U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM

33 posts, read 104,013 times
Angry Traffic issues at the Stone Ridge Market HEB Plus store

I am a big fan of the new store, but what it has done to the existing traffic is terrible.

I assume that HEB has a lot of clout within the city, so maybe until the big picture gets resolved they can at least get a proper turning lane heading north on 281 at Evans.

Please tell me if I am wrong here.

Last edited by Bo; 11-12-2008 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,260 posts, read 19,757,512 times
US 281 is TxDOT's responsibility, not the city's. AFAIK, all that the city or HEB can do about a turn lane is beg TxDOT for it.

Keep in mind that the Ancira dealership on 281 closed partly because the Anciras were dissatisfied with TxDOT's response to traffic issues on 281. I wouldn't hold out much hope that HEB can get TxDOT to act on its own.

Last edited by Bo; 11-07-2008 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,096,575 times
More people = more traffic.
More traffic = HEB Plus
Heb Plus = More People
More People = More Traffic

Usually none of the above = better traffic infastucture. Better traffic infastructure up front does not make money it costs money.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 PM

447 posts, read 536,647 times
TXDOT peeps are being total jerks. They say NO improvements can be made until another environmental study is done and that will take 3 to 5 years . . . not even turning lanes. No asphalt, nothing. I would suggest you write your local and state representatives and tell them you think the lack of improvements is CRIMINAL!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM

46 posts, read 99,080 times
The last environmental impact study was done all wrong. A new one will take only 2 years if done right. There will not be any toll roads, this is one of the reasons why the traffic is so screwed up on 281 north of 1604...the fight over the toll roads. Tolls Roads will never happen in San Antonio.

Txdot will then after the second environmental impact study is done, upgrade 281...maybe not past borgfield...but they will probably do a 281\1604 interchange, and add 4 lanes on each side of 281 and overpasses for Evans, Stoneoak, and encino rio and redland.

Just think what Redland and 281 is gonna be like when the Tesoro building is completed next year....

At least they are upgrading blanco road....past the super target.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 PM

51 posts, read 140,675 times
Ah....that is why I am breaking my lease after a month and moving to downtown. 281 traffic is horrendous!!!! And it does not matter what time of day or night.....OVERPASS!!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:17 PM

9,993 posts, read 9,039,682 times
Keeping stupid people off of 281 would help a lot.
I drive from 410 to 1604 every day and I see at least 2 people driving slow while talking on their cell phone every day.

The other day I was driving a little North of 410, huge traffic jam, it starts moving (45mph) and a lady was on the left lane still doing 25mph while talking on her cell phone

Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,690,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Keeping stupid people off of 281 would help a lot.
I drive from 410 to 1604 every day and I see at least 2 people driving slow while talking on their cell phone every day.

The other day I was driving a little North of 410, huge traffic jam, it starts moving (45mph) and a lady was on the left lane still doing 25mph while talking on her cell phone
werd! today I almost took some jackass that stopped on a green light on wiseman I guess the thought the call was more important. Who the hell thought it was a good Idea to put traffic lights on a highway. even though technically its just a city road, but those lights are really crazy. other than that I think a darn good job stopping an 80000lb truck withing 300-400 feet good thing no other idiot decided to cut into my braking space.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:24 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,611,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiphanes View Post
The last environmental impact study was done all wrong. A new one will take only 2 years if done right. There will not be any toll roads, this is one of the reasons why the traffic is so screwed up on 281 north of 1604...the fight over the toll roads. Tolls Roads will never happen in San Antonio.

Txdot will then after the second environmental impact study is done, upgrade 281...maybe not past borgfield...but they will probably do a 281\1604 interchange, and add 4 lanes on each side of 281 and overpasses for Evans, Stoneoak, and encino rio and redland.

Just think what Redland and 281 is gonna be like when the Tesoro building is completed next year....

At least they are upgrading blanco road....past the super target.
If we don't use toll roads don't count on any solution. There is very little public money available for road construction, and that has been allocated for major projects in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. Not to mention Perry's Trans-Texas Corridor dream. Just be glad we got 410 expanded and new interchanges. The only other possibility would be a public/private partnerships such as the La Cantera Pkwy extension proposal. I just hope the 1604 expansion project isn't derailed by the 281 decision.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:37 PM

9,993 posts, read 9,039,682 times
I guess I'm not the only one that has seen this idiots that can't talk on their cell phone while driving over 35MPH.

I went to HEB-Plus today (Sunday) at 2:00pm and I couldn't believe the traffic there, it looked like rush hour anywhere else.

Has anybody thought about taxing the ...... out of those businesses that are benefitting from the 281 traffic to build an overpass on Evans???
Besides, without all those businesses, there wouldn't be that much of a need for those traffic lights.

Make them pay for an overpass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio