Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 PM

5 posts, read 32,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Where was this homestead? I have some info on the DeZavala families in SA and would like to connect it with yours.
I'm not sure exactly where it is but I have done extensive research on the De Zavala families; primarily Lorenzo, his son Augustine and his daughter Adina and the impact they made in Texas and San Antonio history. I have an article by Sam Woolford written in 1957 about John Locke (Lockhill-Selma) and Augustine De Zavala where he is also interviewing Archi Gerfers about the homestead and the destruction of the homestead to make way for IH-10. She refers to it as the old house that sits on top of nine mile hill. It's an interesting article. Let me know what additional information you might need.

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
I would like to see more pics of san antonio from the 50's to 70's.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:21 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Smile Dezavala homestead

Hello everyone...just found this website, and going thru some of the posts on here....brings back a lot of memories. I grew up around the I-10- Dezavala area, and blew me away looking at that pic from the 60's!! From what I understand, the old Dezavala homestead was close to locke hill elementary school on the hill. I went to Locke Hill in the early 70's....the area sure looked different back then. There used to be a spring way back in the back of the school property that was supposedly the location of an old stagecoach stop along the pinta trail. Adina Dezavala lived not far from this spring, according to some reading I have done on her. Love to hear from others who grew up around this area........

Old 12-19-2007, 11:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmapes View Post
I'm not sure exactly where it is but I have done extensive research on the De Zavala families; primarily Lorenzo, his son Augustine and his daughter Adina and the impact they made in Texas and San Antonio history. I have an article by Sam Woolford written in 1957 about John Locke (Lockhill-Selma) and Augustine De Zavala where he is also interviewing Archi Gerfers about the homestead and the destruction of the homestead to make way for IH-10. She refers to it as the old house that sits on top of nine mile hill. It's an interesting article. Let me know what additional information you might need.

Eric
Actually this does not make sense. The article, or her memory, must be wrong. Nine Mile hill is where Fredricksburg and Wurzbach intersect. That's a mile away from I-10. Both the Wurzbach family estate and the Wolfe's Inn were at the top of Nine Mill hill in 1915, and both of them were not disturbed at all when I-10 was built. And the "Old House on Nine Mile hill" still stands today, it is part of the Wurzbach estate. The first attachement is the house itself as it looked in the early 1960's I think. The second attachement is a terrain map from Google identifying where Nine Mile Hill is (for more confirmation, look at some of Primo's posts on the Gone But Not Forgotten Thread). The last attachment is a Google satalite view of the house today.
Attached Thumbnails
San Antonio Early History!-old-house-9-mile-hile.jpg   San Antonio Early History!-old-house-9-mile-hill1.jpg   San Antonio Early History!-old-house-9-mile-hill2.jpg  

Old 12-19-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Eric
Could you post or scan the artilce here?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Actually, Now I really would like to see that article! There seems to be other inconsistencies in it. LockHill Selma road was named after William Jackson Locke. However, he had a son named John, who had a home where the Gunn Acura dealership is now on I-10. That was certainly not 9 Mile Hill. 9 Mile Hill was a specific location named for the fact it was a hill exactly 9 miles from San Antonio at that time. The Gunn dealership, where John Locke's house was, was a few miles past that. Dezavala had a house almost next door to Locke, it was directly across the street (Then Fredricksburg, today 1-10) from the original Locke Hill school, whose structure still stands as the Northside Alternative Middle School. Judging by the amount of land today that is consumed by I-10 in front of that building, the DeZavala house must have surely been torned down by its construction. Perhaps she is talking about this house?

Interestingly, William Jackson Locke and Augustin Dezavala are reputed to have had a huge rivalry. One of their big disagreements took place over what to name the area at the time: Locke Hill or Shavano.

Locke Hill itself was the hill between Bandera and Huebner Roads, east of I-10. I presume, but can't confirm, William Jackson Locke's home must have been in this area.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:50 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
There are too many to link too but below are two links from the Perry-Castañeda map collection. They are quite fascinating.:

http://www.birdseyeviews.org/zoom.ph...73&extra_info=

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...ex_cities.html

I have read that the Apaches for a time used to come up right to the hills near Ingram and Culebra. The main roads indeed were made like a spokes that connected to other cities as an earlier poster stated. The street layouts of San Antonio is ordered around those, and of course the Interstates, and have been compared to European city street layouts. Many of the other major streets around town are named after the farmers who at one time or another came into possession of the land.

+ for some reason i cannot add links with html or vB code so cut and paste

Last edited by Merovee; 12-24-2007 at 06:02 AM..

Old 12-24-2007, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 32,457 times
Quote:
Actually, Now I really would like to see that article! There seems to be other inconsistencies in it. LockHill Selma road was named after William Jackson Locke. However, he had a son named John, who had a home where the Gunn Acura dealership is now on I-10. That was certainly not 9 Mile Hill. 9 Mile Hill was a specific location named for the fact it was a hill exactly 9 miles from San Antonio at that time. The Gunn dealership, where John Locke's house was, was a few miles past that. Dezavala had a house almost next door to Locke, it was directly across the street (Then Fredricksburg, today 1-10) from the original Locke Hill school, whose structure still stands as the Northside Alternative Middle School. Judging by the amount of land today that is consumed by I-10 in front of that building, the DeZavala house must have surely been torned down by its construction. Perhaps she is talking about this house?

Interestingly, William Jackson Locke and Augustin Dezavala are reputed to have had a huge rivalry. One of their big disagreements took place over what to name the area at the time: Locke Hill or Shavano.

Locke Hill itself was the hill between Bandera and Huebner Roads, east of I-10. I presume, but can't confirm, William Jackson Locke's home must have been in this area.
GWhopper,
I will try to scan the entire article and save it here on this site. If not I can send you a hard copy that I have.

Eric

Old 12-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
GWhopper,
I will try to scan the entire article and save it here on this site. If not I can send you a hard copy that I have.

Eric
Very cool, thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:

Is GWhopper still around? I'm wondering if he ever got this info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio