Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times

Advertisements

I've lived mostly in older homes here in SA so I've almost always had gas cooking, water heating, and general heating. The only problem I've ever had with a stove was an electric one in a newer house that caught fire (nothing in it!) due to some wiring problem, interestingly enough!

We have a gas water heater (it is outside) in this house, gas lines in each room for space heaters (no central heat / ac here), a gas clothes dryer, and gas for cooking. No 220 plugs at all so we couldn't have an electric stove or clothes dryer without modifying that. For the first year here we didn't have a gas dryer so we had to use a little "portable" 110 clothes dryer when we couldn't hang the clothe out. Pricey to run that sucker!!

I can't stand electric stoves after years of cooking with gas, but I'm afraid of gas heaters, (irrationally).... we have fancy new ones that came with the house, with tons of safety features and whatnot but I am afraid to hook them up and turn them on so we use electric blankets and electric heaters instead! Guess I should be glad it doesn't get THAT cold here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
Thanks for all the great responses. Because I'm used to it being cheaper to have gas heat/dryer/stove, in addition to the fact that cooking is more precise with gas, it's always been on my must-have list when house hunting. But, if it's truly cheaper to go all electric in SA and if it's better for resale (expectations of the many have to supersede the expectations of the few....and by few, I mean me ), then I'll stop even paying attention to it. Since we will definitely not be doing a new build, I'm gonna ratchet my picky-ness down a notch. Although, I will have to sell hubby on the fact that yes, people do in fact cook on electric ranges.....

Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
I wouldn't say it is better for resale to go all electric. In more affluent areas buyers expect gas.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
If gas is done properly it is just as safe as electricity. Gas appliances are being designed with a lot better pilot systems. I'll bet if you looked at the numbers, and I haven't, I'm just guessing, You would find more house fires due to faulty electrical systems than faulty gas systems. I wish they would go ahead and put in the infastructure for natural gas filling stations for vehicles. It's much safer than gasoline and cleaner and cheaper.
Total agreement with you there Bob!! I know quite a bit about appliances (gas and electric) and electrical safety in general! I'll take my chances with gas over electric any day! Now, if it were a choice between electric or LP gas (Propane) different story! LP gas is heavier than air and will accumulate in low areas! Leaks are a huge concern with LP for that reason! Natural gas on the other hand is lighter than air and disperses easily. Electrical (resistance)heating of any kind would be most expensive. Without special rates you certainly would not prefer electric over gas! Electric can be safe enough if all connections are maintained. Load capabilities must be adhered to. The problem is, in electric heating heat tends to be built up in many areas unintended! General wiring and such! guess that's enough rambling!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I wouldn't say it is better for resale to go all electric. In more affluent areas buyers expect gas.
Well, what about for the not-so-affluent folk? We're looking in the $165K-$175K range in not-new-but-not-old neighborhoods and it's no dice on the gas stoves. If someone knows of a specific neighborhood or area that has 'em, I'd be interested!!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Well, what about for the not-so-affluent folk? We're looking in the $165K-$175K range in not-new-but-not-old neighborhoods and it's no dice on the gas stoves. If someone knows of a specific neighborhood or area that has 'em, I'd be interested!!
Well, that fits my neighborhood (SOME of the houses, not the largest ones, tho). HOWEVER, the houses are old-ish (about half the houses are 30 years old and other half are about 16 years ~ don't know if the newer houses have gas) and not energy efficient, so utility bills are high (and the lots are large, so water bills can be up there if you water the lawn). We're on the "Far West" side of town, right next to Sea World. DM me if you're interested and I'll give you more specifics.

(btw, we moved here from Menifee about 10 years ago! )

Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
If you find a house that interests you, and the listing indicates it has an electric range, you might do well to take a closer look.

When I bought my house in an established neighborhood several years ago, it was listed as "all electric kitchen", but after I bought it, I discovered a capped gas line in the back of the cabinet beneath the drop-in electric range. It obviously originally had gas appliances.

I would think some of the builders in newer subdivisions would at least rough-in the necessary gas lines in case a buyer insists on a gas range. It's usually a much bigger ordeal and expense to retrofit a gas line than an electric line after the house is built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio