U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2008, 01:52 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX (78201)
604 posts, read 1,671,479 times
Reputation: 238

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
I also noticed there is no HW151 or even a little dirt road there.
Hwy 151 is only about 10 maybe 15 years old, it didn't replace any kind of old road or highway, it's just straight up "new". It was built to connect Sea World and the booming Westover Hills area to US 90 and Downtown, for faster and easier access
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2008, 11:50 AM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,738,177 times
Reputation: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
acutally the headwaters are in Incarnate Word so that's the site right there. And that east-west street right there must be Hildebrand or it's predecesor
Chris...you're right about the "blue hole" being on the IWU campus. There was a thread somewhere that talked about that in length.....even with picture. This particular map does not reflect the campus at that time period. This map has been reprinted several times with different dates, so I'm not exactly sure what year it reflects in SA history.

I wish I could find that thread.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
57 posts, read 193,183 times
Reputation: 26
I'd like to see what was out near the Ingram/Callaghan/410 area around the1800's but of course San Antonio did not reach that far. Itried searching for maps but found nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
Reputation: 163266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
Hwy 151 is only about 10 maybe 15 years old, it didn't replace any kind of old road or highway, it's just straight up "new". It was built to connect Sea World and the booming Westover Hills area to US 90 and Downtown, for faster and easier access
Yep! cut across farm lands such as Van de Walle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 12:07 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
Reputation: 163266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly25:17 View Post
I'd like to see what was out near the Ingram/Callaghan/410 area around the1800's but of course San Antonio did not reach that far. Itried searching for maps but found nothing.
Nothing is probably all that was there except farm and ranch land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
Reputation: 163266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Chris...you're right about the "blue hole" being on the IWU campus. There was a thread somewhere that talked about that in length.....even with picture. This particular map does not reflect the campus at that time period. This map has been reprinted several times with different dates, so I'm not exactly sure what year it reflects in SA history.

I wish I could find that thread.....
I read all about that thing way back somewhere. All our water sources started in that area. There was water towers or one anyway near where the botanical gardens are at the high point of Fulton St. I believe . Forget which park that is. Can't remember if it was old man Brackenridge or the namesake of that park had our city's first water supply. The guy who built Mt Rushmore worked on the design while living in an old pumphouse or something up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Smalltown, USA
3,111 posts, read 8,323,929 times
Reputation: 2036
Here is a link to the other thread about Tom Slick and ESSAR ranch:
Tom B Slick and the Essar Ranch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 02:02 PM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,738,177 times
Reputation: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly25:17 View Post
I'd like to see what was out near the Ingram/Callaghan/410 area around the1800's but of course San Antonio did not reach that far. Itried searching for maps but found nothing.
Hello Sly.....the area you mentioned was part of an original land grant issued to a "E. Plunkett". If you want to know more about the land grant process, check out the GLO website. (General Land Office of Texas). The earliest incorporated community in that area is Leon Valley and a few miles from that intersection, but was definitely rich in history. Leon Creek was once a vibrant water source when the water tables were higher. I'm sure there were lots of Native American Indian encampments along any of those creeks.

Leon Valley was not incorporated until 1950, but there were stage coach stops and post offices along the route to Bandera. Leon Valley most likely existed as a community long before it was officially incorporated. They have a historical committee and you may be able to find out more about that local area through their museum.

In 2001, the Express News wrote a lot about their efforts to restore the "Onion House" in Leon Valley to be made into their museum. I haven't been over there lately, but I'm sure progress has been made on that front in 7 years.

Here's a snippet about the Onion House in Leon Valley. I think there was a thread with a picture of it before it was restored. I wouldn't have a clue to how to find it in CD.

This info was written by a private individual on genealogy.com about the Onion House.

"....... its name may relate to John Frank Onion called Pete and born Joshua Franklin Onion in Harrison county Indiana in 1862 and moved to tyler texas in 1877 with his family. After serving in legislature from Tyler, he moved to San Antonio in 1892 and practiced in the firm of Henry and Onion. He was again elected to the state legislature to represent San Antonio. Reported to be descended from Wm Onion who immigrated from england to baltimore. As it evolved the family subsequently moved from Md. to NC, then Kentucky and Indiana.
I have an extensive letter to my mother dated 1975 from John F. Onion whose twin was a judge in San Antonio and outlining all this if you'd like a copy. -dko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
Reputation: 163266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
Hwy 151 is only about 10 maybe 15 years old, it didn't replace any kind of old road or highway, it's just straight up "new". It was built to connect Sea World and the booming Westover Hills area to US 90 and Downtown, for faster and easier access
I always thought 151 was a big waste of money. What does it save . Maybe 1 mile or so to 410 & 90. It just wasn't worth the effort.
If there going to keep building hwy's with such little impact we're gonna have a real mess.

Last edited by SATX56; 07-28-2008 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 03:40 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
57 posts, read 193,183 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Hello Sly.....the area you mentioned was part of an original land grant issued to a "E. Plunkett". If you want to know more about the land grant process, check out the GLO website. (General Land Office of Texas). The earliest incorporated community in that area is Leon Valley and a few miles from that intersection, but was definitely rich in history. Leon Creek was once a vibrant water source when the water tables were higher. I'm sure there were lots of Native American Indian encampments along any of those creeks.

Leon Valley was not incorporated until 1950, but there were stage coach stops and post offices along the route to Bandera. Leon Valley most likely existed as a community long before it was officially incorporated. They have a historical committee and you may be able to find out more about that local area through their museum.

In 2001, the Express News wrote a lot about their efforts to restore the "Onion House" in Leon Valley to be made into their museum. I haven't been over there lately, but I'm sure progress has been made on that front in 7 years.

Here's a snippet about the Onion House in Leon Valley. I think there was a thread with a picture of it before it was restored. I wouldn't have a clue to how to find it in CD.

This info was written by a private individual on genealogy.com about the Onion House.

"....... its name may relate to John Frank Onion called Pete and born Joshua Franklin Onion in Harrison county Indiana in 1862 and moved to tyler texas in 1877 with his family. After serving in legislature from Tyler, he moved to San Antonio in 1892 and practiced in the firm of Henry and Onion. He was again elected to the state legislature to represent San Antonio. Reported to be descended from Wm Onion who immigrated from england to baltimore. As it evolved the family subsequently moved from Md. to NC, then Kentucky and Indiana.
I have an extensive letter to my mother dated 1975 from John F. Onion whose twin was a judge in San Antonio and outlining all this if you'd like a copy. -dko
Thanks for the info.Yes I know about the Onion/Joseph Huebner house.
I justwas wondering who owned the area where I used to live because to be honest we had a haunting there. A psychic friend of our family gave us info onthe person we had been seeing. His name is Juan Antonio Dominguez. So I was curious if that area was ranch land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top