Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:06 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
No Rancho,
Only Two presidents were aboard Air Force One that afternoon, the 22nd of Nov. 1963- one live and one dead, the wives and entourage. JFK was in the back in a coffin, behind a partition, Mrs. Kennedy was back there with him.
When the Dallas judge swore LBJ in for that iconic picture it was merely symbolic anyway. LBJ had already become President immediately after JFK passed. It was for the reassurance of people.
Thank You huckster for clearing it up.
I remember seeing it on television, but wasn’t sure if it was film footage or a photo.

We had a black & white television box with the rabbit-ears.
I do know that I watched the shooting of Oswald by Jack Ruby on TV.

Btw: The day before, I was standing by the Majestic Theater on
Houston St. when the motorcade passed by. They turned south on St. Mary’s Street.
The first Lady had a beautiful smile.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 10-27-2016 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 30,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
If you go to https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pJVnXx3WkyyioA
Type in USAA San Antonio Tx, and go to 1973, you can see the early stages of the building of USAA.
1966 and earlier,, you can see the farmhouse and fields as they were back then. Used to be a dairy.
Texted my dad about the name of the landowners back then....I forget their name. I grew up a mile or so away down Prue rd.
That is an awesome site!! Thank you.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:57 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texymae View Post
That is an awesome site!! Thank you.
You are quite welcome!
Addicting, isn't it?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:52 AM

15 posts, read 30,047 times
Txtea,

Yes it is!!!

I LOVE digging in & doing research. I wish I knew how to make a living doing it, lol.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:47 PM

457 posts, read 661,028 times
Anyone have any information regarding an early-morning plane crash at the intersection of Bitters and Wetmore Roads?
It was in the mid- late 1950's. All the occupants of the aircraft and two classmates were killed as the plane failed to take off and the wreckage came to rest on or near the railroad tracks east of Wetmore, after striking the vehicle stopped at the stop sign. NTSB records don't reflect any details, nor even the event!

Any thoughts?

BB

Old 06-24-2018, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 8,408 times
Default Wetmore,TX

I live in the area of Wetmore. I find very little about this town. I found the town was around until about 1977. I saw posts on Salido, TX north of the airport, and pictures of the post office in Wetmore, but there is also a Wetmore Cemetery further north of the post office so I’m thinking Wetmore must have been a bit larger than most of the tiny towns swallowed up by our city. Wetmore was started by a guy who worked for the railroad traveling to San Antonio who liked the spot and felt it would be a good spot. I think there was a train station and a bit of a downtown area. I would like to hear from someone who grew up here with more -(pictures/story’s) - than the small amount of history that I have found on this area.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 561 times
Check out [url]https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer[/url] and type in USAA Fredricksburg Rd. San Antonio. There is the ability to slide/dissolve the photo. I will generally select the earliest photo/year on the right and the most current photo date on the left then slide between the two. It is amazing to see just how much progress has gone on over ___ years. It is a great site and very addicting....I've spent hours on it. If you don't have a subscription, there will be "watermarks" on the pics but that hasn't stopped me from being on it for hours.
It's funny, you don't really notice all the changes since you're living and working in the city, day to day. Seems like all the construction/changes just "happen" one day and all the sudden, DeZavala is jam-packed with traffic, stores, and restaraunts.
I moved in Woods of Shavano in 1981 and remember having to go to Wuzbach for senior lunch in 1990.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:54 PM

87 posts, read 64,846 times
Did you know San Antonio used to be Las Vegas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_An...rting_District

Old 12-08-2018, 10:46 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBard79 View Post
Did you know San Antonio used to be Las Vegas?
Yeah - my dad and uncles used to talk about it....when the aunts weren't around...

Galveston made SA look like a rank amateur, though - LOTS of cities had 'em in the early days.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 AM

87 posts, read 64,846 times
In my neighborhood one of the Grandmothers was ill repute. She even had her license (the photo covered up!). I saw on the wrong couch once when I was talking to her grand-daughter who was going to Church with me at the time and she asked her Granddaughter if I was there to see her. She had to tell her no. Old habits die hard... especially if that Woman was never busted.

Last edited by TexasBard79; 12-09-2018 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio