U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 10,366 times

Advertisements

Hello...we are relocating to the San Antonio area from Florida. Husband will be working in Geronimo. We have a family of 7 beagles and I have found many suburb areas do not allow that many pets. New Brunfels allows 4, I think I have read where San Marcos allows 5 but if you have more you have to pay 10.00 extra for each pet.

What is everyone's take on San Marcos. My dogs are indoor dogs, so they really aren't pests to anyone. Are there any other areas near Geronimo that allows multiple pets?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:34 PM

3,157 posts, read 5,202,151 times
You might want to contact some of the small suburban cities that lie just outside NE San Antonio - Cibolo, Selma, Schertz, Garden Ridge. I don't know if these cities have restrictions on the number of pets you can have, but as far as I can tell, they don't overtly publicize that information if they do. San Antonio allows a maximum of five dogs. Most other area cities that have restrictions only allow three or four.

Another option would be a subdivision located outside city limits, and those are fairly common here. I don't think counties generally have pet restrictions. Just be aware if the subdivision has an HOA, there may be pet restricitions. Also, the subdivision could be annexed by a nearby city in the future.

You didn't say whether you would be buying or renting, but it is not unusual for a landlord to prohibit pets of any type in their properties.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 PM

6,201 posts, read 8,674,295 times
Have you looked into Seguin or Stockdale? Those are right down the way on 123 from Geronimo.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:33 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,241,962 times
7 Beagles and they are all indoor dogs? How on earth do you keep the house clean and stay sane? For a year, we had 4 dogs and the place was a zoo.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM

14,629 posts, read 31,242,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
7 Beagles and they are all indoor dogs? How on earth do you keep the house clean and stay sane? For a year, we had 4 dogs and the place was a zoo.
The baying alone would make me crazy. Get them all going at once and I bet the neighborhood will be on her steps demanding answers.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:39 AM

556 posts, read 1,836,195 times
Cheri - good luck with your move - I hope it all goes well! We live inside the northeast portion of the SA city limits and we have seven inside dogs. The limit here is 5 dogs, however, the city offers an excess animal permit to folks like you and I!

You can see the excess animal permit here:
http://www.sanantonio.gov/animalcare...%2010.2008.pdf

All your dogs must be spayed/neutered, as well as current on vaccinations and microchipped. If you need to get some of this done to meet those requirements, our city has many organizations who offer low or no cost clinics to assist with this.

So if you decide to settle inside SA, once you are moved in, go to the new ACS location out on Hwy 151 and complete the paperwork and pay the $25/year permit fee. They will arrange a home visit, and once that is completed, your permit is mailed to you within a few weeks.

I'm always surprised by people who think because we have multiple inside dogs, that our homes are exceptionally dirty and/or loud. Everyone is housetrained and outside of a good game of wrestling or the occasional ringing door bell, the house is also pretty quiet and relatively well kept - although even if there were NO dogs - I HATE to dust

Also - according to the city - barking dogs is a noise abatement issue - not a 'how many do you have' issue. Unless the barking is related to injury, abuse or neglect, a dog can bark without recourse until 10pm.......some people might not like this - but it's how the city responds to calls about 'excessive barking'.

Cheri - good for you for doing your homework prior to making your move! And again - best of luck on your move - I hope you will like living in this area. Geronimo is rural and I bet you won't have any problems with your dogs if you decide to live in some of those rural areas. I just wanted to let you know you can live in SA as well if you choose to do so!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 10,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
Cheri - good luck with your move - I hope it all goes well! We live inside the northeast portion of the SA city limits and we have seven inside dogs. The limit here is 5 dogs, however, the city offers an excess animal permit to folks like you and I!

You can see the excess animal permit here:
http://www.sanantonio.gov/animalcare...%2010.2008.pdf

All your dogs must be spayed/neutered, as well as current on vaccinations and microchipped. If you need to get some of this done to meet those requirements, our city has many organizations who offer low or no cost clinics to assist with this.

So if you decide to settle inside SA, once you are moved in, go to the new ACS location out on Hwy 151 and complete the paperwork and pay the $25/year permit fee. They will arrange a home visit, and once that is completed, your permit is mailed to you within a few weeks.

I'm always surprised by people who think because we have multiple inside dogs, that our homes are exceptionally dirty and/or loud. Everyone is housetrained and outside of a good game of wrestling or the occasional ringing door bell, the house is also pretty quiet and relatively well kept - although even if there were NO dogs - I HATE to dust

Also - according to the city - barking dogs is a noise abatement issue - not a 'how many do you have' issue. Unless the barking is related to injury, abuse or neglect, a dog can bark without recourse until 10pm.......some people might not like this - but it's how the city responds to calls about 'excessive barking'.

Cheri - good for you for doing your homework prior to making your move! And again - best of luck on your move - I hope you will like living in this area. Geronimo is rural and I bet you won't have any problems with your dogs if you decide to live in some of those rural areas. I just wanted to let you know you can live in SA as well if you choose to do so!

Thanks for your response Rottnboys, ged_782 and ashbeeigh. My dogs are housetrained and the barking isn't a issue and surprise, surprise, my house is clean.

Seguin and New Brunfels we can only have 4.

San Marcos, we can have all 7, but we will have to pay an additional 20.00 per dog per year, so that isn't to bad. So it looks as though I will be searching San Marcos for decent areas and houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio