U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 07:41 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly25:17 View Post
Thanks for the info.Yes I know about the Onion/Joseph Huebner house.
I justwas wondering who owned the area where I used to live because to be honest we had a haunting there. A psychic friend of our family gave us info onthe person we had been seeing. His name is Juan Antonio Dominguez. So I was curious if that area was ranch land.
Ironically, I've done this kind of research for a paranormal group in San Antonio.

The property I researched was/is well known for hauntings. My job was to do a blind study on the historical part while the paranormal group went on site and did "their" thing. Afterwards we compared notes to see if any of it matched up.
It was truly FUN!

To do what you're talking about would require a title search going back from the property in question. Most people can do it, but some of the older records get a little tricky. The clerks at the courthouse are usually very helpful if they are not too busy.

If you need more information, send me a private message. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly25:17 View Post
Thanks for the info.Yes I know about the Onion/Joseph Huebner house.
I justwas wondering who owned the area where I used to live because to be honest we had a haunting there. A psychic friend of our family gave us info onthe person we had been seeing. His name is Juan Antonio Dominguez. So I was curious if that area was ranch land.
Sly...I was able to do a little more digging and found the early plat records for those subdivisions in that area. The early ones were platted in 1957....but weren't actually built until after 1960. I couldn't find who the land was purchased from, but one of the Van Der Walles had a homesite right in the middle of it off Callahan. I suspect that is who the developer purchased the acreage from to plat the neighborhood. The earlier developer was named W.R. Craig. Remaining tracts were bought up by a developer by the name of H P Orts. All of this info is of public records either at the court house or BCAD.

The Southwest Research Institute and the Southwest Foundation for Research and Education are part of the Tom Slick legacy, and were part of his ESSAR Ranch. All of that very close or adjacent to the Van De Walle farms.

To go back much further would take a bit of research to trace the title.....but you would eventually get to the orignial Texas land grant to E. Alexander Survey No 149. The land grant I mentioned to you earlier is adjacent to the E. Alexander grant.

As far as specifics you are looking for, I doubt there is an documentation for any of it. Owning land is only part of the story.....but is a place to start. Who actually lived and worked or traveled through there is harder or impossible to trace in early records. I wish I could help more!

Last edited by wCat; 07-31-2008 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Wonderful high school~! My daughter graduated from there in 2000 during 1/2 of the construction. It was amazing how they were able to complete this without huge disruptions in class scheduling.

SM....ironic you mentioned trees.....if you look in pic #2, there is a very large tree in the front of the building. It had to go to make way of progress. It was sort of icon of Mac and everyone was up in arms about it being taken down. But....after seeing the great planning and progress they made to accomodate the needs of this school, it was a good sacrifice.

BTW - That neighborhood adjacent and behind Mac is a lovely older neighborhood with roomy houses that are still affordable. Mac was built in the 50's so those neighborhoods were developed in the late 50's and 60's.
I forget what the name of that neighborhood is...Regent ParK? SMUboy? do you know?
That neighborhood is MacArthur Terrace. I lived on Mindoro. Graduated from Mac in 76. Regency Place is to the left of the school.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 AM

235 posts, read 316,493 times
there is a "female de zavala", along with 2 other women from the 1920's, standing at the door to san fernando cathedral. i found the photo in the san antonio history archives. this may be the de zavala someone is referring to. also, i claim to be no history buff, but wouldn't it make common sense that 9 mile hill is the "9 miles", stretching from fred and wurzbach, to downtown san antonio? if you have lived in san antonio, and driven from town up fred. rd., going north(west), it is mainly ALL UPHILL. just sayin'...i used to go to that big old haunted house on lockehill and wurzbach. we used to hear the stories of the 'donkey lady' too. i remember taking a couple of girls up there one weekend night. they wanted to see donkey lady. i obliged them. i had some friends drive out there ahead of me. they got dropped off, and were hiding, waiting for us to approach. as i pulled onto the property(somewhere by a silo, or building, i turned the car lights out. the girls asked me why i was doing that. i told them it was the only way to "draw out" the donkey lady. next thing we know, the car is getting the crap kicked out of it. i thought those girls would never stop screaming. my eardrums hurt me for days. of course, when the girls found out it was a set-up, well....lets just say i never went on a date with that particular girl again. oh, the things we guys do for entertainment...

Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 AM

one of those old buildings along wetmore was annies hubcaps. seemed like it was there forever. don't know what it was before it had all the hubcaps. went to that little sandwich shop once. wasn't impressed.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 AM

wetmore p.o. still there, but not operational. here are the photos from 2008.

Wetmore Texas Post Office-2008 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,172,076 times
Default Early San Antonio

From Mr. Arthur Davis Stewart that I would like to share.

La Blanca Cafe/Jose A. Navarro @ 232 S. Laredo St. 1936

Menger Hotel 1936

San Fernando Cathedral 1936

Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 PM

263 posts, read 366,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
there is a "female de zavala", along with 2 other women from the 1920's, standing at the door to san fernando cathedral. i found the photo in the san antonio history archives. this may be the de zavala someone is referring to. also, i claim to be no history buff, but wouldn't it make common sense that 9 mile hill is the "9 miles", stretching from fred and wurzbach, to downtown san antonio? if you have lived in san antonio, and driven from town up fred. rd., going north(west), it is mainly ALL UPHILL. just sayin'...i used to go to that big old haunted house on lockehill and wurzbach. we used to hear the stories of the 'donkey lady' too. i remember taking a couple of girls up there one weekend night. they wanted to see donkey lady. i obliged them. i had some friends drive out there ahead of me. they got dropped off, and were hiding, waiting for us to approach. as i pulled onto the property(somewhere by a silo, or building, i turned the car lights out. the girls asked me why i was doing that. i told them it was the only way to "draw out" the donkey lady. next thing we know, the car is getting the crap kicked out of it. i thought those girls would never stop screaming. my eardrums hurt me for days. of course, when the girls found out it was a set-up, well....lets just say i never went on a date with that particular girl again. oh, the things we guys do for entertainment...
Since your are familiar with the area,do you recall a road side "ICE HOUSE" on FREDRSBG RD at Huebner named
Fletchers ICE HOUSE?It was located across BOLDTS GARRAGE,and LOCKHILL CEMETERY,any Pics. anybody?from that area
around 1967-68.That Ice House was my first job at 15yrs.old.I too went looking for "THE DONKEY LADY".Found an old VW in the pool at the old mansion called "ALGO DIFFERENTE",back in the 40's.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,303,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
Since your are familiar with the area,do you recall a road side "ICE HOUSE" on FREDRSBG RD at Huebner named
Fletchers ICE HOUSE?It was located across BOLDTS GARRAGE,and LOCKHILL CEMETERY,any Pics. anybody?from that area
around 1967-68.That Ice House was my first job at 15yrs.old.I too went looking for "THE DONKEY LADY".Found an old VW in the pool at the old mansion called "ALGO DIFFERENTE",back in the 40's.

Are you sure that wasn't Delaney's Ice House?
I lived 1 mile from there down Prue rd. Used to ride our bikes up there to get a Big Red.
Bolt's garage was across the street with a huge oak tree on the corner. My dad worked there when he was 17. I have a painting of Bolt's Garage around here somewhere..I'll post it if I can find it.
Here we go....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...lts-garage.jpg

Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM

263 posts, read 366,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Are you sure that wasn't Delaney's Ice House?
I lived 1 mile from there down Prue rd. Used to ride our bikes up there to get a Big Red.
Bolt's garage was across the street with a huge oak tree on the corner. My dad worked there when he was 17. I have a painting of Bolt's Garage around here somewhere..I'll post it if I can find it.
Here we go....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...lts-garage.jpg
Your are correct my friend,It was DELANEY's.One of the Fletchers that married into the family had me thinkin' it was Fletchers.
My dad would take either a Willys Jeep or an old DODGE millitary troop carrier that his boss owned to Boldts for repairs..If you lived up Prue rd.,
you had to have known the McArthurs.Did you also happen to play ball at JOE STRAUSSE field.I did, with team of the same name.Also you gotta remember the BBQ joint on Fred.Rd.That painting brought it all back.Thanks a million.WoW!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or