one will say it's not too bad, so don't listen to me! I have a 10 minute trip to work, and that's bad enough!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the reply! No, we won't be basing our relocation on where the skating rinks are, LOL - I was just wondering if the rinks were located in a safe residential area.

The rink we frequent currently is also 30 years old, and it is very much stepping back in time. I love skating, grew up close to a rink - rediscovered it about a year ago - 3 hours in the rink = up to 1000 calories burned!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 AM

18 posts, read 33,399 times
Traffic around 410/Culebra is a nightmare. If his hrs. are flexible, get there early, and leave either early or late. I go in an hr. early to avoid the morning commute. I can't leave before 5 so I have to "fight" it in the evening, but tell him to take advantage of the gates not on Culebra. I go out the Commerce gate, which is a bit out of the way, but it saves sitting in the gridlock on Culebra up to 410 and probably knocks 15-20 minutes off my commute home.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks! Can you give me any idea of commuting time up to the Fair Oaks ranch area? Assume he can miss most of the stuff in the am.

He will be starting in January and will live close to SwRI for awhile. He will probably have several months to explore before we join him - we will sell our house first and most likely stay till the end of school. So some of this he can experiment with when he is there. We are just anxious and excited right now, and want to start planning right away.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
Thanks for the reply! No, we won't be basing our relocation on where the skating rinks are, LOL - I was just wondering if the rinks were located in a safe residential area.

The rink we frequent currently is also 30 years old, and it is very much stepping back in time. I love skating, grew up close to a rink - rediscovered it about a year ago - 3 hours in the rink = up to 1000 calories burned!
I know Leon Valley has some lovely homes.....it's not all perfect, though. And the cops there, well, never mind. I hate them. But some people like the "in your face for 3 miles over the speed limit" approach. I DO NOT!

I can't speak to the areas around Skateland West....I need to google and see where it is. lol

Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 AM

Alamo Ranch would probably suit your needs for housing. That would just be a straight shot out 151 to 410 to Culebra, or something like that! The one who works there probably has a better route.

It's also a straight shot to the skating rink--about 5 miles down Culebra (which magically turns into Grissom) bang a left on Bandera at the end of Grissom, and a block or so down is the skating rink!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 AM

I don't know, since I don't live in the Fair Oaks ranch area, but I can tell you there is a LOT of traffic on I-10/410 and he'll be in the thick of it both directions. (assuming he does the normal "commute" hrs) It takes me around 30 min. to go about 9 mi. from SWRI in the evening, but I do back roads. I can tell you it is absolute gridlock on I-10 and 410. 151-1604-10 has gotten as bad or worse. I'd guess 45min-1hr. to Fair Oaks, but that's just a guess, and also depends on time of day and how many people decide to run over other drivers because they're too busy yapping on their cell phones. Sounds like he'll have time to experiment.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 AM

Hmm--I never noticed that Culebra magically turns into Grissom (it doesn't) and I drive it every day. I take Old Grissom to Grissom and hang a left on Bandera. It's MUCH quicker/shorter that way than going all the way to Grissom and turning right--it's just a longer route to get right back to the same place---I had to do it last year during the flooding because Timberpath and Old Grissom were underwater.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlgds View Post
Hmm--I never noticed that Culebra magically turns into Grissom (it doesn't) and I drive it every day. I take Old Grissom to Grissom and hang a left on Bandera. It's MUCH quicker/shorter that way than going all the way to Grissom and turning right--it's just a longer route to get right back to the same place---I had to do it last year during the flooding because Timberpath and Old Grissom were underwater.
No, Culebra turns into Tezel. But when I'm at, say Amy's Tex-Mex, to me that's Culebra Road. If I turn left out of Amy's and continue straight on that road, it becomes Grissom at the light--left is Tezel, right is Culebra, straight is Grissom. But thanks for pointing that out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or