U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 PM

119 posts, read 497,820 times

Advertisements

Thanks wCat, I've already bought 3 maps online. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 09:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,738,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobvandy View Post
Thanks wCat, I've already bought 3 maps online. Can't wait!
I'm afraid I'm going to also.

I was in Austin and stopped in the GLO....what a trip! The historian was a sweet elderly lady that couldn't WAIT to show me the real maps in a huge vault. Many of them were original pen and ink survey maps of early county boundarys.

If anyone ever gets to go up there, ask to look at the huge map of Bexar County. It's about 6ft sqare or bigger and is in a huge plat drawer. She showed me a very early map of San Antonio and right above the San Antonio river source, about where Olmos Dam is now was a very small settlement called "Avoca". Supposedly Davy Crockett had a home there for the short time he was in San Antonio. I think "Avoca" is a Scottish word.....I'll have to check on the meaning.

SMUBOY.....GREAT MAPS! Do you have actual copies? I'm dying to see the first one you posted.....of SA in 1950. Do you see Zercher Rd where it intersects Nacogdoches? That is now the intersection of Loop 410 and Nacogdoches. Your map shows a little group of streets that would now be in the Northwoods area. I'm dying to know what that is. Just SE of that intersection on your map. Can you see it?

It's interesting that the airport is shown on that map....obviously in it's early days. Bitters Rd is still intact on that map....before the portion in front of MacArthur High School got cut off.

BTW - There's a small fragment of Zercher Rd left in that area. Maybe by the Time Machine Restaurant somewhere. Zercher was the name of the family that owned a lot of that land that is now Oak Park...and parts north of 410.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,521,120 times
Cat, Nope I got the 1950 map from the San Antonio freeway's page. Zercher looks like it follows the path of the current day 410. Also did you notice that Harry Wurzbach was also the name for NW Military. Eisenhauer rd. ends at Ira Lee and the portion between N. New Braunfels and Austin Highway is named Klaus Rd. Also Northwood would have just started to have been built in 1950. Our Northwood home was built in 1949 and our neighbors is WWII era.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,421,330 times
Thanks for the pics.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,738,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
San Antonio, 1950
http://texhwyman3.home.att.net/hist/bexar50map.jpg (broken link)
Sorry to copy this map all over again, but it's hard to talk about it without it being on the same page.

Quote:
smuboy86: Also did you notice that Harry Wurzbach was also the name for NW Military

I did notice this.....it looks like the original name was "Harry Wurzbach Military Highway". The path zig zags from Fort Sam
Houston all the way up to (Leon Springs Military Reservation) now, Camp Bullis where they held lots of training and drills.
Apparently that was a main road during the two World Wars. That is so interesting. It appears (I wish I could zoom in!)
that the little junction near the airport must have eventually cut the road in half with expansion at the airport. That
explains why the lower half from Fort Sam to Loop 410 is now just "Harry Wurzbach" Rd......and the upper half is now
"NW Military Highway". I can't remember the discussion about SW Military and NW Military Highways, but it doesn't look
like they ever connected.

Very interesting!

I looked up the Wurzbach family, and there were 3 prominent Wurzbachs in San Antonio. Charles Wurzbach was the
father and I was told that he owned the land near "Wurzbach" road (that parallels Huebner). He had two sons....one of them
was "Harry Wurzbach" who became a Texas State Representative and local attorney. Not sure if he owned land near
there, or if the road was just named in his honor. The latter sounds more likely.

So..."Wurzbach Rd" and "Harry Wurzbach Hwy" are not named after the same person.....but they were related!

Last edited by wCat; 02-28-2007 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-28-2007, 09:27 PM

545 posts, read 2,089,552 times
I worked with a teacher last year who had an aerial map of San Antonio from the early 60's hanging on his wall. If I remember right, the first part of what is now 410 was completed on this particular map and but was still called Harry Wurzbach and connected what is currently Harry Wurzbach road and NW Military. I too, noticed that it ran all the way from Ft. Sam up to Camp Bullis. If you look at the road configuration today, you can see the smooth curves between HW and 410 as well as 410 to NW Military, probably making it easy for military vehicles to easily make the trek at highway speeds.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I can't wait to see them! (my kids run when I pull out the maps! )

Here's a map of San Antonio in 1909. The large green area to the upper right that says 'drill grounds' is Fort Sam Houston Army Post. Directly across to the left is Brackenridge Park. Right above that is a little tributary with a circle and that denotes the source of the San Antonio River. The branch that runs into that is Olmos Creek. That's the current campus of the University of Incarnate Word. Alamo Heights would be right above that.

You can see that they were attempting a "grid" by this time, but the main streets were already in place. It looks more like a crazy quilt to me!

Oh...also Courtesy of the Texas State Archives General Land Office web site.
I'm finally able to see the maps you posted...photobucket is blocked where I work, so I had to check them out at home.

I have a really big copy of that 1909 map, and I found it interesting that Woodlawn Lake is called West End Lake and all of the streets surrounding it have different names than they have today....like they were trying to make it a distinct neighborhood from the areas east Fred Road, where the roads become "disjointed". Of course, at that time, that part of the city was considered a resort area, and the area around Jefferson High School was nothing but vacant lots.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,652,017 times
10 at DeZavala in 1966.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 PM

Wow...who knew? Can you imagine the killing you would make if your family had some land out there?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,521,120 times
I had a friend in High school who's grandfather owned most of the land where Northwoods is at 1604/281, but was forced to sell at the height of the 80's land crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or