Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times

Advertisements

I have found that the service you get depends on how you treat them.

Do unto others...............

Works for me everytime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
The management of City-Data has the following rule about posting consumer complaints.

Quote:
This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument.
For that reason, you can't post the names of the places where you've had bad customer service experiences. I had to edit those out of several posts above.

To comply with the rule, you can describe the type of place where you had the bad experience, such as "car dealership" or "fast food restaurant," but you can't name it.

This is obviously a topic to which many of us will have something to contribute. Your moderator team will be more likely to keep the thread open if you can stick to the limits described above.

Last edited by Bo; 11-06-2008 at 08:56 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
Anyone ever notice that at some of the upscale department stores, the service depends on how you are dressed? If you come in dressed casually - jeans and t-shirt - you are not perceived as someone who might actually spend money in their store. If you come in dressed less casual, say in your shirt/tie or suit if you are a guy and in a dress or nice outfit if you are a gal, you get much better service. My husband says that when he shops for suits dressed in a suit, he gets much better service than if he just goes in in his shorts and t-shirt. He said that there was one guy in the store that didn't treat him like a bum when he showed up in shorts and a t-shirt one Saturday. He kept the guy's card and now will only deal with him when he shops there.

I remember going to a restaurant - not exactly upscale, but a nicer one, dressed casually in slacks and nice shirt, hubby in dockers and polo.... The waiter must have thought we were bums, considering the service we received. He sat us by the kitchen and basically ignored us. Mind you, people in the restaurant were dressed anywhere from suits and dresses to just like we were. Well.....in comes this rather loud family of at least 8-10 people, some dressed in jeans and button down denim shirts, some in shorts and t-shirts, kids in shorts and t-shirts. Our snooty waiter had to serve them and we got a big laugh out of the whole thing. Reminded me of the Blues Brothers movie scene in the ritzy restaurant...

Old 11-08-2008, 08:34 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
DANG! That is so unfortunate!!!

A few years ago, I bought a Suburban, USED, at Moderator cut: dealer name. EVERY time I took my baby in for service, the guys behind the counter totally took care of me. They were awesome, so attentive, helpful, considerate. Awesome service, and it was a darned "used car" place.

But then again, I'm freakin' hot, sooooooo.......

lol, so you can get better service based on looks. but then again theres always those kissing up to people in order to get a tip.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Anyone ever notice that at some of the upscale department stores, the service depends on how you are dressed? If you come in dressed casually - jeans and t-shirt - you are not perceived as someone who might actually spend money in their store. If you come in dressed less casual, say in your shirt/tie or suit if you are a guy and in a dress or nice outfit if you are a gal, you get much better service. My husband says that when he shops for suits dressed in a suit, he gets much better service than if he just goes in in his shorts and t-shirt. He said that there was one guy in the store that didn't treat him like a bum when he showed up in shorts and a t-shirt one Saturday. He kept the guy's card and now will only deal with him when he shops there.

I remember going to a restaurant - not exactly upscale, but a nicer one, dressed casually in slacks and nice shirt, hubby in dockers and polo.... The waiter must have thought we were bums, considering the service we received. He sat us by the kitchen and basically ignored us. Mind you, people in the restaurant were dressed anywhere from suits and dresses to just like we were. Well.....in comes this rather loud family of at least 8-10 people, some dressed in jeans and button down denim shirts, some in shorts and t-shirts, kids in shorts and t-shirts. Our snooty waiter had to serve them and we got a big laugh out of the whole thing. Reminded me of the Blues Brothers movie scene in the ritzy restaurant...

I'm a pretty laid back person, and I usually don't complain much. Although, I have noticed if we have our 4 year old son with us when we go out, we ALWAYS get seated in the worst place in the restaurant. If they do this, I immediately turn to the hostess and say "don't you have a better table for us?" and I just let them know that is not good enough. The thing is, after having a long day as a SAH mama, I DON'T want to have to sit next to a loud kitchen, when this is supposed to be my "night out" and relax. For me, having a nice meal out is a luxury, so I want my experience to be pleasant. It's one of the only times I'll complain about something...oh, and sometimes if the food is not cooked right. Other than that...I'll put up with just about anything.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 5,660 times
People with pleasant attitudes work at places where a pleasant attitude is a requirement for reasons like better pay or a better environment. It's not an absolute, but generally speaking, people aren't being rude or unprofessional because they have a low payrate, they have a low payrate because they are rude or unprofessional.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 31,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Now, on the other hand, I don't think that employees should have to tolerate extreme rudeness or abusive treatment from customers, either, and when you have management that backs up their employees in this regard, you'll have better service overall because employees know that if they do their best, it's not going to be turned around on them if someone is being insanely unreasonable.
When I was a teen/young twentysomething in college I did some customer service work (movie theatre, grocery stores, tech support/call center) and I found that some people just wanted to take out their issues on anyone in front of them. I had a woman treat me like utter garbage once as I was trying to cash her paycheck from a local pizza chain. I mean come ON, she worked for a pizza chain, didn't she know what it's like to be in CS? She actually made me cry that day and I was shaking like a leaf by the time she'd finished browbeating me over her dinky stupid lil check. She was snotty beyond compare and was LUCKY I didn't record her name and address and terrorize her (a lesser person may have done and I can't say she didn't deserve it!)

The employer in those instances must protect their employees. Abuse shouldn't be tolerated. I was smacked once by a customer because I'd picked up an item accidentally from the next person's order (they hadn't used one of those lil bars and somehow the stuff was close together.) The man's hand and arm just flew out and smacked my hand so I dropped the item. Who the heck DOES that? Is it THAT important?

Some people look at a person in a min. wage job and treat them as less than human because they're not making the big bucks and have no power.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 AM

237 posts, read 601,110 times
Must be the shade of lipstick I wear, but c.s. still isn't a problem for me here (aside from a certain governmental medical service I am forced to use).

I hit up 5 car dealerships yesterday looking for a car for my son and all I had to do was roll down my window and crook my finger at them. They came running.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:15 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandCajun View Post
Must be the shade of lipstick I wear, but c.s. still isn't a problem for me here (aside from a certain governmental medical service I am forced to use).

I hit up 5 car dealerships yesterday looking for a car for my son and all I had to do was roll down my window and crook my finger at them. They came running.
I hope you are complaining about the medical system and not the docs.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:25 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandCajun View Post

I doubt it has anything to do with the shade of lipstick you wear, or your gender. My husband doesn't wear lipstick, and obviously is male, yet when he pulled in to a local dealership today to get some PARTS, he wasn't even finished getting our little girls out of the car before an extremely friendly young man came running up to the car to "help".

Car dealerships reportedly are struggling and will prolly kiss your behind (literally!) for your business right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio